Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fairfax VA places restrictions on flying the US flag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairfax VA places restrictions on flying the US flag.

Citing Fear That Someone Might Fly A ‘QAnon Flag,’ County Proposes Rules That Restrict American Flags

A Virginia county planning commission will vote Wednesday on restrictions that would ban residents from flying American flags larger than six feet by four feet, and from displaying more than two flags.

The Planning Commission of Fairfax County, a 1.1 million-person jurisdiction just outside Washington, D.C., is weighing a plan by staff to limit the size of flags that homeowners may fly to 24 square feet, lower the maximum height of flagpoles to 25 feet, and limit the number of flags to two.

Zoning administrator Leslie Johnson said February 10 that her agency came up with the plan because the county believes that it may not treat the American flag differently from banners displaying political opinions, and rules that allowed large American flags would also allow flags that could be objectionable. “Somebody may want to fly the Confederate flag, the American flag, the QAnon flag,” she said.

Resident Adrienne Whyte told commissioners in a public comment session, “It seems like a solution in search of a problem,” particularly during a pandemic.

Johnson acknowledged that though flags have largely been exempt from zoning regulations, it had seldom been an issue in the past. “I would note we don’t get a lot of complaints on this, we’ve had a few… we’d be remiss if we didn’t at least look at this and put some kind of regulation,” she added.

Resident Bill Denk told the commissioners that to honor his military-vet father, he once flew the flag that adorned his casket. Those flags are five-by-ten and, like the more common five-by-eight flags, would no longer be allowed.

“I do not think any of us would like to envision Fairfax County code compliance officers ripping the American flag from flag poles of individual homeowners because the flag was more than 24 square feet? Or do you?” he asked.

Planning board member Walter Clarke asked, “Since we live in the United States, shouldn’t the United States flag be an exception?”

“If someone’s national origin is from Australia and they want to fly an Australian or Canadian flag, I don’t know if we can say pick which two flags you want to fly,” Johnson said. “Historically people look at that as an American flag, corporate [city] flag and state flag, but with all of the changes that have occurred… we felt like we had to make those changes.”

Commissioner Phillip Niedzielski-Eichner said, “I hope to goodness we find a way to exempt our American flag from any suggestion that it’s comparable to any other flag. I understand the content [neutrality] issue, but particularly in these times where as a country, it’s important that our symbols matter, I hope we don’t make an equivalency between our American flag and all other flags.”

If the planning commission approves the restrictions, they will go to the county board of supervisors for county approval.
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/citin...american-flags

This is idiotic. If someone wants to fly some other flag, who cares? It's a free country. If they fly a Nazi flag for instance, then let them. They will be pointing out to everyone who they are and will face public condemnation as they should. But to even include the US Flag in such restrictions is idiotic to the extreme.

Our Non-Existent HOA (the developer thinks he runs one) put a restriction on US flags, so all of us put up US flags.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Our Non-Existent HOA (the developer thinks he runs one) put a restriction on US flags, so all of us put up US flags.
      The guy who does the Profit show (Marcus Lemonis) said that the local government tried to restrict the size of US Flags where his Camping World dealership is. He refused and they eventually "rezoned" him to allow the flag.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...-giant-us-flag

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Citing Fear That Someone Might Fly A ‘QAnon Flag,’ County Proposes Rules That Restrict American Flags

A Virginia county planning commission will vote Wednesday on restrictions that would ban residents from flying American flags larger than six feet by four feet, and from displaying more than two flags.

The Planning Commission of Fairfax County, a 1.1 million-person jurisdiction just outside Washington, D.C., is weighing a plan by staff to limit the size of flags that homeowners may fly to 24 square feet, lower the maximum height of flagpoles to 25 feet, and limit the number of flags to two.

Zoning administrator Leslie Johnson said February 10 that her agency came up with the plan because the county believes that it may not treat the American flag differently from banners displaying political opinions, and rules that allowed large American flags would also allow flags that could be objectionable. “Somebody may want to fly the Confederate flag, the American flag, the QAnon flag,” she said.

Resident Adrienne Whyte told commissioners in a public comment session, “It seems like a solution in search of a problem,” particularly during a pandemic.

