Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dumb Down All Our Kids...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Down All Our Kids...

Boston public schools cancel new advanced classes for high performing students because of racial inequalities

School officials became concerned when a report showed that the program was disproportionately serving white students, and under serving black and Hispanic students.

The district analysis found that more than 70% of the students in the program were white or Asian, while nearly 80% of the students in the district are Hispanic or black.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/boston...cial-disparity
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

This has been a continuing theme - the "educators" seem to want to do everything BUT provide a quality education.

To a large extent, they see public school as a 'captive audience' to program with their liberal values. Way too many parents are ignorant of this.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      This has been a continuing theme - the "educators" seem to want to do everything BUT provide a quality education.

To a large extent, they see public school as a 'captive audience' to program with their liberal values. Way too many parents are ignorant of this.
      Can't remember which early famous educrat said that the role of public education was to teach those attending to be good citizens and be able to operate the equipment at the job they end up at (heavily paraphrasing).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

waiting for the lawsuits.
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Perhaps the question that educators [and everyone else] should be addressing is "What is the purpose and function of education?"
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Boston public schools cancel new advanced classes for high performing students because of racial inequalities

School officials became concerned when a report showed that the program was disproportionately serving white students, and under serving black and Hispanic students.

The district analysis found that more than 70% of the students in the program were white or Asian, while nearly 80% of the students in the district are Hispanic or black.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/boston...cial-disparity
            I am appalled by this.

My own son started in our county math and science magnet program in 4th grade. He had to go to schools outside our district for the rest of elementary school, middle school and high school. This was perfect for him. He finished the normal "advanced" high school math curriculum as a freshman in high school which enabled him to take all sorts of advanced classes in math and also in physics. He went to the top engineering university in the US. This program was highly competitive and some kids, not prepared for this level of competition, dropped out. Rather than setting racial quotas or terminating such programs, the effort should be made to identify talented kids early, in all schools, and give them the more advanced challenges they need.

I also do not think special programs should only be geared to the high-achieving students. There should also be special resources for struggling students, handicapped students, and for kids with special talents in music or athletics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Can't remember which early famous educrat said that the role of public education was to teach those attending to be good citizens and be able to operate the equipment at the job they end up at (heavily paraphrasing).
              And some people want to "protect" children from learning things certain groups object to like accurate sex ed, climate change science, evolution, the role of slaver in the Civil War, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That does sound pretty inequitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                  That does sound pretty inequitable.
                  For a better view of the issue

The program was open to all students in the Boston Public Schools who took a test known as Terra Nova in the third grade and received a high score. Those students were placed in a lottery conducted by the central administration office, and lottery winners received letters inviting them to apply to the program. Last fall, 453 students received invitations, 143 students applied and 116 enrolled this year, officials said.

WGBH
                  Only ~31.57% of those invited actually applied, but yeah, let's blame racism instead
                  Last edited by Diogenes; 02-28-2021, 12:14 PM. Reason: Can't have too much emphasis
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Only ~31.57% of those invited actually applied, but yeah, let's blame racism instead
                    Gee Dio, I wonder why only not even a third applied

Well, Dio, It could have something to do with:

Students in the program have the opportunity to study subjects in greater depth and are offered more schoolwork (emphasis added) than the traditional curriculum requires.

Same source WGBH
                    But to be on the safe side, let's not consider individual choicesand blame racism instead.
                    Last edited by Diogenes; 02-28-2021, 12:21 PM.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

We do not know how many of the 453 students who were invited were minorities.

It actually seems like a fair admissions process - you take a test, and those getting a certain score are subject to a lottery.

Where the unfairness comes in is in the substandard resources and preparation of kids in schools in minority neighborhoods who are at a disadvantage in taking that test.

Last edited by kccd; 02-28-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

We do not know how many of the 453 students who were invited were minorities.
                        Student eligibility was based on [the Terra Nova test score] in the third grade. If a minority (or non-minority) scored well enough on that test, they would have been eligible. This goes back to the ideological difference of equality of opportunity and equality of outcome. The only race-baiters, in this situation, [are those on] the left.
                        Last edited by Diogenes; 02-28-2021, 12:47 PM. Reason: specified test and subject/verb agreement
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Student eligibility was based on [the Terra Nova test score] in the third grade. If a minority (or non-minority) scored well enough on that test, they would have been eligible. This goes back to the ideological difference of equality of opportunity and equality of outcome. The only race-baiters, in this situation, [are those on] the left.
                          I have to agree, and the solution is not to shut down the program, which would deny the exceptionally talented kids the extra resources they should have to meet their potentials.

The solution is to do something to raise the achievement of minority kids so that they can be eligible for this advanced track.

This solution may require that resources be redirected to minority schools, or that minority students be placed in otherwise all-white upscale schools. Both of which would upset some people.

Comment

This solution may require that resources be redirected to minority schools, or that minority students be placed in otherwise all-white upscale schools. Both of which would upset some people.
                            Vouchers!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I have to agree, and the solution is not to shut down the program, which would deny the exceptionally talented kids the extra resources they should have to meet their potentials.

The solution is to do something to raise the achievement of minority kids so that they can be eligible for this advanced track.

No amount of cash transfers, school funding, or bussing is going to change Black culture.

For example, the lyrics of D12's "Amityville": WARNING FOR GRAPHIC LANGUAGE

My little sister's birthday/ She'll remember me/ For a gift I had ten of my boys take her virginity
                              Lyrics from individuals such as Snoop dog, Lil' Wayne, and Cheif Keef are no better.
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment