Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New Study Shows Hundreds of BLM 'Protests' Turned Violent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

My comment was made in a light-hearted spirit.

I sincerely doubt that any American on these boards would openly side with the Brits against their "Patriot" forebears!
    Case in point, you just admitted that you weren't concerned about honest debate, only trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Case in point, you just admitted that you weren't concerned about honest debate, only trolling.
      The remark was made in a light-hearted spirit but also to draw attention to the fact that when the proverbial shoe is on the other foot, we see attitudes change accordingly. This shifting of attitude among some has been demonstrated on this board over the January 6th riots at the Capitol. Had those rioters been BLM supporters I suspect that many here would not have been so objective in their comments.

Hence the violence [including attempted murder] and vandalism exhibited by the Patriots is rarely considered . They are viewed in the popular American mind as "noble" and "honourable" fighting for liberty and freedom; while the brutality exhibited towards British personnel and those colonials who would not support them is either ignored or glossed.

I will give John Adams the respect he is due for his conduct in the subsequent trial.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

The remark was made in a light-hearted spirit but also to draw attention to the fact that when the proverbial shoe is on the other foot, we see attitudes change accordingly. This shifting of attitude among some has been demonstrated on this board over the January 6th riots at the Capitol. Had those rioters been BLM supporters I suspect that many here would not have been so objective in their comments.

Hence the violence [including attempted murder] and vandalism exhibited by the Patriots is rarely considered . They are viewed in the popular American mind as "noble" and "honourable" fighting for liberty and freedom; while the brutality exhibited towards British personnel and those colonials who would not support them is either ignored or glossed.

I will give John Adams the respect he is due for his conduct in the subsequent trial.
        Oh, I'm certain that the talking points I relentlessly used to highlight hypocrisy of those who supported, endorsed, minimized, rationalized, or ignored the BLM riots made over the summer would have been used.

People hated those talking points when they came from my keyboard instead of the keyboards and talking heads supporting BLM riots.

Comment

I don't believe the map is accurate. It shows "protests" nearby in my vicinity but I don't recall any.

Comment

Oh, I'm certain that the talking points I relentlessly used to highlight hypocrisy of those who supported, endorsed, minimized, rationalized, or ignored the BLM riots made over the summer would have been used.
            People hated those talking points when they came from my keyboard instead of the keyboards and talking heads supporting BLM riots.
            Did you suffer derogatory remarks and animus from some on the conservative side because you attempted to display impartiality?

"It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Protest gatherings and marches can and do get out of control ....... especially as their size increases.
              Trouble is, there will always be villains in any crowd who take advantage, looting shops etc. At least, that's what we have experienced in the UK.

So now that you have ascertained that fact, how would you move forward with such knowledge?
              IF BLM was actually not expecting and encouraging the riots, how bout having the protests in the daytime, and be more focal about NOT wanting violence.
              How bout they come out with a clear powerful "NO VIOLENCE" message?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You are so full of crap - most of us very clearly denounce violence of any type in a "demonstration" - and I have very clearly said that every person who broke the law in the Capitol riot should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  I don't believe the map is accurate. It shows "protests" nearby in my vicinity but I don't recall any.
                  Maybe they were too peaceful to bet media attention?

Comment

Peaceful protesting is a right, while rioting is not. The problem comes from the fact that often peaceful protests turn into riots. This means you have to be very careful in stopping riots you don't crack down on the peaceful protest.
                    So obviously you would want to allow demonstrations.
                    Quite often villains will join with Demonstrations in order to loot or whip up the crowd in to disorder. Sometimes politically motivated folks will join in to bring discredit upon the demonstrators.

After riots in British cities about 9 years ago our police trawled through hundreds of hours of public, private and commercial cctv footage to identify and convict offenders and hundreds of people came forward with mobile phone video scenes as well. That is exactly what has happened after the US 06/01 riot, of course.

But there is something else that governments really need to do about genuine public demonstrations, and that is to research why they ever got started and to address the issues involved.

Comment

Me too! And in the manner in which most of us go about it - you apply for a permit, you comply with the rules and guidelines provided, and you keep it peaceful.

Quite often villains will join with Demonstrations in order to loot or whip up the crowd in to disorder.
                      Almost exclusively at night, and almost exclusively where they know such conduct will be tolerated, if not invited.

Sometimes politically motivated folks will join in to bring discredit upon the demonstrators.
                      And if the organizers of the protest sincerely wanted no violence, they'd keep an eye on things and expose those who would damage their message. MUCH easier to do in broad daylight.

After riots in British cities about 9 years ago our police trawled through hundreds of hours of public, private and commercial cctv footage to identify and convict offenders and hundreds of people came forward with mobile phone video scenes as well. That is exactly what has happened after the US 06/01 riot, of course.
                      In the major cities in the US where these riots have broken out, the powers that be don't give a flying flip about identifying the troublemakers because they're afraid of offending BLM.

But there is something else that governments really need to do about genuine public demonstrations, and that is to research why they ever got started and to address the issues involved.
                      The genuine public demonstrations are not the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Maybe they were too peaceful to bet media attention?
                        Actually, my family drove by one guy (a white guy) standing on a street corner all by himself with a "defund the police" sign. And he was smiling and dancing. Maybe that counts?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Actually, my family drove by one guy (a white guy) standing on a street corner all by himself with a "defund the police" sign. And he was smiling and dancing. Maybe that counts?
                          Who knows - or maybe that wasn't the protest they were noting. I have no idea.

Comment

Did you suffer derogatory remarks and animus from some on the conservative side because you attempted to display impartiality?
                            Please tell me you're not suggesting that it's YOU who is attempting to display impartiality!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

IF BLM was actually not expecting and encouraging the riots, how bout having the protests in the daytime, and be more focal about NOT wanting violence.
                              How bout they come out with a clear powerful "NO VIOLENCE" message?
                              I liked the idea of your 'Daytime Demonstration' suggestion, but then I remembered candle-light demos from here in the UK.
                              The 'No Violence' message will only work upon the genuine demonstrators.

Although your cities will have quite good CCTV coverage now, the UK is said to have the most dense cctv coverage in the world and I believe that. I live in a small seaside town and if I should cycle through the back streets from one side to t'other I could later be followed through the entire journey without too many breaks. That and the mobile phone are now really cutting in to crimes in public (and private) places around here, and I have read of hundreds of arrests after the 06/01 incident where you are.

Governments must take notice of genuine demonstrations and review their messages.......... and also 'nail' violence, criminal damage, burglary and theft wherever it occurs within these.

Comment

Quite often villains will join with Demonstrations in order to loot or whip up the crowd in to disorder. Sometimes politically motivated folks will join in to bring discredit upon the demonstrators.

I would. And the thing is that organizations understand the benefits of doing so, the same way that some groups recognize the use of human shields, and hide their operations in areas where collateral damage would be high.

There were plenty of people who actually defended the violence from BLM riots.

Comment