Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Have any of you gotten a vaccine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

That is a great and wonderful concern Roy. However, the trials for these shots did not study whether these shots would stop the spread of any virus. The shots were only tested for reduction of the covid symptoms.
    That is completely wrong. It shows you have absolutely no idea how any of this works. The vaccine causes your body to produce antibodies, which are what your body uses to fight off disease. Exactly like every other vaccine does. Your body's own immune system takes over from there. Vaccines are just a "kickstart" to teach your body how to fight off the disease. Which means, YES it does stop the spread of the virus because your body will fight the covid virus off. What they said is that in the small chance that you DO catch the virus (because your immune system is not up to snuff) the symptoms will most likely be much milder since your body will start to fight it off faster than if you were hit completely unprepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

That is completely wrong. It shows you have absolutely no idea how any of this works. The vaccine causes your body to produce antibodies, which are what your body uses to fight off disease. Exactly like every other vaccine does. Your body's own immune system takes over from there. Vaccines are just a "kickstart" to teach your body how to fight off the disease. Which means, YES it does stop the spread of the virus because your body will fight the covid virus off. What they said is that in the small chance that you DO catch the virus (because your immune system is not up to snuff) the symptoms will most likely be much milder since your body will start to fight it off faster than if you were hit completely unprepared.

Continued...Mike what you might be reading is that the vaccine won't prevent infection (which is just the virus entering your body). Nothing can stop that. The virus has to enter your body before your immune system can attack it. So you CAN be infected but the vaccine will prevent the DISEASE, the sickness, because your body will fight off the virus before it can make you sick. If your immune system is weaker, it might make you a bit sick before it can be fought off but it will prevent the deathly sickness people have been getting in most cases.

Comment

You are not offering anything to explain why the Pfizer and others say that this is not tested against the spread of the virus. Or are you just talking about the spread of the virus within a person's body?
        I guess you are aware that the covid shots, being based on a new RNA technology, are not acting like technology used in older vaccines. In this experimental technology, the RNA is not the active virus nor an inactivated virus. The new technology is designed to inform the body how to build antibodies instead of triggering an immune response against something recognized as a foreign body. You are likely aware that the new technology may affect the Syncytin-1 in the placenta in pregnant women -- creating the concern that there would be miscarriages and infertility, the former which has been observed already.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

You are not offering anything to explain why the Pfizer and others say that this is not tested against the spread of the virus. Or are you just talking about the spread of the virus within a person's body?
          I guess you are aware that the covid shots, being based on a new RNA technology, are not acting like technology used in older vaccines. In this experimental technology, the RNA is not the active virus nor an inactivated virus. The new technology is designed to inform the body how to build antibodies instead of triggering an immune response against something recognized as a foreign body. You are likely aware that the new technology may affect the Syncytin-1 in the placenta in pregnant women -- creating the concern that there would be miscarriages and infertility, the former which has been observed already.
          Again, the virus can still enter your body. but then your antibodies will fight them off before they can make you sick. They said they don't know if someone who is vaccinated could still spread the virus or not. Meaning that once you are infected, you might still be able to give it to someone else before your body has a chance to fight it off and kill all the virus in your body.

Yes I know how it works. Your cells are tricked into making the spike protein, which then floats around and activates your white blood cells to make antibodies. Then the antibodies will attack any virus that enters your body. After a day or so, the RNA runs out and your cells stop making the protein. It doesn't change your DNA nor does it keep making the spike protein. Once an RNA strand is "read" it is destroyed.
          Regular vaccines work in a similar way, except they use weakened or dead virus bits to trick your body into doing the same thing, make antibodies.

Once you have the antibodies, they are functionally the same thing as far as fighting disease goes. Just like the flu shot will mostly stop you from getting the flu but in some cases you can still catch a mild version of it, the same is true with the COVID Vaccine, except with the flu, there are so many variations and mutations floating around there is a good chance that the vaccine might not even work if you are exposed to a different strain. So far with the COVID vaccine they are expecting it to work on all of the various strains so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, I'm glad we already had Covid, sailed through it, and there's no rush to decide about the vaccine.
            My biggest concern is if the government gets it in its head create a "vaccine ID" of sorts indicating what vaccinations you've received, and if businesses and government buildings start requiring it for entry.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

My biggest concern is if the government gets it in its head create a "vaccine ID" of sorts indicating what vaccinations you've received, and if businesses and government buildings start requiring it for entry.
              Good for them. Proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test (or something along those lines).

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

Good for them. Proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test (or something along those lines).
                Not all of us are comfortable with the idea of a totalitarian government that can compel you to receive injections.

Comment

Indeed. Such requirement would be an unlawful restriction on travel by our government. Our travel would depend on an inaccurate test for the coronavirus -- which becomes more inaccurate when there is no one "infected." The government never gets rid of a new program. They would just add a new inspection line at the airports headed by the new US Transportation Vaccine and Quarantine division.

Comment

When you get the vaccine you get a receipt showing you got it. In case.

Show me your papers!

Comment

Not all of us are comfortable with the idea of a totalitarian government that can compel you to receive injections.
                      As I said: 'or a negative Covid test'

There's no valid reason not to take the jab (aside from the usual valid medical ones for people who can't take jabs for X reason), so if you don't want to take the jab then fine, you just need a recent all clear test.

Comment

There's no valid reason not to take the jab (aside from the usual valid medical ones for people who can't take jabs for X reason), so if you don't want to take the jab then fine, you just need a recent all clear test.
                        In the near future we vaccinated humans will refer to those who refused the shot as "the old humans" Homo Unvaccinatus. Unevolved troglodytes who are lacking our genetic superiority and extra limbs. We will laugh at them groveling in the mud as we fly overhead in our sky cities built with our new superpowers.

Comment

That's where it would start, but that's not where it would end. Government programs always get bigger and more intrusive, never the opposite.

Comment

That's where it would start, but that's not where it would end. Government programs always get bigger and more intrusive, never the opposite.
                            Don't worry so much about having to have papers. They will just be able to read the microchip in the vaccine and know if you are allowed to buy or sell anything.

Comment

In the near future we vaccinated humans will refer to those who refused the shot as "the old humans" Homo Unvaccinatus. Unevolved troglodytes who are lacking our genetic superiority and extra limbs. We will laugh at them groveling in the mud as we fly overhead in our sky cities built with our new superpowers.
                              Reminds me of the classic Star Trek episode "The Cloud Minders", where a society was split between people doing all the hard work on the ground, and the "enlightened" people in the floating cities reaping all the benefits of that labor and living in leisure. Which worked out pretty well until the people on the ground said, "You know what? This kinda sucks. Let's revolt!"

Comment

Don't worry so much about having to have papers. They will just be able to read the microchip in the vaccine and know if you are allowed to buy or sell anything.
                                Don't laugh. Bill Gates has actually proposed something very similar, only instead of a microchip, it would be a tattoo invisible to the naked eye that could be detected using software on a smartphone.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...en-vaccinated/

Comment