Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

rise in student suicides is just the tip of the pandemic iceberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Multiple reporters have described the current situation on the ground in Wuhan. I gave one example. Also the WHO has been there as well. All reports on conditions in Wuhan are consistent.

You can make all the assumptions you want, but photos of major roads and multiple shopping or business areas would be hard to fake.

The fact is that citizens in Asian countries are more than willing to follow rules and have for decades been in the habit of mask wearing when sick, for example, in contrast to Americans.
    We all know China hasn't been on the up and up about their data, hence no reason to trust their information. Your initial argument to counter that was that there were journalists on the ground there in China, and thus it would be difficult for China lie about this. When I questioned the reliability of that info with the fact journalists were NOT freely moving about in that country, it came down to just one reporter you're reliant on. That doesn't support your claim that China is being transparent, and thus we should trust them, sorry.

And of course their citizens follow the rules, otherwise they'd be forced into an intern camp or executed. Yeah, no kidding. I'm sure you salivate at the thought of that being imposed here.

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

So you had already answered your own question. Got it.
    I thought she may have had a different perspective as far as the data or information she herself looked at. I wasn't expecting some BS story about someone she knows in the Pentagon I have no way of verifying is true. Is it really that hard to get, or are just playing that typical game you play?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

We all know China hasn't been on the up and up about their data, hence no reason to trust their information. Your initial argument to counter that was that there were journalists on the ground there in China, and thus it would be difficult for China lie about this. When I questioned the reliability of that info with the fact journalists were NOT freely moving about in that country, it came down to just one reporter you're reliant on. That doesn't support your claim that China is being transparent, and thus we should trust them, sorry.

And of course their citizens follow the rules, otherwise they'd be forced into an intern camp or executed. Yeah, no kidding. I'm sure you salivate at the thought of that being imposed here.

I thought she may have had a different perspective as far as the data or information she herself looked at. I wasn't expecting some BS story about someone she knows in the Pentagon I have no way of verifying is true. Is it really that hard to get, or are just playing that typical game you play?
      Most people on this thread are sharing personal stories about getting or not getting the vaccine, and so that is what I did. And yes, where I live it is indeed difficult to get a vaccine. In fact, some high school students are volunteering to help seniors get appointments. I know one guy who got an appointment at a CVS that is a 2 hour drive from his house and he is thrilled.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...tment-chicago/

Your claim that Asians follow the rules to avoid being interned or executed is false. I have been to Asia many times, and have regularly seen mask wearers in Japan and Korea and in Hong Kong when it was still under the UK. This is just common practice for them.
      Last edited by kccd; 03-02-2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        You said: "What I find most striking is the difference between Florida and California with very similar covid rates, yet California imposed much harsher lockdowns, and Florida has a much more vulnerable population. What do you make of that?"

Her answer, in part, was: "Comparisons have to be weighted for relevant factors like compliance with lockdowns and mask mandates, population density, presence of the more dangerous covid variants, etc."

That's where the discussion stands right now. It's fine if you don't want to continue beyond that, but I think you got a pretty good answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

You said: "What I find most striking is the difference between Florida and California with very similar covid rates, yet California imposed much harsher lockdowns, and Florida has a much more vulnerable population. What do you make of that?"

Her answer, in part, was: "Comparisons have to be weighted for relevant factors like compliance with lockdowns and mask mandates, population density, presence of the more dangerous covid variants, etc."

That's where the discussion stands right now. It's fine if you don't want to continue beyond that, but I think you got a pretty good answer.
          That isn't an answer; she was just stating a generalization. I'm perfectly aware there are variables to consider between countries and states that are up for debate (like the leftists in here making the idiotic comparisons between the success of New Zealand and the US lol), but I honestly don't see any great nuance between California and Florida other than Florida having a more vulnerable population, and thus should have had a significantly higher fatality rate than Cali if lockdowns are so successful. The fact she gave me no such specifics but brought that Pentagon spiel to the table makes me think she too can't see any nuances between the two states to explain that.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Asian (and Middle Eastern) countries are also more than willing to have wet markets that increase the likelihood of zoonosis.
            Do not forget the risks attached to intensive [factory] farming that we see in the USA and other western countries.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Do not forget the risks attached to intensive [factory] farming that we see in the USA and other western countries.
              Campylobacter infection and Swine Flu are tame compared to COVID, and, if we include bush meat, HIV or Ebola.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Campylobacter infection and Swine Flu are tame compared to COVID, and, if we include bush meat, HIV or Ebola.
                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Oh some would contend there is very little risk attached to COVID.

However, intensive farming with its need to use anti-biotics increases the risks of anti-biotic resistant bacteria.

"It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment