Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Virginia school system cancels Dr. Seuss

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Virginia school system cancels Dr. Seuss

    Virginia school system cancels Dr. Seuss, citing racial 'undertones' in writings: report

    Celebrated American children’s author Dr. Seuss is now considered too controversial for one of Virginia's largest school districts, a new report reveals.

    For over two decades, Dr. Seuss’s birthday has been celebrated in schools as Read Across America Day — a day dedicated to the importance of reading and literacy. The day falls on Dr. Seuss’s birthday in honor of the impactful author, whose books have helped countless children learn to read across the globe.

    But folllowing pressure from activists, Loudon County Public Schools is reportedly dropping the annual Dr. Seuss celebration.

    "Realizing that many schools continue to celebrate ‘Read Across America Day’ in partial recognition of Dr. Seuss’ birthday, it is important for us to be cognizant of research that may challenge our practice in this regard," Loudoun County Schools said in an announcement reported by the Daily Wire.

    "As we become more culturally responsive and racially conscious, all building leaders should know that in recent years there has been research revealing radical undertones in the books written and the illustrations drawn by Dr. Seuss," the school district continued.

    Learning for Justice, a liberal education advocacy group, was reportedly behind the pressure campaign against the celebrated children's author. The organization pegs itself as a group that seeks "to uphold the mission" of the left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center, according to their website.

    Learning for Justice cited a study by St. Catherine University that claimed Dr. Seuss’s books are covered with "orientalism, anti-Blackness and White supremacy" in a magazine article they released.

    The group also claimed that the characters who were not White in the books were "subservient" to White characters.

    https://www.foxnews.com/us/loudoun-c...j9YaX2p1OlxyjA


  • #2
    Where will they stop?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

    Comment


    • #3
      Good grief, these people are mental...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

      Comment


      • #4
        Once again the liberals prove that if you look hard enough you can see racism anywhere, and that says more about them than who they are trying to cancel.

        It's like when they go back and look at cartoons and TV shows from 50+ years ago and enforce their own ideas of social justice on a past society. Or on historic figures like George Washington. Chrono-snobbery.

        But most of Dr. Suess's characters weren't even people!

        ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.phoenixpreschoolnj.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F12%2Fdrseuss.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Once again the liberals prove that if you look hard enough you can see racism anywhere, and that says more about them than who they are trying to cancel.

          It's like when they go back and look at cartoons and TV shows from 50+ years ago and enforce their own ideas of social justice on a past society. Or on historic figures like George Washington. Chrono-snobbery.

          But most of Dr. Suess's characters weren't even people!

          ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.phoenixpreschoolnj.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F12%2Fdrseuss.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
          And LOOK how many of them are 'people' of COLOR!!!
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • #6
            It's Loudon County. That's the bluest part of the state near DC. Not shocked they would do something this stupid.
            That's what
            - She

            Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

            I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            Stephen R. Donaldson

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              It's Loudon County. That's the bluest part of the state near DC. Not shocked they would do something this stupid.
              I have already heard this morning from people who used to live in Virginia that...
              a) they're ashamed of their state
              2) they are half tempted to move back there and straighten things out (except they love living in the Free Republic of Texas)
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                I have already heard this morning from people who used to live in Virginia that...
                a) they're ashamed of their state
                2) they are half tempted to move back there and straighten things out (except they love living in the Free Republic of Texas)
                The liberal populations of Northern Virginia and Newport News, largely populated by recent population additions, dominate the state political landscape now. I don't ever see a time where we will move back to a red state, unless the entire military complex gets dismantled...
                That's what
                - She

                Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                Stephen R. Donaldson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

                  The liberal populations of Northern Virginia and Newport News, largely populated by recent population additions, dominate the state political landscape now. I don't ever see a time where we will move back to a red state, unless the entire military complex gets dismantled...
                  Which, no doubt, explains the push to make DC a state, eh?
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                    Which, no doubt, explains the push to make DC a state, eh?
                    Yuh. DC is 90% Democrat.

                    https://www.bestplaces.net/voting/ci...bia/washington

                    District of Columbia County, DC is Very liberal. In District of Columbia County, DC 90.9% of the people voted Democrat in the last presidential election, 4.1% voted for the Republican Party, and the remaining 5.0% voted Independent.
                    That's what
                    - She

                    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    Stephen R. Donaldson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Where will they stop?
                      Oh the Places the Woke Will Go

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        From the Bee, pointing out just how much racism a single page of Dr. Seuss can contain

                        Source: Can You Find All 17 Instances Of Racism On This Page From A Dr. Seuss Book?


                        Racism is everywhere.

                        But nowhere is racism more blatant than in the books of well-known racist Dr. Seuss. His pages were literally dripping with racism, or maybe that was just the barbecue sauce for our chicken nuggies. Even so, barbecue sauce might be racist too, now that we think of it.

                        Take this Dr. Seuss page out of Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!. It looks harmless, yeah? Well, you're just showing your internalized racism, because there are literally 17 different examples of racism packed into this illustration. Come on a journey with us as we explore them all.

                        article-8115-art603d314544818.jpg



                        1. The giant orange beast is obviously a reference to Donald Trump. This glorifies white supremacy and Nazism, as Seuss was alluding to his allegiance to the bad orange man.


                        article-8115-art603d531b8896e.jpg



                        2. The pink boot squashing the poor little dude glorifies fascism. A little too obvious there, Fuhrer Seuss.

                        article-8115-art603d4ecaf2a93.jpg



                        3. The text implies it's OK to go to the Right. Like, COME ON! In a children's book?

                        article-8115-art603d4f66ea02d.jpg


                        4. Zoom in on the tuba. Keep zooming. Keeeeep zooming: IT'S A TINY HITLER, OH MY GOODNESS! Hard to believe Seuss snuck this one past the editors.

                        article-8115-art603d339741da8.jpg



                        5. The smoke coming from the machine glorifies the racist, classist hierarchies of capitalism that harm the environment and disproportionally people of color. And he made the smoke multiple colors -- just one more slap in the face to POCs.

                        article-8115-art603d4fc8dd87c.jpg



                        6. The page is rectangular, encouraging readers to think inside the box of capitalist propaganda and not become woke to the struggle of the classes. Straight lines and boundaries are signs of non-wokeness. Plus, the shape is eerily similar to the shape of a Nazi flag!

                        article-8115-art603d50bd8ad65.jpg


                        7. These four men have Hitler mustaches. Seuss was brainwashing kids to worship Hitler! How can we have these books at schools?

                        article-8115-art603d37fc17c01.jpg


                        8. What color is the page? You guessed it! WHITE! Gee, what a coincidence!





                        9. If you trace this blank space and kinda squint your eyes a little, it looks like a swastika. Other parts of the page look like ancient Norse runes that are definitely associated with Nazism.

                        article-8115-art603d315902f02.jpg


                        10. There are 35 different creatures on the page. 35 X 2.514285714285714 = 88, a well-known dog-whistle for Nazism.



                        11. The little mouse dude is carrying a key to go lock up kids in cages. Sorry - migrant detention facilities.

                        article-8115-art603d501638641.jpg



                        12. The roller coaster forms an "H" for "Hitler." It could possibly also mean "Hey, racism is awesome!" Either way, it's garbage.

                        article-8115-art603d426169135.jpg


                        13. The unicycle has one wheel, representing the supremacy of a single race. Couldn't be more obvious.



                        14. The name of the book is Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!, which implies that thinking for yourself about race is good. First, kids will be reading Dr. Seuss books, the next thing you know, they'll be watching Jordan Peterson videos.



                        15. The white musician is playing his racist banjo while literally being pulled by slaves. We can't believe Dr. Seuss snuck in his love for the Antebellum South into this children's book. Wait -- actually, we can.

                        article-8115-art603d4413110fa.jpg



                        16. An alligator is pulling a tuba player and alligators come from Florida with Florida being the name of the mother from Good Times best known for a character who shouted "Dy-no-mite!" with dynamite being an invention of Alfred Nobel, making this an obvious commentary on how there needs to be a Nobel Prize for Music which I guess isn't super racist except that Sweden is full of white people. Sometimes pointing out racist imagery can feel like a stretch, but not this one. Seuss wasn't even trying to hide it here.

                        17. Perhaps worst of all, the creatures of different colors are getting along with each other and aren't segregated. Ideally, the creatures would all be mad at each other for being different colors. They're clearly not woke enough.



                        Well, there are probably dozens more, but we have to go scream at some Nazis. You know what you have to do, owners of Dr. Seuss books: go rip them out of your children's hands and burn them! Then come back here to the comment section and tell us more racist symbols you found on this page!



                        Source

                        © Copyright Original Source



                        I'm always still in trouble again

                        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Oh, it's gotten worse....

                          6 Dr. Seuss Books Pulled From Publication for 'Hurtful' Depictions (msn.com)
                          That's what
                          - She

                          Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                          I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          Stephen R. Donaldson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            From the Bee, pointing out just how much racism a single page of Dr. Seuss can contain

                            Source: Can You Find All 17 Instances Of Racism On This Page From A Dr. Seuss Book?


                            Racism is everywhere.

                            But nowhere is racism more blatant than in the books of well-known racist Dr. Seuss. His pages were literally dripping with racism, or maybe that was just the barbecue sauce for our chicken nuggies. Even so, barbecue sauce might be racist too, now that we think of it.

                            Take this Dr. Seuss page out of Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!. It looks harmless, yeah? Well, you're just showing your internalized racism, because there are literally 17 different examples of racism packed into this illustration. Come on a journey with us as we explore them all.

                            article-8115-art603d314544818.jpg



                            1. The giant orange beast is obviously a reference to Donald Trump. This glorifies white supremacy and Nazism, as Seuss was alluding to his allegiance to the bad orange man.


                            article-8115-art603d531b8896e.jpg



                            2. The pink boot squashing the poor little dude glorifies fascism. A little too obvious there, Fuhrer Seuss.

                            article-8115-art603d4ecaf2a93.jpg



                            3. The text implies it's OK to go to the Right. Like, COME ON! In a children's book?

                            article-8115-art603d4f66ea02d.jpg


                            4. Zoom in on the tuba. Keep zooming. Keeeeep zooming: IT'S A TINY HITLER, OH MY GOODNESS! Hard to believe Seuss snuck this one past the editors.

                            article-8115-art603d339741da8.jpg



                            5. The smoke coming from the machine glorifies the racist, classist hierarchies of capitalism that harm the environment and disproportionally people of color. And he made the smoke multiple colors -- just one more slap in the face to POCs.

                            article-8115-art603d4fc8dd87c.jpg



                            6. The page is rectangular, encouraging readers to think inside the box of capitalist propaganda and not become woke to the struggle of the classes. Straight lines and boundaries are signs of non-wokeness. Plus, the shape is eerily similar to the shape of a Nazi flag!

                            article-8115-art603d50bd8ad65.jpg


                            7. These four men have Hitler mustaches. Seuss was brainwashing kids to worship Hitler! How can we have these books at schools?

                            article-8115-art603d37fc17c01.jpg


                            8. What color is the page? You guessed it! WHITE! Gee, what a coincidence!





                            9. If you trace this blank space and kinda squint your eyes a little, it looks like a swastika. Other parts of the page look like ancient Norse runes that are definitely associated with Nazism.

                            article-8115-art603d315902f02.jpg


                            10. There are 35 different creatures on the page. 35 X 2.514285714285714 = 88, a well-known dog-whistle for Nazism.



                            11. The little mouse dude is carrying a key to go lock up kids in cages. Sorry - migrant detention facilities.

                            article-8115-art603d501638641.jpg



                            12. The roller coaster forms an "H" for "Hitler." It could possibly also mean "Hey, racism is awesome!" Either way, it's garbage.

                            article-8115-art603d426169135.jpg


                            13. The unicycle has one wheel, representing the supremacy of a single race. Couldn't be more obvious.



                            14. The name of the book is Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!, which implies that thinking for yourself about race is good. First, kids will be reading Dr. Seuss books, the next thing you know, they'll be watching Jordan Peterson videos.



                            15. The white musician is playing his racist banjo while literally being pulled by slaves. We can't believe Dr. Seuss snuck in his love for the Antebellum South into this children's book. Wait -- actually, we can.

                            article-8115-art603d4413110fa.jpg



                            16. An alligator is pulling a tuba player and alligators come from Florida with Florida being the name of the mother from Good Times best known for a character who shouted "Dy-no-mite!" with dynamite being an invention of Alfred Nobel, making this an obvious commentary on how there needs to be a Nobel Prize for Music which I guess isn't super racist except that Sweden is full of white people. Sometimes pointing out racist imagery can feel like a stretch, but not this one. Seuss wasn't even trying to hide it here.

                            17. Perhaps worst of all, the creatures of different colors are getting along with each other and aren't segregated. Ideally, the creatures would all be mad at each other for being different colors. They're clearly not woke enough.



                            Well, there are probably dozens more, but we have to go scream at some Nazis. You know what you have to do, owners of Dr. Seuss books: go rip them out of your children's hands and burn them! Then come back here to the comment section and tell us more racist symbols you found on this page!



                            Source

                            © Copyright Original Source

                            This is literally the kind of associations these people do in their "studies" to find racism under every rock. Once again the Bee hits a home run.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                              This is literally the kind of associations these people do in their "studies" to find racism under every rock. Once again the Bee hits a home run.
                              I just noticed that all those fish are chained together in a manner symbolically similar to how slaves were marched along

                              And did you notice all the elephants (the symbol of the fascist Republican Party) that are riding on the roller coaster whereas the other animals are forced to walk/run? This demonstrates how rich and elitist Republicans are.

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 06:51 AM
                              33 responses
                              172 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, Yesterday, 06:22 AM
                              85 responses
                              465 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, 04-19-2021, 05:51 PM
                              23 responses
                              133 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post One Bad Pig  
                              Started by Cow Poke, 04-19-2021, 05:32 PM
                              16 responses
                              138 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, 04-19-2021, 05:28 PM
                              20 responses
                              119 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post seanD
                              by seanD
                               
                              Working...
                              X