Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New Study Shows Hundreds of BLM 'Protests' Turned Violent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eider View Post

I liked the idea of your 'Daytime Demonstration' suggestion, but then I remembered candle-light demos from here in the UK.
    Don't they tend to be rather somber in tone, and are not so much demonstrating 'against' something as expressing support 'for' something or somebody?
    Such a demonstration would be extremely unlikely to turn violent.
    We used to have candle-light vigils on the eve of an execution at Huntsville's "Walls Unit" (the death chamber for convicts) --- those NEVER turned violent.

The 'No Violence' message will only work upon the genuine demonstrators.
    The "no violence" message will work when the organizers are serious about no violence, and commit to turning in those who try to steal their message.
    Unless, of course, their message includes looting and violence.

Although your cities will have quite good CCTV coverage now, the UK is said to have the most dense cctv coverage in the world and I believe that. I live in a small seaside town and if I should cycle through the back streets from one side to t'other I could later be followed through the entire journey without too many breaks. That and the mobile phone are now really cutting in to crimes in public (and private) places around here, and I have read of hundreds of arrests after the 06/01 incident where you are.
    So, on a side note - I keep seeing there are parts of UK that are "no go" for police - neighborhoods that are majority Muslim, for example, then I see other articles that say that's just not true. Comment?

Governments must take notice of genuine demonstrations and review their messages.......... and also 'nail' violence, criminal damage, burglary and theft wherever it occurs within these.
    Our government - particularly in areas where these riots are most out of control - are too "woke" to actually want to stem the violence. Instead, they express sympathy and understanding, and make excuses for the riot and mayhem, and our idiot 'journalists' will stand before a burning building with looters running around declaring the demonstration to be "mostly peaceful".

mostly peaceful.jpg
    Attached Files
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

IF BLM was actually not expecting and encouraging the riots, how bout having the protests in the daytime, and be more focal about NOT wanting violence.
      How bout they come out with a clear powerful "NO VIOLENCE" message?
      Kind of hard to do when you have stuff like this:

Source: BLM organizer who called looting 'reparations' dismisses peaceful protesting

The Chicago Black Lives Matter organizer who justified looting as "reparation" has doubled down -- insisting this week that even calling someone a criminal is "based on racism."

Ariel Atkins told WBEZ that her group "100 percent" supports the violent looters who trashed chunks of the Windy City on Monday, again repeating her claim that it is "reparations."

"The whole idea of criminality is based on racism anyway," she told the NPR station.

"Because criminality is punishing people for things that they have needed to do to survive or just the way that society has affected them with white supremacist BS," she said.

At least 13 cops were injured and 100 people arrested in violent clashes that led a mostly black community in the troubled South Side to kick out a BLM march the next day.

Atkins attacked Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot -- who is black -- for calling the looting "straight-up felony, criminal conduct."

"It’s like her deciding what is criminal and what isn’t," Atkins said, suggesting that calling the thieves criminals was itself a form of racism.

"I will support the looters 'til the end of the day. If that’s what they need to do in order to eat, then that’s what you’ve got to do to eat," she said of those who even tried to smash their way into a Ronald McDonald House caring for sick children and their families.

Atkins dismissed the idea that civil rights had "ever gotten wins" from "peaceful protests."

"Winning has come through revolts. Winning has come through riots," she said.

"The only people that can undermine our movement are the police, our oppressors, and then us when we don’t believe in the people that we’re fighting with," she told the station.

"If anyone is attacking this city, it’s them," she insisted of police.

"And anybody who is rising up and saying, 'We won't take this anymore, we’re going to do what we want' — those are the people that she should be trying to protect, and those are the people that she should be getting outraged for," she said.

Atkins had no sympathy for the businesses damaged in the spree, which included a small convenience store likely to go out of business after being looted twice in 40 days.

"The fact that anybody gives a s–t about these businesses over what is happening in this city right now and the pain that people are in and the suffering that is taking place, I don’t care," she admitted.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Roughly a month later another BLM organizer in Chicago, Amika Tendaji, declared that the group does not "condone" looting. In a statement to the Chicago Tribune Tenaji made it clear that BLM neither condones or supports looting -- but noticeably absent was a repudiation of such behavior. In fact she goes on to excuse it in certain cases.

