Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Equality Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Equality Act

Here we go...

Biden and Democrats in Congress voting for Equality Act are undermining religious rights

Legislative efforts to, in effect, coerce religious Americans into betraying sincere, time-honored convictions are the opposite of equality under the law.

Specifically, it would override the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which gives people a way to challenge government requirements that they feel impinge on their religious rights. The religious freedom act was needed because of a Supreme Court ruling in 1990 that said First Amendment protections for religion couldn't be invoked to challenge a law if the law itself wasn't intended to specifically target religion (e.g., a measure like the Equality Act).

Several states and other jurisdictions
    have their own laws that protect LGBTQ people from discrimination in many areas but responsibly include reasonable religious exemption clauses. By not including such a clause and even forbidding recourse to the religious freedom act, the Equality Act sends an ugly message: Religion doesn't matter. The law, as the adage goes, is a teacher. And here it would be teaching that regrettable lesson.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ts-ncna1258787

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I honestly struggled with Luke 21:12-19 and couldn't imagine how that could ever literally happen here in the states. And here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I honestly struggled with Luke 21:12-19 and couldn't imagine how that could ever literally happen here in the states. And here we are.
      "Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for they so persecuted the prophets which were before you!"
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The irony is that specifically excluding RFRA may be enough evidence that it's hostile to religion to get the law thrown out.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          The irony is that specifically excluding RFRA may be enough evidence that it's hostile to religion to get the law thrown out.
          I don't see how that's possible. I can't imagine even a single Dem that would have the gonads to stand in opposition to liberal orthodoxy when it comes to LGBTQ, in fact, I struggle to think of a single Rep that will stand against it (maybe with the exception of Rand Paul).

Comment

I don't see how that's possible. I can't imagine even a single Dem that would have the gonads to stand in opposition to liberal orthodoxy when it comes to LGBTQ, in fact, I struggle to think of a single Rep that will stand against it (maybe with the exception of Rand Paul).
            Oh, i wasn't talking about whether it gets passed, I was talking about the inevitable lawsuit.

Comment

I actually don't think this bill will pass. God help any republican who votes for it....

Comment

I love how politicians give insidious legislation such friendly sounding titles. I mean, who could possibly oppose equality?
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I actually don't think this bill will pass. God help any republican who votes for it....
                  I thought Kam was the tiebreaker.

Comment

I think we found the answer to Where is Gomorrah...
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'll be interested to see who tries to seek action on the law against who and how the court cases play out. I'm not familiar with religious practices outside of Christianity but I suspect some of them are going to get by this law.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        I'll be interested to see who tries to seek action on the law against who and how the court cases play out. I'm not familiar with religious practices outside of Christianity but I suspect some of them are going to get by this law.
                        I'm looking at how aggressively "authorities" acted against religion (especially Christianity which we all know is treated with abject bias) during the lockdowns, which was bad enough. When it comes to the LGBTQ cult, that has much more power and persuasion than a little ol' pandemic.

Comment

First it was, "We just want to be accepted for who we are. It's not like we're asking to get married."

Then it was, "We're just asking to get married. It's not like we're going to start forcing churches to marry us."

And now...
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            First it was, "We just want to be accepted for who we are. It's not like we're asking to get married."

Then it was, "We're just asking to get married. It's not like we're going to start forcing churches to marry us."

And now...
                            Yep just horrible. We have already generously allowed them to enjoy some of our rights but they keep asking for more and more.
                            Unless this madness ends soon we are in danger of having to treat them like normal people.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

Yep just horrible. We have already generously allowed them to enjoy some of our rights but they keep asking for more and more.
                              Unless this madness ends soon we are in danger of having to treat them like normal people.
                              They already have those rights, this bill goes further stripping religious rights.

SEC. 1107. Claims.

“The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 (42 U.S.C. 2000bb et seq.) shall not provide a claim concerning, or a defense to a claim under, a covered title, or provide a basis for challenging the application or enforcement of a covered title.”.

Last edited by seer; 02-26-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment