Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Have any of you gotten a vaccine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My best friend's niece got vaccinated.

Upon learning of this, another lady at her church told her, "You're going to hell!" and apparently was not at all joking.

This is the sort of thing that could motivate me to get vaccinated, and to start attending that church.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• It's going to be a sad day for everyone that got vaccinated only to have the covid rates go up again. All that for nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The HR director at my workplace sent out an email stating that if we do not feel well after a vaccination, we are to call in.

I did call in after my first shot due to migraines preventing me from sleeping. The other day, I was informed that my call-in had been registered as an "attendance event", and if I call in after my second shot, it will be a second event which begins to escalate the process toward disciplinary action. That seems rotten given the seemingly clear directive from HR. (I attempted to pre-emptively take a sick day for my second shot next week but was denied due to insufficient staffing levels, not a surprise because everybody under the sun tries to take Saturdays off.)
        While I had a really strong reaction to both doses, I was spared the headaches and fever I keep hearing about. I'm so sorry your HR department has proven to be non-supportive.

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        My best friend's niece got vaccinated.

Upon learning of this, another lady at her church told her, "You're going to hell!" and apparently was not at all joking.

This is the sort of thing that could motivate me to get vaccinated, and to start attending that church.
        My condolences to your niece. I'm horrified. Is this at all common?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          IIRC Fauci has also downplayed the concerns over a fourth wave.

At least this week.
          As I said...

Source: Fauci says new Covid-19 cases are at a disturbing level as the US is primed for a surge

he number of new Covid-19 cases has plateaued at a "disturbingly high level," and the US is at risk from a new surge, Dr. Anthony Fauci warned on Wednesday.

Although off the highs of earlier this year, there were still more than 61,000 new cases reported on Wednesday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. And the lack of continued significant decreases in infections is a concern, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases told CNN's Anderson Cooper, particularly given the spread of variants.

"It's almost a race between getting people vaccinated and this surge that seems to want to increase," Fauci said, noting Europe is experiencing a spike much like the one experts worry about for the US.

The US is vaccinating people quickly, with just over 33% of the population -- more than 109 million people -- having received at least one dose of the vaccine and all 50 states committed to opening vaccinations to all adults by April 19.

Those vaccines may be behind the decrease in Covid-19 fatalities, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Wednesday.But the pace of getting vaccines into the arms of Americans will need to keep increasing now that the virus variant first identified in the United Kingdom, known to be more transmissible and believed to be more deadly, is the most common strain in the US, Walensky said.

To fight the variant, Fauci urged Americans to get vaccinated and stick to preventative measures."Hang in there a bit longer," he said. "Now is not the time, as I've said so many times, to declare victory prematurely."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Predicting that Fauci will do a 180 is kind of like predicting that water is et.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
            It's going to be a sad day for everyone that got vaccinated only to have the covid rates go up again. All that for nothing.
            Or when we finally learn what long-term side effects are.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Or when we finally learn what long-term side effects are.
              "Speculative fearmongering".
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Predicting that Fauci will do a 180 is kind of like predicting that water is et.
                You drink water. You et food.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  The HR director at my workplace sent out an email stating that if we do not feel well after a vaccination, we are to call in.

I did call in after my first shot due to migraines preventing me from sleeping. The other day, I was informed that my call-in had been registered as an "attendance event", and if I call in after my second shot, it will be a second event which begins to escalate the process toward disciplinary action. That seems rotten given the seemingly clear directive from HR. (I attempted to pre-emptively take a sick day for my second shot next week but was denied due to insufficient staffing levels, not a surprise because everybody under the sun tries to take Saturdays off.)
                  That really stinks. Is it two different authority channels ( HR vs immediate management?) If so, talking directly to HR might help. They could hold your immediate management in line with the official policy they have communicated, though that sort of thing gets tricky.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                    "Speculative fearmongering".
                    Not at all. The China flu vaccines have not been around nearly long enough for it to be determined what, if any, long-term side effects might be associated with them. That's just a fact. There's a reason medications are typically subjected to years of study and testing before they are approved for general use.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

While I had a really strong reaction to both doses, I was spared the headaches and fever I keep hearing about. I'm so sorry your HR department has proven to be non-supportive.

My condolences to your niece. I'm horrified. Is this at all common?
                      My best friend's niece.

First time I've ever heard anything remotely like this. I don't know if that lady from her church is some End-Timey, Mark of the Beast wackadoodle or what.

If someone said something like that to me, I'd take off my mask and laugh so hard, alarms would go off.
                      Last edited by NorrinRadd; 04-08-2021, 07:46 AM.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

As I said...

