Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

rise in student suicides is just the tip of the pandemic iceberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rise in student suicides is just the tip of the pandemic iceberg

Mental health: The rise in student suicides is just the tip of the pandemic iceberg

In late January, reports emerged of a surge in student suicides in Las Vegas, noting that Clark County reported 18 suicides over nine months of school closure — double the number of the entire previous year.

Many of my female friends share my concerns about the impact of COVID on their school-aged children for reasons ranging from:
    • Lack of physical contact with friends at school and elsewhere.
    • Growing inability for parents to balance work responsibilities with adequate oversight of younger children.
    • The challenge of remote learning, including its impact on high schoolers’ grades and SAT scores as they apply to college, with little ability to visit campuses.
    • College students (particularly first years) studying and trying to socialize from their bedrooms instead of enjoying normal on-campus activities and interactions.
    According to data from the World Health Organization, someone dies by suicide every 40 seconds — 800,000 per year — and for every suicide, 20 more were attempted. That means 5-7 people will commit suicide during the time it takes you to read this column.

One in five COVID-19 patients develops a mental-health problem. According to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study, the proportion of children’s mental health-related emergency department visits among all pediatric ED visits increased starting in April 2020 and remained elevated through October. Compared with 2019, that figure increased 24% for children aged 5-11 and 31% for children aged 12-17.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Yeah... it's awful. And I don't think anything can be done about it without actually opening up. When Las Vegas was debating whether to open up their schools for that reason, some said, "We don't need to open, we need more mental health resources." That sounds tone deaf. Throwing more money at suicide hotlines isn't going to help a 15 year old kid who doesn't know Jesus, doesn't think he has anything to live for, doesn't know the hotline exists, and probably wouldn't bother calling even if he did know.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It will probably be years before we find out just how many people died because of the lockdowns that were supposed to save them.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It will probably be years before we find out just how many people died because of the lockdowns that were supposed to save them.
        And we may never know just how many people were saved by the lockdowns themselves, or how many would have been saved if we hadn't tried to open up too early.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

And we may never know just how many people were saved by the lockdowns themselves, or how many would have been saved if we hadn't tried to open up too early.
          Apparently, it's not nearly as many as you have been led to believe:

No news ticker will display the number of lockdown-induced fatalities. In part, this is due to the pervasive bias of the mainstream media in supporting Democrats’ lockdown policies.

But it is also due to the nature of the message. Deaths from the Wuhan virus are a single number from a single cause, but deaths due to the lockdowns come from many different sources, such as:Attempts have been made to pull these diverse causalities into one model. A group of South African actuaries advised their government that a lockdown would cost 29 lives for every one life saved from the virus. A U.K. government study estimated more conservatively that the ratio would be four-to-one — with lockdowns causing 200,000 fatalities while saving only 50,000 people from death by COVID-19.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/21...han-the-virus/
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And they'll all be listed as covid deaths to add to the number.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

No news ticker will display the number of lockdown-induced fatalities. In part, this is due to the pervasive bias of the mainstream media in supporting Democrats’ lockdown policies.

But it is also due to the nature of the message. Deaths from the Wuhan virus are a single number from a single cause, but deaths due to the lockdowns come from many different sources, such as:Attempts have been made to pull these diverse causalities into one model. A group of South African actuaries advised their government that a lockdown would cost 29 lives for every one life saved from the virus. A U.K. government study estimated more conservatively that the ratio would be four-to-one — with lockdowns causing 200,000 fatalities while saving only 50,000 people from death by COVID-19.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/21...han-the-virus/
              He knows that. I have no idea why he keeps spewing out repeatedly cited leftist slogans like that, but I honestly don't think he really believes those slogans.

Comment

It's possible that not as many people were saved by the lockdowns as I believe. I look forward to seeing any scientific evidence to that effect.

In the meantime, maybe someone can try to explain the drop in cases that occurred after the lockdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's possible that not as many people were saved by the lockdowns as I believe. I look forward to seeing any scientific evidence to that effect.

In the meantime, maybe someone can try to explain the drop in cases that occurred after the lockdowns.
                  Wuhan, China basically eradicated the virus in large part by extreme lockdown procedures.

Also, in Kansas, counties were allowed to make separate decisions on requiring masks. About half had mandates and saw a drop in cases compared to counties that did not.

So these mitigation efforts do work.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Mental health: The rise in student suicides is just the tip of the pandemic iceberg

In late January, reports emerged of a surge in student suicides in Las Vegas, noting that Clark County reported 18 suicides over nine months of school closure — double the number of the entire previous year.

Many of my female friends share my concerns about the impact of COVID on their school-aged children for reasons ranging from:
                    • Lack of physical contact with friends at school and elsewhere.
                    • Growing inability for parents to balance work responsibilities with adequate oversight of younger children.
                    • The challenge of remote learning, including its impact on high schoolers’ grades and SAT scores as they apply to college, with little ability to visit campuses.
                    • College students (particularly first years) studying and trying to socialize from their bedrooms instead of enjoying normal on-campus activities and interactions.
                    According to data from the World Health Organization, someone dies by suicide every 40 seconds — 800,000 per year — and for every suicide, 20 more were attempted. That means 5-7 people will commit suicide during the time it takes you to read this column.

One in five COVID-19 patients develops a mental-health problem. According to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study, the proportion of children’s mental health-related emergency department visits among all pediatric ED visits increased starting in April 2020 and remained elevated through October. Compared with 2019, that figure increased 24% for children aged 5-11 and 31% for children aged 12-17.

This morning I heard that Montana State University is expanding gun carry rules on campus. Not a good idea, especially now, given that suicide rates are highest where gun control is weakest and Montana already has the 3rd highest suicide rate in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Wuhan, China basically eradicated the virus in large part by extreme lockdown procedures.

Also, in Kansas, counties were allowed to make separate decisions on requiring masks. About half had mandates and saw a drop in cases compared to counties that did not.

China "eliminated" the virus by not reporting it any longer.

Comment

Why does it not surprise me in the least that you believe anything coming out of China?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Lockdowns seem to work particularly well in places where the public will comply, either because of a very authoritarian government, or because the people trust their government.

Comment

Data about this is pretty much all over the map. There are US states and countries that didn't impose strict restrictions that did better than states and countries that did. There are probably examples that either you or I could use to support an argument either for or against lockdown. I've found that there is more nuance between countries that did impose harsh lockdowns and had success than the opposite view (I mean, you're comparing China -- come on lol). What I find most striking is the difference between Florida and California with very similar covid rates, yet California imposed much harsher lockdowns, and Florida has a much more vulnerable population. What do you make of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Why does it not surprise me in the least that you believe anything coming out of China?
                              I have Chinese relatives (by marriage) and Chinese colleagues, all with family members in China, so I hear from them what is going on in various parts of that country.

Furthermore, western journalists are there and are out and about, reporting that a year ago Wuhan was a ghost town because of their severe lockdown, but now the main thoroughfares and shopping areas are bustling.

Sure the Chinese govt is not trustworthy, but they would not be able to hide a raging epidemic without closing off the whole country from the rest of the world, which they have not done.

Comment