However, Tendaji did share one sentiment with Atkins: Part of the reason for the looting is the economic hardship caused by COVID-19. "When protesters attack high-end retail stores that are owned by the wealthy and service the wealthy," reads a BLMChi news release, "that is not 'our' city and has never been meant for us."

So they don't denounce looting apparently because there are legitimate targets for looting.

Still wanna bet they get the Nobel Peace Prize?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Me too! And in the manner in which most of us go about it - you apply for a permit, you comply with the rules and guidelines provided, and you keep it peaceful.

Almost exclusively at night, and almost exclusively where they know such conduct will be tolerated, if not invited.

And if the organizers of the protest sincerely wanted no violence, they'd keep an eye on things and expose those who would damage their message. MUCH easier to do in broad daylight.
        For sure....... to all.

In the major cities in the US where these riots have broken out, the powers that be don't give a flying flip about identifying the troublemakers because they're afraid of offending BLM.
        Well then they're sad powers that be.
        Every proven crime should be arrested, charged, tried and convicted, and later on any film footage could be shown on National TV.
        That's what we do here.

The genuine public demonstrations are not the problem.
        Of course. Nearly all our sports stars and teams have supported the BLM movement which is Worldwide now. I support the basic message while feeling sad that it does not include nationality, all colour, all religions, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          The remark was made in a light-hearted spirit but also to draw attention to the fact that when the proverbial shoe is on the other foot, we see attitudes change accordingly. This shifting of attitude among some has been demonstrated on this board over the January 6th riots at the Capitol. Had those rioters been BLM supporters I suspect that many here would not have been so objective in their comments.
          This is the kind of nuttery for which you get blowback - it's not because you're a 'girlie' - it's because you're so dad-blamed ignorant and make such stupid arguments.

(that remark, of course, was made in a light-hearted spirit to draw attention to your stupid argument)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The remark was made in a light-hearted spirit but also to draw attention to the fact that when the proverbial shoe is on the other foot, we see attitudes change accordingly. This shifting of attitude among some has been demonstrated on this board over the January 6th riots at the Capitol. Had those rioters been BLM supporters I suspect that many here would not have been so objective in their comments.
            If it had been yet another antifa/BLM riot it would have been largely ignored, the whole "armed insurrection" bellowing would never had existed, and we'd just be waiting for the next one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For sure....... to all.

Well then they're sad powers that be.
              Every proven crime should be arrested, charged, tried and convicted, and later on any film footage could be shown on National TV.
              That's what we do here.
              And I agree - whether it's a BLM "mostly peaceful protest" or the violent entering of the US Capitol - the fullest prosecution under the law.

Of course. Nearly all our sports stars and teams have supported the BLM movement which is Worldwide now. I support the basic message while feeling sad that it does not include nationality, all colour, all religions, etc.
              BLM has hijacked the 'equality' message and has put Jesse Jackson's shake-down scam to a whole new level. If you don't support BLM, they will 'expose' you as racist, whether you are or not.
              Major companies are scrambling to get on board so they're not targeted by this extremist organization.

(Rouge's comments apply here)

Comment

This is the kind of nuttery for which you get blowback
                I realise some people react like Caliban seeing his reflection in the mirror.

- it's not because you're a 'girlie'
                Where have I used my sex as an excuse?

- it's because you're so dad-blamed ignorant and make such stupid arguments.
                Oh please read some serious history on your Revolution. It was not all Patriots good and all Brits/Loyalists bad.

"It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Don't they tend to be rather somber in tone, and are not so much demonstrating 'against' something as expressing support 'for' something or somebody?
                  Such a demonstration would be extremely unlikely to turn violent.
                  We used to have candle-light vigils on the eve of an execution at Huntsville's "Walls Unit" (the death chamber for convicts) --- those NEVER turned violent.
                  I expect candle vigils are mostly quiet, but, obviously, if night demos were ever banned ......... not good.

The "no violence" message will work when the organizers are serious about no violence, and commit to turning in those who try to steal their message.
                  Unless, of course, their message includes looting and violence.
                  Determined villains who want to loot, pillage, cause violence or damage a protest politically, they don't listen.
                  But good camera coverage of demos can nail most/any crimes.
                  But the authority has got to have the guts to do something.

So, on a side note - I keep seeing there are parts of UK that are "no go" for police - neighborhoods that are majority Muslim, for example, then I see other articles that say that's just not true. Comment?
                  There are large estates where police will not go into unless for very good reason, but these can be any colour situations. They won't patrol some very-rich gated estates, gypsy communities, large rented estates, etc unless necessary.
                  But the 'Sharia law thing' is rubbish.
                  In 2005 the UK redacted the 'arrestable offence' and all but one minor offence cannot now be arrested by 'any person'. Only 'Indictable' (serious) offences can be detained by any-person. This law became more firm in 2017 so any group that wants to hang around streets confronting misdemeanors is going to come very unstuck.

Our government - particularly in areas where these riots are most out of control - are too "woke" to actually want to stem the violence. Instead, they express sympathy and understanding, and make excuses for the riot and mayhem, and our idiot 'journalists' will stand before a burning building with looters running around declaring the demonstration to be "mostly peaceful".
                  Journalists..... Some new ones want to make their names, old ones want to re-affirm their names, some want to earn big money in the 'open journalism' market, some politically motivated. etc..... Same goes for scientists today that are angry, or new, or unknown, or politically motivated.
                  So we have to take care what we read and watch, I guess. This hasn't changed.
                  When I was young I could read about the same incident in the papers, and the Mirror and Mail would report exactly opposite viewpoints to each other. But if you bought the Times you probably got a balanced report.... etc.

Comment

I expect candle vigils are mostly quiet, but, obviously, if night demos were ever banned ......... not good.
                    Oh, I would NEVER push to ban night demonstrations. Just saying "what's your objective"?
                    IF your objective is PEACE, a candle-light somber demonstration is wonderful - but it's not done in a downtown area where the participants show up 'ready to rumble'.

BLM will never stop their night-time demonstrations, because they fully expect that the looting and rioting will happen. They pretty much invite it.

Determined villains who want to loot, pillage, cause violence or damage a protest politically, they don't listen.
                    But good camera coverage of demos can nail most/any crimes.
                    But the authority has got to have the guts to do something.
                    Sadly, the MSM has bought into the BLM scam, and supports them to the point they'll do everything possible to excuse, explain, ignore...

There are large estates where police will not go into unless for very good reason, but these can be any colour situations. They won't patrol some very-rich gated estates, gypsy communities, large rented estates, etc unless necessary.
                    But the 'Sharia law thing' is rubbish.
                    In 2005 the UK redacted the 'arrestable offence' and all but one minor offence cannot now be arrested by 'any person'. Only 'Indictable' (serious) offences can be detained by any-person. This law became more firm in 2017 so any group that wants to hang around streets confronting misdemeanors is going to come very unstuck.
                    OK, thanks.

Journalists..... Some new ones want to make their names, old ones want to re-affirm their names, some want to earn big money in the 'open journalism' market, some politically motivated. etc..... Same goes for scientists today that are angry, or new, or unknown, or politically motivated.
                    So we have to take care what we read and watch, I guess. This hasn't changed.
                    When I was young I could read about the same incident in the papers, and the Mirror and Mail would report exactly opposite viewpoints to each other. But if you bought the Times you probably got a balanced report.... etc.
                    Our Mainstream Media is pretty much an extension of the Democrat Party. Fox News and other conservative sources are pretty much extensions of the Republican Party.

Comment

And I agree - whether it's a BLM "mostly peaceful protest" or the violent entering of the US Capitol - the fullest prosecution under the law.
                      Yes...... to all.

BLM has hijacked the 'equality' message and has put Jesse Jackson's shake-down scam to a whole new level. If you don't support BLM, they will 'expose' you as racist, whether you are or not.
                      Major companies are scrambling to get on board so they're not targeted by this extremist organization.