Johnson acknowledged that though flags have largely been exempt from zoning regulations, it had seldom been an issue in the past. “I would note we don’t get a lot of complaints on this, we’ve had a few… we’d be remiss if we didn’t at least look at this and put some kind of regulation,” she added.

Resident Bill Denk told the commissioners that to honor his military-vet father, he once flew the flag that adorned his casket. Those flags are five-by-ten and, like the more common five-by-eight flags, would no longer be allowed.

“I do not think any of us would like to envision Fairfax County code compliance officers ripping the American flag from flag poles of individual homeowners because the flag was more than 24 square feet? Or do you?” he asked.

Planning board member Walter Clarke asked, “Since we live in the United States, shouldn’t the United States flag be an exception?”

“If someone’s national origin is from Australia and they want to fly an Australian or Canadian flag, I don’t know if we can say pick which two flags you want to fly,” Johnson said. “Historically people look at that as an American flag, corporate [city] flag and state flag, but with all of the changes that have occurred… we felt like we had to make those changes.”

Commissioner Phillip Niedzielski-Eichner said, “I hope to goodness we find a way to exempt our American flag from any suggestion that it’s comparable to any other flag. I understand the content [neutrality] issue, but particularly in these times where as a country, it’s important that our symbols matter, I hope we don’t make an equivalency between our American flag and all other flags.”

If the planning commission approves the restrictions, they will go to the county board of supervisors for county approval.

This is idiotic. If someone wants to fly some other flag, who cares? It's a free country. If they fly a Nazi flag for instance, then let them. They will be pointing out to everyone who they are and will face public condemnation as they should. But to even include the US Flag in such restrictions is idiotic to the extreme.
        Something tells me that this decision won't fly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This seems blatantly unconstitutional.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            And...

We have had presidents sign Executive Orders doing something they had only a short time before said was unconstitutional. We have a governor in New York who recently signed into law a bill that he openly acknowledged was unconstitutional.

It's what all the cool kids are doing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's odd that the QAnon flag is the concern. I doubt most people would even recognize it. There's really only two controversial flags that would actually be widely recognized. (Sorry, Sparko, not counting the skull and crossbones.)

There was an incident near me a few weeks ago where a landlord put up a Nazi flag outside a house he owned but didn't live in. It made the national news, and was vandalized/removed within hours. That one usually takes care of itself.
              Last edited by KingsGambit; 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's NoVa again...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It's odd that the QAnon flag is the concern. I doubt most people would even recognize it. There's really only two controversial flags that would actually be widely recognized. (Sorry, Sparko, not counting the skull and crossbones.)

There was an incident near me a few weeks ago where a landlord put up a Nazi flag outside a house he owned but didn't live in. It made the national news, and was vandalized/removed within hours. That one usually takes care of itself.
                  That's my thought. I think people should have the right to be as stupid as they want. It usually works itself out. I have no idea what a Q-Anon flag would look like, but so what if someone wants to fly one? And who cares how big it is? If it interferes with someone else's property, that would be something that current laws can address. Or the city could just address problems as they crop up instead of trying to make laws in anticipation of a problem that has never happened yet and may never happen. Or even just make a law regarding the size of other flags with the US flag as an exception. It's not that hard. They act like they have to include the US Flag in any restrictions they write. Why? Did their pen run out of ink?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    It's NoVa again...
                    Virginia's come a long way since the Second Virginia Convention.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

What I really object to are American flags desecrated by imposing images of particular political figures, or adding written slogans or flying the flags upside down or flying tattered flags. This is all disrespectful. As is converting flags into articles of clothing.

Also flags of any kind should not obscure roads or signs.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Virginia's come a long way since the Second Virginia Convention.
                        And it sure isn't in a positive direction the last 15 years or so...
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't see how limiting the size of flags is any more unconstitutional than limiting the size of billboards.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I don't see how limiting the size of flags is any more unconstitutional than limiting the size of billboards.
                            Well, billboards are a public thing - commerce - commerce is regulated. What you do on your own private property is different.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

The reasoning matters; the rationale given for the resolution is to restrict certain types of speech. That's where the courts will have a problem.

Comment