Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What's the bigger story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

By what standard?

I don't think either of them is particularly important here in California.
    National News, importance.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Both of those stories describe bad behavior and dishonesty.
      Have either of them offered a real apology?

The size of news stories is governed by what the public wants to hear. A few days ago it was Tiger Woods' accident, 24/7.
      Which do you think is more important and why?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Which do you think is more important and why?
        OK, but that was not the original question.

The Cuomo story is more important as it goes to the question of how this pandemic was mishandled in NY and whether what Cuomo did or allowed to happen resulted in deaths. I have to say, however, that this is a much broader issue that deals with how state and national leaders failed in multiple ways in this health catastrophe.

The Cruz story is not just a story of a man taking a vacation at the wrong time and then lying about his reasons. It connects to the general failure of Texas to protect its power infrastructure, and general unconcern about the consequences.

The Tiger Woods story is a sad sports story that deserves a few minutes at best, not hours and hours of coverage.

Comment

OK, but that was not the original question.
          Actually, it was. If you look in the OP I asked what was more important. Apparently you didn't actually read the OP before answering.

The Cuomo story is more important as it goes to the question of how this pandemic was mishandled in NY and whether what Cuomo did or allowed to happen resulted in deaths. I have to say, however, that this is a much broader issue that deals with how state and national leaders failed in multiple ways in this health catastrophe.

The Cruz story is not just a story of a man taking a vacation at the wrong time and then lying about his reasons. It connects to the general failure of Texas to protect its power infrastructure, and general unconcern about the consequences.
          You forgot to add that Cuomo also had an accusation of sexual harassment/assault (now 2).

Comment

Actually, it was. If you look in the OP I asked what was more important. Apparently you didn't actually read the OP before answering.

You forgot to add that Cuomo also had an accusation of sexual harassment/assault (now 2).

OK, but you subordinated the importance issue by using the word big in your thread title, so that is what I initially addressed.

And yes the harassment issue is important, but so far unsubstantiated and the second accusation is quite mild (he allegedly asked her if she has been involved with older men). I will agree that society takes this issue seriously when the accusations against Trump are taken seriously. Not holding my breath on that one.

Comment

OK, but you subordinated the importance issue by using the word big in your thread title, so that is what I initially addressed.

And yes the harassment issue is important, but so far unsubstantiated and the second accusation is quite mild (he allegedly asked her if she has been involved with older men). I will agree that society takes this issue seriously when the accusations against Trump are taken seriously. Not holding my breath on that one.
              Suboridnated, or clarified what was meant by "biggest"?

Are you saying #metoo only matters when Trump is accused?

Comment

National News, importance.
                Clearly, the Ted Cruz story is more important to liberals, and the Cuomo stories are more important to conservatives.

Comment

Clearly, the Ted Cruz story is more important to liberals, and the Cuomo stories are more important to conservatives.
                  So, what makes Cruz more important to liberals? From an objective standpoint, do you think liberals have the importance right?

Comment

So, what makes Cruz more important to liberals?
                    It's always fun to see a member of the other team take one on the chin.

From an objective standpoint, do you think liberals have the importance right?
                    I don't think importance is something that can be looked at from an objective standpoint. If something is important, it's important TO somebody. It's always subjective.

I suppose you can ask which story is important to more people, but we're pretty evenly divided right now.

Comment

It's always fun to see a member of the other team take one on the chin.

I don't think importance is something that can be looked at from an objective standpoint. If something is important, it's important TO somebody. It's always subjective.

I suppose you can ask which story is important to more people, but we're pretty evenly divided right now.
                      I think you pretty much answered the question though. After all, "fun" doesn't equate to importance, and that was all you were able to come up with when asked why liberals thought it was more important.

Comment

I think you pretty much answered the question though. After all, "fun" doesn't equate to importance, and that was all you were able to come up with when asked why liberals thought it was more important.
                        Yes, I answered the question, but I'm not sure you got it. Importance is subjective, and what's important to CNN and MSNBC is what's important to their viewers, which may not be the same things that are important to you.

Comment

Ah, so you are saying that CNN and MSNBC are biased because their viewers are biased.

Comment

Ah, so you are saying that CNN and MSNBC are biased because their viewers are biased.
                            Right. And biased in a different direction than you are.

Comment

Right. And biased in a different direction than you are.
                              Well, I would say that in a larger sense, a governor hiding numbers of deaths (caused by their own failed policies) because they feared a DOJ investigation would use it against them, and sexually harassing multiple aids, is objectively more important and impactful than a senator with no state-level power leaving a state in the middle of an emergency. I will agree that doing so was dumb, and very bad optics, but his leaving caused no actual harm.

But that's me, apparently you feel that is just subjective.

And you never answered your own opinion either.

Comment

Well, I would say that in a larger sense, a governor hiding numbers of deaths (caused by their own failed policies) because they feared a DOJ investigation would use it against them, and sexually harassing multiple aids, is objectively more important and impactful than a senator with no state-level power leaving a state in the middle of an emergency. I will agree that doing so was dumb, and very bad optics, but his leaving caused no actual harm.
                                New York's policy of forcing nursing homes to accept covid-19 positive patients apparently caused a lot of harm. Refusing to reveal the numbers so that Trump could have his DOJ launch an investigation, not so much.

Harassment is harmful, if it actually happened. But there are plenty of other stories about things that cause as much or more harm that don't get any air time.

But that's me, apparently you feel that is just subjective.
                                Right. You seem to have decided that the amount of harm done to someone is the measure of importance. Of course, by that measure, the biggest story of the last year was Trump downplaying the threat of the coronavirus, along with the importance of testing and the need for wearing masks and social distancing.

And you never answered your own opinion either.
                                For me, the importance of the stories is mainly dependent on how they affect the political careers of the people involved. It doesn't matter much to me if Cuomo is reelected, or if he has any chance of running for president. Ted Cruz's prospects of running for president are much more important to me, in a negative way.

So I'd probably come down slightly in favor of the Ted Cruz story being more important, though I'd again stress that I don't find either story particularly important.

Comment