Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is investigative journalism dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is investigative journalism dead?

I know real life journalism isn't exactly like in fiction, but the fictional reporters seem to do a better job of exposing corruption and revealing the truth. Though, I'm pretty sure real reporters would just call the police if they stumbled upon evidence of a crime istead of solving it themselves.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

In answer to the thread title's question - Pretty much, yes.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know if this thread is in the right place to discuss the accuracy of fictional investigative journalism that's more an excuse to have the characters solve crimes. Least it makes more sense than random kids or teens.

Comment

No, not at all. If anything, the Internet makes it easier for such people to report their findings.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          I know real life journalism isn't exactly like in fiction, but the fictional reporters seem to do a better job of exposing corruption and revealing the truth. Though, I'm pretty sure real reporters would just call the police if they stumbled upon evidence of a crime istead of solving it themselves.
          As far as relying on a few big corporate networks to tell us truth and facts? Beyond question. The plus side to that is that not only have they lost their credibility to a lot of folks as a result, but individuals have been forced to become their own investigative journalists thanks to the internet. The latter is both a good thing and a bad thing, but the good outweighs the bad I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

As far as relying on a few big corporate networks to tell us truth and facts? Beyond question. The plus side to that is that not only have they lost their credibility to a lot of folks as a result, but individuals have been forced to become their own investigative journalists thanks to the internet. The latter is both a good thing and a bad thing, but the good outweighs the bad I believe.
            Unfortunately, our public schools no longer teach critical thinking, so people will tend to succumb to confirmation bias - accepting those sources that agree, and dismissing those that don't.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And I would advise against playing detective to catch violent criminals. No rescue in the nick of time likely in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                The Panama Papers
                Cambridge Analytica scandal
                Indian human trafficking exposé
                Ed Snowden's revelations
                Phone hacking in the UK - and elsewhere - by tabloid newspapers
                Bangladesh PM's connections to organised crime.
                Netzpolitik revelations on expansion of German Secret Service’s Internet surveillance program

Those are just a sample that came immediately to mind.

Investigative journalism is far from dead.
                Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 03-05-2021, 05:43 PM.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

It mat be dead in the MSM. I think it's still there in some other sites and outlets plus my local news does a pretty good investigative section.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Unfortunately, our public schools no longer teach critical thinking, so people will tend to succumb to confirmation bias - accepting those sources that agree, and dismissing those that don't.
                    It's gotten really bad since I was went to school for sure.

Comment

Pretty sure I learned more outside of school than in it. It was mostly busy work and that was a good school!

Comment

There's are a lot of misconceptions about journalism. The romantic image of a world weary reporter doggedly working to uncover the truth is more myth than reality. It's always been a shady business. Ulysses S. Grant in his memoir described those who reported on the Civil War:

Correspondents of the press were ever on hand to hear every word dropped, and were not always disposed to report correctly what did not confirm their preconceived notions, either about the conduct of the war or the individuals concerned in it.

Newspapers were traditionally started by rich businessmen who wanted the stories of the day told from their own point of view. Even the "golden age" of television news with his highness Walter Cronkite, promoted as "The most trusted man in America" by his publicists, wasn't any better with things like it's slanted view of the Vietnam War that turned public sentiment against soldiers. Even the famous Woodward and Bernstein Watergate report isn't everything it's been made out to be -- they did more compiling of information that had become public knowledge rather than actually uncovering anything on their own.

It's always best to keep this mind: the number one goal of the news business is not to report the truth, but to make money, and lies sell just as well as the truth.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-05-2021, 08:28 PM.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Even the "golden age" of television news with his highness Walter Cronkite, promoted as "The most trusted man in America" by his publicists, wasn't any better with things like it's slanted view of the Vietnam War that turned public sentiment against soldiers.
                          Slanted any more than the war itself? Also, do you think it was intentional? You say money drives news, which is true, but the war Vietnam war was driven by economic interests, like most conflicts.

Even the famous Woodward and Bernstein Watergate report isn't everything it's been made out to be -- they did more compiling of information that had become public knowledge rather than actually uncovering anything on their own.
                          Yes, that's what reporters do. They're not Fletch breaking into junkyards looking through file cabinets. They access public domain information and then report on it.

It's always best to keep this mind: the number one goal of the news business is not to report the truth, but to make money, and lies sell just as well as the truth.
                          Yes, it's like religion that way.

Comment

There's are a lot of misconceptions about journalism. The romantic image of a world weary reporter doggedly working to uncover the truth is more myth than reality. It's always been a shady business. Ulysses S. Grant in his memoir described those who reported on the Civil War:

Correspondents of the press were ever on hand to hear every word dropped, and were not always disposed to report correctly what did not confirm their preconceived notions, either about the conduct of the war or the individuals concerned in it.

Newspapers were traditionally started by rich businessmen who wanted the stories of the day told from their own point of view. Even the "golden age" of television news with his highness Walter Cronkite, promoted as "The most trusted man in America" by his publicists, wasn't any better with things like it's slanted view of the Vietnam War that turned public sentiment against soldiers. Even the famous Woodward and Bernstein Watergate report isn't everything it's been made out to be -- they did more compiling of information that had become public knowledge rather than actually uncovering anything on their own.

From my personal and very limited experience, the newspaper editor and publisher ran the show. The first ones I worked with were principled and tried to be unbiased, and mostly succeeded. The last ones I worked with were more concerned with sales than with integrity. Not that they were dishonest, but I felt journalism wasn't their top priority.

I used to enjoy opening up a newspaper in the morning and cruising through it with a cup of java. Information moves too fast for newspapers these days. Sad.

Comment