Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Golden Trump Statue isn’t Trump Worship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

How so? You don't think that is idolatry?
    I think those silly paintings suggest a deeper mental illness than the word idolatry suggests, which is good for you since there is plenty of silly Trump art and belief that Trump is God's anointed. Please don't make me search for that, I beg you!

Also, the Christian meaning of "idolatry" is largely self-serving. Many protestants regard Catholic veneration of saints and graven images as "idolatry," such as weirdo pastor John MacArthur:

Explaining the Heresy of Catholicism

Also, the Church as a whole casts anything as taking one's attention from God as "idolatrous," even though it involves no bowing nor offering of sacrifices. I believe the term has become almost meaningless and mostly self-serving.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      CPAC Nazi symbol also a hilarious troll:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...mbol-abhorrent

The only reason fake news exists is because of idiots like you. If you morons would stop eating this stuff up, then the media would stop publishing it.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The only reason fake news exists is because of idiots like you. If you morons would stop eating this stuff up, then the media would stop publishing it.
        The best fake news of all is that Trump is a superhero who stopped child trafficking. Conservatives thirst for fake news, STS being the latest epic con.

Comment

Great, so now satire and mockery is called "deception".

Of course it should probably be pointed out that the Hebrew word translated as "deceives" in these verses is referring more to actions that are intended to cause harm and not merely to mock someone. For instance, conning someone out of a thousand dollars and then saying, "Don't be so upset. It's just a joke."
          Jesus used sarcasm in many of his responses to the Pharisees. I figure we can do it, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think those silly paintings suggest a deeper mental illness than the word idolatry suggests, which is good for you since there is plenty of silly Trump art and belief that Trump is God's anointed. Please don't make me search for that, I beg you!

Also, the Christian meaning of "idolatry" is largely self-serving. Many protestants regard Catholic veneration of saints and graven images as "idolatry," such as weirdo pastor John MacArthur:

Also, the Church as a whole casts anything as taking one's attention from God as "idolatrous," even though it involves no bowing nor offering of sacrifices. I believe the term has become almost meaningless and mostly self-serving.
            You sure have a hate-on for MacArthur. The truth hurts, huh?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

You sure have a hate-on for MacArthur. The truth hurts, huh?
              No, I brought him up because he's the most popular protestant I know who believes Catholicism is idolatry, and we were talking about idolatry.

Comment

No, I brought him up because he's the most popular protestant I know who believes Catholicism is idolatry, and we were talking about idolatry.
                There's no need to get nasty, then and call him a "weirdo" or any other derogatory name.

Comment

There's no need to get nasty, then and call him a "weirdo" or any other derogatory name.
                  He called Catholicism heresy. He appeared on TBN, a network of crooks, to tell people that evolution is a lie. He's definitely a weirdo by religious standards, and that may be too kind word for him.

You're talking about "nasty" while telling people who may not be elected to be "really, really afraid" borders on malevolence if it weren't so comical.

Comment

Mental illness may explain the artist, but it doesn't explain his customers and why he keeps selling out.

I'm rather heretical myself so I don't judge Catholics.

Comment

He called Catholicism heresy. He appeared on TBN, a network of crooks, to tell people that evolution is a lie. He's definitely a weirdo by religious standards, and that may be too kind word for him.

You're talking about "nasty" while telling people who may not be elected to be "really, really afraid" borders on malevolence if it weren't so comical.

Just because MacArthur appeared on TBN for an interview ONCE, that doesn't mean he endorses it at all. Like so many others you are trying to find things to be outraged about.

As for the rest of your "screed", have at it. I know where I'm going, and it will be a terrible tragedy if you don't end up in the same place.

Comment

Mental illness may explain the artist, but it doesn't explain his customers and why he keeps selling out.
                        I see no reason why mental illness can't explain the market for cringey presidential "art." It also explains why people are so enamored with Trump they think he stopped child trafficking with a one-two punch, despite massive evidence to the contrary.

trump rocky.jpg

I'm rather heretical myself so I don't judge Catholics.
                        As long as you repent, you're golden.

Comment

As for the rest of your "screed", have at it. I know where I'm going, and it will be a terrible tragedy if you don't end up in the same place.
                          God elected people to salvation and damnation. Thank you for circling us back to that.

Comment

Great, so now satire and mockery is called "deception".

Of course it should probably be pointed out that the Hebrew word translated as "deceives" in these verses is referring more to actions that are intended to cause harm and not merely to mock someone. For instance, conning someone out of a thousand dollars and then saying, "Don't be so upset. It's just a joke."
                            It certainly deceived a few liberals and some posters on this website. Especially that doctored up photo of Republicans praying to it.

The verb מְשַׂחֵ֥ק is in the pi'el form.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
                            beguile, betray, bowman, carry, deceive, throw
                            A primitive root; to hurl; specifically, to shoot; figuratively, to delude or betray (as if causing to fall) -- beguile, betray, (bow-)man, carry, deceive, throw.

When I Survey....

Comment

Many Protestant churches are named after saints. St Paul's Cathedral in London. And many Protestant churches in my area. This is clearly not an issue with Protestants in general.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Many Protestant churches are named after saints. St Paul's Cathedral in London. And many Protestant churches in my area. This is clearly not an issue with Protestants in general.
                                It may not be an issue with what you call Protestants in general. Stop painting us all with the same brush.

P.S. Scripture is clear that ALL believers are saints. So naming a church after one of the Apostles is just silly.

Comment