Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats turn Washington D.C. into America's Forbidden City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Do I? Goodness me Sparko have you been studying the livers again?
    Your response to rogue pointing out that the fact checkers actually fact checked a Bee story about CNN using a giant washing machine was to say:

"Satire and/or practical jokes done really well can be very convincing"

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You are the grammar nazi, I'm sure you can figure out how to write a sentence referring to a specific piece of satire.
      The reluctance to pick up the gauntlet is duly noted.

(Perhaps the word "that" would have sufficed).
      The word "that" is not an qualifier. It is a pronoun and generally used to indicate something, e.g. That chair over there is empty. Or That is despicable behaviour.

However, in what way would you have utilised that pronoun in your reworked sentence[s[?

But, given that you made a pure unqualified statement, that's on you to be more clear.
      I judged it unnecessary within the context in which I was writing. However, I did acknowledge that [with hindsight] perhaps I should have done so.

Now to the big question.

Can you bring yourself to agree/recognise/accept the fact that at post #31 I made that acknowledgement?
      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 03-09-2021, 08:52 AM.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Your response to rogue pointing out that the fact checkers actually fact checked a Bee story about CNN using a giant washing machine was to say:

"Satire and/or practical jokes done really well can be very convincing"

I did not specify the precise case that he cited and nor did I make any reference to fooling fact checkers.

I offered a general observation on satire and practical jokes and then gave some examples of practical jokes/satire that [in my opinion] have been very well done.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You are the grammar nazi,....
          This is about me, isn't it?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You boys need to stop picking on the girlies!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I did not specify the precise case that he cited and nor did I make any reference to fooling fact checkers.

I offered a general observation on satire and practical jokes and then gave some examples of practical jokes/satire that [in my opinion] have been very well done.
              Riggght. You just happened to mention that as a response to his post but it had nothing to do with his example whatsoever. Sure. That makes complete sense.

Comment

Wait, now you are saying you made a general observation. Your defense was that your observation was specific and related to the conversation.

Which is it? You are tying yourself in knots.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Riggght. You just happened to mention that as a response to his post but it had nothing to do with his example whatsoever. Sure. That makes complete sense.
                  Yes in response to the general exchanges about people believing nonsensical rumours and gossip.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The word "that" is not an qualifier. It is a pronoun and generally used to indicate something, e.g. That chair over there is empty. Or That is despicable behaviour.
                    Sure it is. "Chairs are uncomfortable" is a blanket statement. "That chair is uncomfortable" would limit the statement to that single chair.

You made a blanket statement.

I judged it unnecessary within the context in which I was writing. However, I did acknowledge that [with hindsight] perhaps I should have done so.
                    You don't give that benefit to others. You harp on their qualifiers/your pedantic arguments without regard to the conversational context. Why should that benefit be extended to you? Shouldn't you be judged by your own grammar nazi standards?

Comment

Cow Poke

Perhaps you would like to request that Civil Discourse ceases to derail your thread.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Sure it is. "Chairs are uncomfortable" is a blanket statement. "That chair is uncomfortable" would limit the statement to that single chair.

You made a blanket statement.

You don't give that benefit to others. You harp on their qualifiers/your pedantic arguments without regard to the conversational context. Why should that benefit be extended to you? Shouldn't you be judged by your own grammar nazi standards?
                        You want to start a thread on correct usage of English grammar? Be my guest. However, I suspect you won't.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Cow Poke

Perhaps you would like to request that Civil Discourse ceases to derail your thread.
                          I will certainly give that a mull.

Comment

You want to start a thread on correct usage of English grammar? Be my guest. However, I suspect you won't.
                            You seem upset that your own grammar nazi behavior is being applied to you. Again, why do you think your conversational context should be used to judge your statements when you don't offer that to others?

That or you could not make blanket statements.

Comment

Cow Poke

?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-KSB6lZfHL0k%2FUX-itoraKeI%2FAAAAAAAALh0%2Fto-I16Zl_84%2Fs1600%2FRicky-Gervais.gif&f=1&nofb=1.gif?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FsZDPNsiMeGgrC%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1.gif?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif&f=1&nofb=1.gif

Comment

Cow Poke

Kind of sounds like some who has boxed themselves in pleading for assistance.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment