Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Virginia school system cancels Dr. Seuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Everything's electronic nowadays anywho. We need to start a virtual book burning app where you type in the title of a book and you virtually toss a book with that title on it into a bonfire

9rdNjg.gif
    Sounds like a job for rogue tech labs.

Comment

It is impossible, in 2021, to look at some of the images in the Dr. Seuss books and not reach the conclusion that the images are racist.

For example, check out the following video, where the Dr. Seuss book "If I ran the Zoo" is being read. Check out the words and image at the 3m 13s mark in the video, as well as at the image at the 7m 50s mark. Would any reasonable person claim that these images aren't racist?

"My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Once again the liberals prove that if you look hard enough you can see racism anywhere, and that says more about them than who they are trying to cancel.
        Indeed. It's like a Rorschach test. For instance, if you look at that Cat in the Hat and see a black caricature, then you're probably a racist.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          An interesting point this guy made (I would link directly to the video but don't know if that's possible).

https://www.tiktok.com/foryou?_d=sec...80316741618949

Essentially what leftist cancel culture has done is completely removed all minorities from store products and left ONLY Caucasian faces. It's like white supremacist dream come true.
          That was actually a Babylon Bee headline some time ago:

Activists Fight Racism By Driving All People Of Color Out Of Pop Culture

That was around the time that liberals demanded that iconic characters like Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, and the chef from the Cream of Wheat packaging be removed on the pretense that they were racist despite the fact that they were straight portraits of real people. Liberalism has gotten so nutty that ti's impossible to satirize.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
            It is impossible, in 2021, to look at some of the images in the Dr. Seuss books and not reach the conclusion that the images are racist.

For example, check out the following video, where the Dr. Seuss book "If I ran the Zoo" is being read.
            At least Seuss isn't putting the people in zoos.

Check out the words and image at the 3m 13s mark in the video,
            Are these shoes racist?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_%28footwear%29

as well as at the image at the 7m 50s mark
            Are these Africans racist?

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/afric...ica/index.html

I'd archive that to find on the Wayback after it gets deleted

Would any reasonable person claim that these images aren't racist?
            Given the cultural ignorance required to consider the images racist, no. They're ancillary characters and have real world cultural references.Yes they are cartoon characterisations, but they're in a children's book, not some racist manifesto or political cartoon that seeks to convey a message.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              That was actually a Babylon Bee headline some time ago:

Activists Fight Racism By Driving All People Of Color Out Of Pop Culture

That was around the time that liberals demanded that iconic characters like Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, and the chef from the Cream of Wheat packaging be removed on the pretense that they were racist despite the fact that they were straight portraits of real people. Liberalism has gotten so nutty that ti's impossible to satirize.
              The Regressive Left is why I don't associate myself with Liberals. There's elements of Bizarro Morlaism, Bizarro Racism, and Bizarro White Man's Burden. It's also funny given it's these kind of people that would have loved early South Park.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                That was actually a Babylon Bee headline some time ago:...
                I'm beginning to think that BB isn't satire - it's prophesy!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm beginning to think that BB isn't satire - it's prophesy!
                  More like those on the left read the Bee and see the articles as direct challenges.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    More like those on the left read the Bee and see the articles as direct challenges.
                    Yeah, they read the article, then say "hey bubba - hold my beer and watch this!"
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Has anyone found out what people in the ethnic minorities think about the book? Any twebbers in this thread a "minority" in the USA? Would an African or Asian child be offended?
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, they read the article, then say "hey bubba - hold my beer and watch this!"
                        That was zactly the image I had in mind

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

For example, check out the following video, where the Dr. Seuss book "If I ran the Zoo" is being read. Check out the words and image at the 3m 13s mark in the video, as well as at the image at the 7m 50s mark. Would any reasonable person claim that these images aren't racist?

If the chinese characters are racist because of the way they were dressed in the cartoon then I guess that makes Toy Story racist for this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fclipground.com%2Fimages%2Ftoy-story-woody-png-7.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Has anyone found out what people in the ethnic minorities think about the book? Any twebbers in this thread a "minority" in the USA? Would an African or Asian child be offended?
                            This is the real question.
                            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

This is the real question.
                              It's like when the craze was getting rid of Native American names for baseball teams and such, and the American Indians thought that was dumb.
                              But now, even they are getting "woke".

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                Does that really matter any more? Look at the dispute over team mascots, for instance. Poll after poll has shown that Native Americans don't really care, and there is often a great deal of support for a team's name from any local indigenous people who often view it with pride. But a bunch of white "woke" folks have taken it upon themselves to be outraged for them and force changes.

Comment