Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ferguson activists demand $20m from BLM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson activists demand $20m from BLM

Ferguson activists demand $20m from BLM

BLM has reportedly given $500 toward activism in Ferguson, where the organization allegedly started.
    Father of Michael Brown is demanding more.

michael brown.jpg
    • Ferguson, Missouri, activists claim they haven't received any of the newly-revealed money from the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation
    • They would use the money for a foundation, community center and activism
    • Michael Brown Sr. says he's received just $500 from BLM-associated groups
    • Michael Brown Jr. was killed by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri in August 2014 - a major catalyst for the Black Lives Matter movement

Michael Brown Sr. is among the Black Lives Matter activists demanding $20 million from the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation after its finances were disclosed for the first time - revealing the group raked in $90 million in donations last year.

The nonprofit shared its financial snapshot with The Associated Press amid accusations from local chapters that they are not being given any of the money.

Brown, whose son Michael Brown Jr., was killed by police in Ferguson, Missouri, in 2014 says he and his advocacy group have been short-changed by the larger BLM organization.

'Why hasn't my family's foundation received any assistance from the movement?' Brown asked in a statement Tuesday.

'Who are they giving it to and what are they doing with it?'

Brown Jr.'s death at the hands of a police officer helped kick off the BLM movement.

The International Black Freedom Alliance, which was started in St. Louis and is affiliated with Brown, is taking up Brown's cause and demanding money from BLM for local causes.

The alliance said that 'the momentum from the 2014 unrest and the subsequent protest that local activists organized for several months after were the catalyst for the group being propelled into the position to receive the 90 million,' referring to BLM's take.

It's asking for $20 million for groups in Ferguson - money that would help fund a foundation in honor of Michael Brown Jr., a community center in his name, organizing grants and programs for the local black community, it says.

'We just hope that the Black lives in Ferguson still matter to the movement,' said Tory Russell, co-founder of the The International Black Freedom Alliance.

The IBFA also said Brown has received received only $500 from any group associated with Black Lives Matter.

It isn't clear that the overarching BLM network has responded to Brown's demand.

But at the time it disclosed its $90 million in funding, the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation said it was now building infrastructure to catch up to the speed of its funding - and plans to use its endowment to become known for more than protests after black Americans die at the hands of police or vigilantes.

'We want to uplift Black joy and liberation, not just Black death. We want to see Black communities thriving, not just surviving,' the organization said in a report shared with the AP.
    Attached Files
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'm not surprised given the revelations on how much money the national organization has taken in. I suspect this will be an issue for awhile between national and local chapters with minimal press coverage.

It does show be careful where you give your money. I was talking to my mom recently and suggested she start looking at local charities instead of national. A couple years ago, I made the same switch.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      I'm not surprised given the revelations on how much money the national organization has taken in. I suspect this will be an issue for awhile between national and local chapters with minimal press coverage.

It does show be careful where you give your money. I was talking to my mom recently and suggested she start looking at local charities instead of national. A couple years ago, I made the same switch.
      It's more proof that BLM isn't the wonderful anti-racist group they have fooled liberals into thinking they are. They're a shake-down group that makes Jesse Jackson look like an amateur.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
          I literally laugh out loud every time I see that.

Comment

What else would you expect from an organization that is based on a lie?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              What else would you expect from an organization that is based on a lie?
              I would expect they really don't give a flying flip about people of color.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I would expect they really don't give a flying flip about people of color.
                Unless they're green. Then it's all about the Benjamins.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"Follow the money!"

Comment