(Rouge's comments apply here)
                      The trick is to support BLM while supporting all equality issues, I think.
                      In the UK even age, marital status, disability, etc have to be added to the list........ I'll support all colour equality and any who complain are wasting their time on me.

Comment

Yes...... to all.
                        The trick is to support BLM while supporting all equality issues, I think.
                        Or bypass the middleman and support equality issues - without bowing to BLM.
                        Do it because it's the right thing to do - not because you got scammed into it.

In the UK even age, marital status, disability, etc have to be added to the list........ I'll support all colour equality and any who complain are wasting their time on me.
                        And you did this without a Marxist organization creating a campaign that included rioting, vandalism, looting, burning of buildings, etc?

Comment

Oh, I would NEVER push to ban night demonstrations. Just saying "what's your objective"?
                          IF your objective is PEACE, a candle-light somber demonstration is wonderful - but it's not done in a downtown area where the participants show up 'ready to rumble'.
                          Fair enough....

BLM will never stop their night-time demonstrations, because they fully expect that the looting and rioting will happen. They pretty much invite it.
                          It's not like that here.
                          There can be trouble-demos, but they can come from any political direction.

Sadly, the MSM has bought into the BLM scam, and supports them to the point they'll do everything possible to excuse, explain, ignore...
                          That's just sad.....

Our Mainstream Media is pretty much an extension of the Democrat Party. Fox News and other conservative sources are pretty much extensions of the Republican Party.
                          I've heard about Dem and Rep media News and I wouldn't bother with any of them. The trick is to find an impartial source. That might mean looking abroad ........

I do follow BBC News, it's true, and the Beeb did fixate on every negative aspect of President Trump. But the BBC is more neutral in home news, I think.

Comment

Or bypass the middleman and support equality issues - without bowing to BLM.
                            Do it because it's the right thing to do - not because you got scammed into it.

And you did this without a Marxist organization creating a campaign that included rioting, vandalism, looting, burning of buildings, etc?
                            That was happening about 9 years ago.
                            Conservative PM David Cameron was in power and after the riots he made sure that every crime was arrested, tried and given maximum sentence.

Oh dear...... until recently we had a far-left-wing Opposition Leader who lost control of Labour to a middle-road leader. A week in politics....... I'm amazed! I cannot remember his blooming name! Honestly. Oh yes.... Jeremy Corbyn...... gone.

Comment

Fair enough....

It's not like that here.
                              There can be trouble-demos, but they can come from any political direction.
                              Let's just focus on that for a moment -- your country didn't suffer through a civil war (the War of Northern Aggression) that divided your country, and from which we are still paying the price.
                              There are those on one side who still want to fight that racist war, and there are those on the other side who will use that issue as an excuse to 'demonstrate' complete with rioting and looting and mayhem.

When black voices speak against the violence, harkening back to the non-violent teachings of MLK, they are quickly labeled "Uncle Toms", and attacked by their own.
                              I never owned slaves, my father never owned slaves, my grandfather never owned slaves, and everybody else in my line came from Scotland and Ireland.
                              Under the "reparations" nonsense being pushed by BLM, I would be required to pay money to people who were never owned as slaves, whose fathers were never owned as slaves, whose grandparents were never owned as slaves....

Look at their website's demands -- and they change frequently. "Slave patrols"? They refer to the riots this summer as "Freedom Summer". They call for Defunding the Police....
                              BLM Demands - Black Lives Matter

1. Convict and ban Trump from future political office:
                              We are joining Rep. Ilhan Omar, Rep. Ayanna Pressley, Rep. Cori Bush, Rep. Jamaal Bowman, and others who are demanding Trump be immediately convicted in the United States Senate. Trump must also be banned from holding elected office in the future. Call your members of Congress and demand they support conviction by dialing (202) 224-3121.

2. Expel Republican members of Congress who attempted to overturn the election and incited a white supremacist attack:
                              More than half the Republican representatives and multiple senators stoked Trump’s conspiracy theories and encouraged the white supremacists to take action to overturn the election. We are supporting Rep. Cori Bush’s resolution to expel them from Congress for their dangerous and traitorous actions. We also support steps to bar them from seeking another office.

