Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats turn Washington D.C. into America's Forbidden City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Given the number of times Babylon Bee has been fact checked, you suspicion doesn't look so good.
    I like to say that the Babylon Bee isn't satire - it's prophecy.
    Sparko or Rogue has said it's a "how to" book for liberals.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Two thoughts:

1 - The Jan 6 attack on the Capitol was a very serious attempt to subvert the transfer of power in our democracy and should not be taken lightly. The people who instigated, planned and executed this attack should all be prosecuted and punished. This should also be thoroughly investigated, and that should include investigation of right wing terrorism in the USA.
      Agreed. And at the same time we can also take a long hard look at all of the leftwing violence, especially from last year, and how certain politicians from that side pushed and promoted it

\2 - I do think that responses to events like this can be overkill. After someone with a shoe bomb tried to get on a plane, we have since had to remove our shoes to get on a plane. A stupid ritual. In the current situation, the Capitol should be protected as long as credible threats continue and until the right wing threat is fully evaluated and neutralized.
      There wasn't this sort of reaction every other time we've had protestors and rioters try to storm various government buildings in Washington, whether it be the March on the Pentagon in '67 or the Kavanaugh hearings in 2018.

When I first moved to DC, anyone could just walk into the Capitol and go sit in the gallery of the House or Senate chambers. This has not been possible for years.
      I moved away in the early 80s. I can only imagine the differences.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I like to say that the Babylon Bee isn't satire - it's prophecy.
        Sparko or Rogue has said it's a "how to" book for liberals.
        I think that was the mangy pirate. I've been among those who say the left has been utilizing Nineteen Eighty-Four by Orwell as their instruction manual.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Given the number of times Babylon Bee has been fact checked, you suspicion doesn't look so good.
          According to Wiki:

The Babylon Bee is a conservative Christian news satire website that publishes satirical articles on religion, politics, current events, and well-known public figures.

Which puts it in the same category as the Poke, the Onion, the Daily Mash, and Private Eye. Although Private Eye also has a large serious section that deals with issues much of the MSM [in Britain] does not.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

According to Wiki:

The Babylon Bee is a conservative Christian news satire website that publishes satirical articles on religion, politics, current events, and well-known public figures.

Which puts it in the same category as the Poke, the Onion, the Daily Mash, and Private Eye. Although Private Eye also has a large serious section that deals with issues much of the MSM [in Britain] does not.
            Interesting, but like so many times before, doesn't actually address what I said.

Comment

According to Wiki:

Perhaps you're missing the fact that some of the liberal outlets have mistakenly taken the articles posted at the Bee to be serious reporting, and they launch tirades against SATIRE.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Perhaps you're missing the fact that some of the liberal outlets have mistakenly taken the articles posted at the Bee to be serious reporting, and they launch tirades against SATIRE.
                Perchance they are the liberals with poorly functioning brains.

I accept that anyone can be gulled - the skills of legerdemain show that. However, everyone should keep in mind the question "Is it likely?"

In fact your comment reminds me of the stupidity of various so-called Royal "commentators". These various Benjamin Backbites and Snakes [I am sure you are familiar with the plot and dramatis personae of Richard Brinsley Sheridan's 1777 comedy The School for Scandal] have in the past few days been shown to be complete fools by a pair of Youtube pranksters who persuaded these windbags to offer their opinions on the Harry/Meghan/Oprah interview before it was broadcast.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...fore-seeing-it.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Perchance they are the liberals with poorly functioning brains.
                  That was my point! Facebook FACTCHECKED a cartoon!

I accept that anyone can be gulled - the skills of legerdemain show that. However, everyone should keep in mind the question "Is it likely?"

In fact your comment reminds me of the stupidity of various so-called Royal "commentators". These various Benjamin Backbites and Snakes [I am sure you are familiar with the plot and dramatis personae of Richard Brinsley Sheridan's 1777 comedy The School for Scandal] have in the past few days been shown to be complete fools by a pair of Youtube pranksters who persuaded these windbags to offer their opinions on the Harry/Meghan/Oprah interview before it was broadcast.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...fore-seeing-it.
                  We miss you in the boys' prison.

