Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fairfax VA places restrictions on flying the US flag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kccd View Post

What I really object to are American flags desecrated by imposing images of particular political figures, or adding written slogans or flying the flags upside down or flying tattered flags. This is all disrespectful. As is converting flags into articles of clothing.

Also flags of any kind should not obscure roads or signs.
    The anti-establishment hippies of the 60s have become the establishment of today. And vice versa. What a weird and twisty world we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

What I really object to are American flags desecrated by imposing images of particular political figures, or adding written slogans or flying the flags upside down or flying tattered flags. This is all disrespectful. As is converting flags into articles of clothing.

Also flags of any kind should not obscure roads or signs.
      Yeah. Doing all that is already against the flag code. Although nobody enforces the clothing part.

4 U.S. Code § 8. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b)The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c)The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d)The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e)The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f)The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g)The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h)The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i)The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j)No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k)The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

(Added Pub. L. 105–225, § 2(a), Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1497.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

The anti-establishment hippies of the 60s have become the establishment of today. And vice versa. What a weird and twisty world we live in.
        The 20 year-olds of the 50 to 60 years ago are mostly retired

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah. Doing all that is already against the flag code. Although nobody enforces the clothing part.
          About the last time was back around the time of the trial of the Chicago 7 (or 8), when Abbie Hoffman wore an American flag patch on the seat of his jeans. He claims that later that week on a Bob Hope Special Raquel Welch walked on stage in an American flag bikini but nobody objected if she sat down on it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

The reasoning matters; the rationale given for the resolution is to restrict certain types of speech. That's where the courts will have a problem.
            If the city banned all flags on private property, or even some particular flags, there would be a problem. If they restricted the size of just some flags, there would also be a problem.

I don't think it's the same thing if they restrict the size of all flags.

(Please note, I'm not saying I'm in favor of the ordinance. Just that I don't think it's unconstitutional.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Resident Bill Denk told the commissioners that to honor his military-vet father, he once flew the flag that adorned his casket.
              Options:
              - Bill Denk is super-prepared for his own funeral
              - Bill Denk is a reanimated corpse
              - Dailywire journalists write poorly

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.
              MM on climate change: Looking at the historical temperature data in my region over the past ten years shows that temperatures have been stable ...

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Comment