3. Launch a full investigation into the ties between white supremacy and the Capitol Police, law enforcement, and the military:
                              The Capitol was able to be breached and overrun by white supremacists attempting to disrupt a political process that is fundamental to our democracy. We know that police departments have been a safe haven for white supremacists to hide malintent behind a badge, because the badge was created for that purpose. We also know off-duty cops and military were among the mob at the Capitol on January 6th. Guilty parties need to be held accountable and fired. We are supporting Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s COUP Act to investigate these connections.

4. Permanently ban Trump from all digital media platforms:
                              Trump has always used his digital media platforms recklessly and irresponsibly to spread lies and disinformation. Now it is clearer than ever that his digital media is also used to incite violence and promote its continuation. He must be stopped from encouraging his mob and further endangering our communities, even after inauguration.

5. Defund the police:
                              The police that met our BLM protestors this summer with assault rifles, teargas, and military-grade protective gear were the same police that, on Wednesday, met white supremacists with patience and the benefit of the doubt, going so far as to pose for selfies with rioters. The contrast was jarring, but not for Black people. We have always known who the police truly protect and serve. D.C. has the most police per capita in the country; more funding is not the solution.

6. Don’t let the coup be used as an excuse to crack down on our movement:
                              In response to the coup, Politicians have already introduced the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2021. We’ve seen this playbook before. These laws are used to target Black and brown communities for heightened surveillance. Republicans are already busy trying to create an equivalence between the mob on January 6th and our Freedom Summer. We don’t need new domestic terror laws, facial recognition, or any other new police power for the state. Our government should protect righteous protest and stay focused on the real issue: rooting out white supremacy. There are enough laws, resources, and intelligence, but they were not used to stop the coup. Our elected officials must uncover why.

7. Pass the BREATHE Act:
                              The police were born out of slave patrols. We cannot reform an institution built upon white supremacy. We need a new, radical approach to public safety and community investment. President Biden has already drawn on the BREATHE Act in his executive actions calling for racial equity screens in federal programs, investing in environmental justice at historic levels, and engaging with system-impacted communities. The BREATHE Act paints a vision of a world where Black lives matter through investments in housing, education, health, and environmental justice.

This is their own website - not just my comments on it.

Comment

Let's just focus on that for a moment -- your country didn't suffer through a civil war (the War of Northern Aggression) that divided your country, and from which we are still paying the price.
                                Yes, it did, we did, only a couple of hundred years earlier than yours.
                                I think we've got over ours, sure, but we surely did have a dreadful civil war between the wealthier, richer, better fed royalists and the much less well of working people. They even had different body shapes because of the differences in their lifestyles.

And the Northern Ireland Conflict has raged throughout my lifetime, leaving dreadful results behind.
                                Did you know that the Protestants can tell a Catholic that they never saw before, never knew? I challenged a tough old ex RSM who claimed he could do that and he did, on the spot, showed me every Catholic in the restaurant, whom I politely introduced myself to, explained the challenge and got the confirmation that he was right. I also got 'We know them 'n' all replies! Amazing. Amazing.

There are those on one side who still want to fight that racist war, and there are those on the other side who will use that issue as an excuse to 'demonstrate' complete with rioting and looting and mayhem.

When black voices speak against the violence, harkening back to the non-violent teachings of MLK, they are quickly labeled "Uncle Toms", and attacked by their own.
                                I never owned slaves, my father never owned slaves, my grandfather never owned slaves, and everybody else in my line came from Scotland and Ireland.
                                OK.
                                Scotland and Ireland.
                                It's in the blood, I'm afraid.
                                We walked in to a village pub just South of Fort William in Scotland and everybody stopped and stared. Before I could explain to my fiance a fine gentleman approached and asked me my name. I replied 'I know, I know Sir.... just tell me where it is'. He answered,'I think you'll find that your Public House in just down the road, on the right.'

Even in Scotland. Catholics and Protestants.

I must reply to the rest later..... must collect my wife.....

Comment