Comment

That was my point! Facebook FACTCHECKED a cartoon!-
                    Foolhardiness or even idiocy knows no political boundaries.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Foolhardiness or even idiocy knows no political boundaries.
                      But it feels most at home on the left.

Comment

According to Wiki:

From your source

The satirical news articles presented by The Babylon Bee have been fact-checked by Snopes repeatedly, and some of these fact-checks have been controversial. For example, in March 2018, The Babylon Bee published an article quipping that CNN was using an industrial-sized washing machine to "spin" the news. Snopes fact-checked the article, rating it "false". Facebook then cited this fact-check in a warning message to The Babylon Bee, threatening to limit their content distribution and monetization. Ford tweeted a screenshot of the warning message to his followers, drawing public attention to the matter. Facebook quickly apologized, with the statement that "there's a difference between false news and satire. This was a mistake and should not have been rated false in our system. It's since been corrected and won't count against the domain in any way."

Snopes has "fact checked" The Bee several times.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          From your source
                          Snopes has "fact checked" The Bee several times.

Satire and/or practical jokes done really well can be very convincing as a young Orson Welles and his Mercury Theatre company demonstrated on American radio in 1938 [although BBC radio was ahead of him with a hoax riot/rebellion it reported in January 1926]. On television the BBC played a practical joke on its audience in the late 1950s by having the respected television current affairs programme, Panorama, run a short piece on the Italian spaghetti harvest; and in 1992 it caused a national furore over its Halloween broadcast of Ghostwatch a "live event" on the supposed haunting of a suburban house.

On April 1st 1977 The Guardian newspaper published a spoof feature that ran to several pages on the fictitious island of San Serriffe. It ran a "follow-up" article on the island and its current political situation on April 1st 1999. In 2019 the paper announced a working party looking at ways of bringing the two opposing sides of the nation together after the divisions of Brexit. with the suggested appointment of a "healing tsar" [Bob Geldof was the alleged preferred choice]. Nor must we forget the Chinese official newspaper being fooled by an article in the Onion on the "heart-throb" Kim Jong Un.

It is self-evidently possible to fool some of the people most of the time.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

[SIZE=14px]
                            [FONT=Calibri]Satire and/or practical jokes done really well can be very convincing as a young Orson Welles and his Mercury Theatre company demonstrated on American radio in 1938 [although BBC radio was ahead of him with a hoax riot/rebellion it reported in January 1926].
                            And you said those with half a working brain should be able to tell them apart.

Comment

And you said those with half a working brain should be able to tell them apart.
                              I posted the Borowitz article in reply to Sparko's remark "So what happened to the "second attack" they were claiming was going to happen on March 4?"

S/he then replied "That actually sounds like something the liberals would believe, and claim is a serious threat." Hence it was the Borowitz spoof on which s/he was commenting.

That led to my comment " I suspect that any individual [liberal or otherwise] with even half a brain working would recognise satire when they came across it."

In other words I considered it highly unlikely that anyone [irrespective of their political persuasion] who had the capacity to think rationally would regard the article as genuine, particularly given the fact that Andy Borowitz regularly writes short satirical articles in the New Yorker.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I posted the Borowitz article in reply to Sparko's remark "So what happened to the "second attack" they were claiming was going to happen on March 4?"

S/he then replied "That actually sounds like something the liberals would believe, and claim is a serious threat." Hence it was the Borowitz spoof on which s/he was commenting.

That led to my comment " I suspect that any individual [liberal or otherwise] with even half a brain working would recognise satire when they came across it."

In other words I considered it highly unlikely that anyone [irrespective of their political persuasion] who had the capacity to think rationally would regard the article as genuine, particularly given the fact that Andy Borowitz regularly writes short satirical articles in the New Yorker.
                                You said they would recognize satire when they came across it. Not that they would recognize that specific satire when they came across it. You should have put a qualifier there if that's what you meant.

Comment