Source: Fauci says new Covid-19 cases are at a disturbing level as the US is primed for a surge

he number of new Covid-19 cases has plateaued at a "disturbingly high level," and the US is at risk from a new surge, Dr. Anthony Fauci warned on Wednesday.

Although off the highs of earlier this year, there were still more than 61,000 new cases reported on Wednesday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. And the lack of continued significant decreases in infections is a concern, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases told CNN's Anderson Cooper, particularly given the spread of variants.

"It's almost a race between getting people vaccinated and this surge that seems to want to increase," Fauci said, noting Europe is experiencing a spike much like the one experts worry about for the US.

The US is vaccinating people quickly, with just over 33% of the population -- more than 109 million people -- having received at least one dose of the vaccine and all 50 states committed to opening vaccinations to all adults by April 19.

Those vaccines may be behind the decrease in Covid-19 fatalities, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Wednesday.But the pace of getting vaccines into the arms of Americans will need to keep increasing now that the virus variant first identified in the United Kingdom, known to be more transmissible and believed to be more deadly, is the most common strain in the US, Walensky said.

To fight the variant, Fauci urged Americans to get vaccinated and stick to preventative measures."Hang in there a bit longer," he said. "Now is not the time, as I've said so many times, to declare victory prematurely."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

My guess is the surge will be hampered by vaccines - provided people will get them, which means not listening to the voices that are claiming people should not get them.

Side effects are definitely in the news, and the AZ problems are not helping. It is odd though how hard it is to keep a balanced perspective. The virus kills about 220,000 for every 22 million infected*. The AZ vaccine - the one that seems to have the most trouble right now - has had 86 cases of possible thrombosis and 18 possible deaths over the same number of people. And we just don't even know for sure it caused them.

That is 18 vs 220,000 - but a large number of people influenced by all the various misinformation sources are more worried about the vaccine than the virus.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/07/...o-blood-clots/

Eta:* that is a CFR of around 2% reduced by a generous estimate of 50% of those actually infected being sufficiently asymptomatic as to not be tested.
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-08-2021, 07:53 AM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Not at all. The [covid 19] vaccines have not been around nearly long enough for it to be determined what, if any, long-term side effects might be associated with them. That's just a fact. There's a reason medications are typically subjected to years of study and testing before they are approved for general use.
                          That would be why they had to be given emergency use authorization. However, we are finding that long term 30% of those infected by the virus suffer some sort of psychological or cognitive impairment, and that in some cases when those suffering from that long term effect of the virus get vaccinated they get relief as well. We also know that the virus is 10,000 times more likely to kill a person than the most troubled vaccine (AZ).

Again, this is a situation where one needs to do an objective risk assessment. The negatives of the vaccine are far and away overshadowed by the negatives of the virus. So there is no rational reason to fear the vaccines more than the virus itself.

And there are many positive reasons to be vaccinated, one of tge most enticing is a potential return to something close to normal life as we once knew it. As long as large numbers of people choose not to be vaccinated, there will still be large amounts of the virus in circulation in the population with all the risks and limitations that creates.
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-08-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy
                            Oh, look, I'm being called ignorant by someone who thinks citing data is speculative and citing unknowns isn't.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

My best friend's niece.

First time I've ever heard anything remotely like this. I don't know if that lady from her church is some End-Timey, Mark of the Beast wackadoodle or what.

If someone said something like that to me, I'd take off my mask and laugh so hard, alarms would go off.
                              I've heard of some labling the vaccine "the mark of the beast". I dont know how prevalent that is - is your niece's church main stream or some sort of independent variety?

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I've heard of some labling the vaccine "the mark of the beast". I dont know how prevalent that is - is your niece's church main stream or some sort of independent variety?
                                My best friend's niece.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's independent Full Gospel with maybe some relatively mild Word-Faith leanings. If it's the one I remember from, like, 35 years ago, when I was attending a Word-Faith church, that church's then-pastor visited our church and actually took a few gentle swipes at some silly Word-Faith doctrines. (Specifically, the teaching that Job's fear allowed satan to attack him, based on the fact that he said, "What I greatly feared has come upon me." The pastor said it made just as much sense to blame his *positive* expectations, because he also said, "When I expected good, evil came.")

And yeah, I've heard *about* that. And I don't like the potential implications of the vaxxpass. It sounds like potentially the Mark of the Beast with the antichrist-worship removed -- which makes it NOT the Mark of the Beast.
                                Last edited by NorrinRadd; 04-08-2021, 08:43 AM.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment