Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Labels Used as Cuss Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the left despises the regressives more than most conservatives or independants.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      I think the left despises the regressives more than most conservatives or independants.
      Yeah. There is certainly a large segment of liberals who are hardcore PC, but there seems to be a vicious backlash against that sort of behavior within the left as well. Just as there is a backlash in conservative circles that all conservatives are uncharitable, and heartless bigots. But mostly, I think there are a lot of people (maybe even most people) who self-identify with one label or the other because they don't know what else to call themselves, and probably find themselves squarely in the middle on a scale of liberal to conservative. I know, myself personally, I lean very conservative on a number of social issues, and much more liberal on economic and State policies, and even then I probably lean left or right of center on a number of social and economic positions. I think people are growing tired of the traditional liberal/conservative demarcations, and certainly are tired of the two party system. Most people are far more complex than the media would have many of us believe. And it really is the media, and the Republican and Democrat parties that are responsible for forming these Us vs. Them lines in the sand. It's dishonest propaganda, and they've sold so many people on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        I've traveled too much and met too many people to knee-jerk stereotype that way. Comes with age, I guess...
        I am older than you are and age has brought me to believe that even liberal friends (and I do have a few) are believing ignorantly and thus a polemic use is appropriate. I admit I would not use it like that to their face, but I do see such use as valid.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Either way, that doesn't prove that all liberals are touchy cry-babies. There are plenty of stalwart and brave liberals, and plenty of fear mongering and cowardly conservatives, and vice versa.
          Not all but still a valid labeling.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            I think the ideologies are distinct enough though that it's justified to use those political terms in polemical ways.
            The liberal/conservative divide doesn't describe ideologies. 'Conservative' isn't an ideology. Neither is 'liberal'. There aren't universal ideologies among those that identify as one or the other, either.

There's not even central ideology on whether or not government should be involved. Almost everyone has things they think should be government responsibility. The differences are which things and on what level they should be handled.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              I've traveled too much and met too many people to knee-jerk stereotype that way. Comes with age, I guess...
              Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              I am older than you are and age has brought me to believe that even liberal friends (and I do have a few) are believing ignorantly and thus a polemic use is appropriate. I admit I would not use it like that to their face, but I do see such use as valid.
              I don't think it's an age thing but an exposure thing.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I hear a lot of people on this forum use the word "liberal" or "conservative" as though just the use of the word almost makes them sick. Don't you realize, though, that you're referring to a huge swath of people with a number of complex views, many of whom do not agree with one another? Obviously there are plenty of times when these words can be used to generalize a whole group of people. Liberals or conservatives may generally hold certain views or ideas, but what irks me is when I hear people say something like "liberals don't have a sense of humor". That's just a blatant mischaracterization. Nothing about one's political affiliation says anything about their penchant for humor. Some of the world's greatest comedians are liberals (in fact, probably most of our greatest comedians are liberals).

It seems to me that most people have set up in their minds caricatures of people when they think liberal or conservative. To a lot of people on this forum, a liberal is a puny little pansy, who runs around biting his nails hugging trees, and hyperventilating any time someone says something that could be misconstrued as offensive, and to a lot of people on this forum, a conservative is a hot-headed, flag-waving bigot, who blows up at the thought of helping those weaker than themselves. Neither of these caricatures are true. Nor are those who self-identify as either liberal or conservative on this forum representative of all or even most liberals and conservatives in the real world.

I don't know. I suppose my point is that maybe we need to sometimes stop and think before we use the word "liberal" or "conservative" like it's a swear word. We're all just people.
                Why you no-good son-of-a-liberal. smiley fist shake.gif

IIRC, Reagan referred to it as he "L" word.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think labels like "liberal" and "conservative" are beginning to be meaningless. The traditional political is all mixed up now.
                    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                      I think labels like "liberal" and "conservative" are beginning to be meaningless. The traditional political is all mixed up now.
                      Yeah, I disciplined myself to try not using Democrat and Republican, because there still were some liberal Republicans and Conservative Democrats, so "liberals and conservatives" seemed more applicable, but... yeah, you can be fiscally liberal or conservative and socially...

yeah
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                        I see it like this.
                        You always see the worst of politics on media. It takes effort to actually learn why people hold the views they do. Most people dont want to work that hard. Sad really.
                        Maybe I don't spend enough time on regular media, but sometimes I feel like I see the worst of politics on Christian forums. I think I may judge people there more harshly, but that's because I would think I would have the most in common with them, but I don't want any thing to do with how people are so disgusted with others who don't even do some of the things they are accused of or given a chance before being judged. I don't want to be like those people, even if they are "Christian". That makes me sad and I hope that in person non believers are not treated that way on a person to person basis. I anticipate being considered snowflakes or some kind of whiny brat now. I don't know if I am supposed to even apologize for my generation or for being part of it.
                        Last edited by Ana Dragule; 11-25-2016, 03:29 AM.
                        I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
                          Maybe I don't spend enough time on regular media, but sometimes I feel like I see the worst of politics on Christian forums. I think I may judge people there more harshly, but that's because I would think I would have the most in common with them, but I don't want any thing to do with how people are so disgusted with others who don't even do some of the things they are accused of or given a chance before being judged. I don't want to be like those people, even if they are "Christian". That makes me sad and I hope that in person non believers are not treated that way on a person to person basis. I anticipate being considered snowflakes or some kind of whiny brat now. I don't know if I am supposed to even apologize for my generation or for being part of it.
                          I don't know why either, but that tracks with my own experiences. There are a number of explanations. Maybe the usual anonymity combined with truly believing that one has the answers to the most important questions in existence has a contributing effect. There is the tribalism, too. And, maybe, as reddit is discovering, that you can't really have a 100% free speech without it devolving into this. But these small enclaves are often created by people who did not like how other people were overbearing so they over react and have no rules and you get what you have seen.

Personally, I've suggested we adopt some stuff like here but I was told this was draconian

Oh, and don't apologize for your generation, just advocate to them :)

Comment