Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alex Jones and the First Amendment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kccd View Post

I made no effort to list all the variations on 9/11 Trutherism, only to point out two extremes and to note that one of those extremes has a basis in reality (that GWB was given a daily briefing that included warnings).

What deliberate lies were told in Ferguson? If someone deliberately tells lies that are then directly responsible for injuries and/or property damage, they should be held responsible. Would you charge Trump for lying about the election results, a lie that lead to the Jan 6 riot?
    Hands up, don't shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Hands up, don't shoot.
      And that caused cities to burn!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If someone is chanting Nazi slogans and wearing Nazi symbols, it is not out of line to describe them as Nazi sympathizers.

White supremacist groups do not hide the fact that they are White Supremacists.

This is not to claim that ALL conservatives or Republicans should be lumped together with these people, but it would be helpful if the rest of the conservatives and Republicans were more forceful in their denunciation of those groups.
        And it would be helpful if the Dems denounced Antifa and the violent strain in the BLM movement.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You are right that, for example, all speech from certain conspiracy theorists should not be banned, but the platforms they use can impose standards and either censor obviously false claims, or slap a warning label on such claims. After all, such platforms could be responsible for disseminating falsehoods that lead to violence or other types of harm.
          So you would be happy if Theologyweb started censoring your posts and making "fact checks" on everything you say to make sure it aligns with what we consider is "the Truth™?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

So you would be happy if Theologyweb started censoring your posts and making "fact checks" on everything you say to make sure it aligns with what we consider is "the Truth™?"
            Shuny would likely have to go, along with Firstfloor.

But, we can apply "Offensive" as a standard as well, that'll get rid of alot of posters, especially when the conservative mods get to decide what posts are offensive.

Comment

Jones is an evil person who also promulgated the claim that the Sandy Hook shooting was a false flag operation and that there were no dead children and the parents were crisis actors. Some of those parents have been hounded for years by threats to the point that one had to go into hiding.

There are limits to Constitutional rights and it seems to me that Jones crossed that line.
              Will Jones try and sell the members of the SCOTUS some of his patent cure-alls?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I am not familiar with this. Do you have a link?
                Maddow lawyer Theodore J. “Ted” Boutrous Jr. argued that the liberal host was clearly offering up her “own unique expression” of her views to capture what she saw as the “ridiculous” nature of the undisputed facts.

“Her comment, therefore, is a quintessential statement ‘of rhetorical hyperbole, incapable of being proved true or false,’” he said.

https://timesofsandiego.com/business...famation-suit/
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I made no effort to list all the variations on 9/11 Trutherism, only to point out two extremes and to note that one of those extremes has a basis in reality (that GWB was given a daily briefing that included warnings).

What deliberate lies were told in Ferguson? If someone deliberately tells lies that are then directly responsible for injuries and/or property damage, they should be held responsible. Would you charge Trump for lying about the election results, a lie that lead to the Jan 6 riot?
                  The whole "Hands up - Don't Shoot" mantra is a lie.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    And it would be helpful if the Dems denounced Antifa and the violent strain in the BLM movement.
                    It would be more helpful of Dems woke up discovered BLM is a scam, and a shakedown outfit that makes Jesse Jackson look like a boy scout.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Shuny would likely have to go, along with Firstfloor.

But, we can apply "Offensive" as a standard as well, that'll get rid of alot of posters, especially when the conservative mods get to decide what posts are offensive.
                      This is about me, isn't it?

Comment

Words can be weaponized, and can be more damaging than physical weapons.
                        While words can indeed be hurtful even little children realize that

sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.

I'd much rather that someone verbally assaults me than physically assaults me. I've never heard of someone ending up in the hospital much less dead from the former.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Counterspeech Doctrine

By David L. Hudson Jr. (updated December 2017)

Justice Louis D. Brandeis established the counterspeech doctrine in a landmark case in 1927, reasoning that "if there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence." This preferred solution continues to be relevant today with concerns over false information on the internet and on social media. The Supreme Court referenced this reasoning in 2012 when the Supreme Court struck down a law that prohibited false speech about military honors. (Photo, public domain)

The counterspeech doctrine posits that the proper response to negative speech is to counter it with positive expression. It derives from the theory that audiences, or recipients of the expression, can weigh for themselves the values of competing ideas and, hopefully, follow the better approach.
                          The counterspeech doctrine is one of the most important free expression principles in First Amendment jurisprudence.
                          Justice Brandeis: "More speech, not enforced silence"

Justice Louis D. Brandeis established it in his classic concurring opinion in Whitney v. California (1927), when he wrote:
                          “If there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence.”
                          https://mtsu.edu/first-amendment/art...peech-doctrine

Comment

Kathy Griffin is clearly a performer. Jones has a radio show and does not identify himself as a performer on that show.
                            If "[a] reasonable viewer would not actually think OAN is paid Russian propaganda, instead, he or she would follow the facts of the Daily Beast article; that OAN and Sputnik share a reporter and both pay this reporter to write articles. Anything beyond this is Maddow’s opinion or her exaggeration of the facts" following Rachel Maddow's statement referring to OAN as “the most obsequiously pro-Trump right-wing news outlet in America really literally (emphasis added) is paid Russian propaganda.” then the same reasonable individual would be able to determine Alex Jones is a loon and would reasonable view Jones a a caricature. A reasonable individual does not need disclaimers.

Quotes from this Washington Times article quoting the judge's determination.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment