Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Equality Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Selling a cake to a gay person or to a divorcee does not "involve" you in any immoral act.
    Discrimination is, however, an immoral act.
    Is it "immoral" for churches to refuse to offer Communion to infidels?

Is it "immoral" for churches to refuse to hire infidels for preaching, teaching, or counseling positions?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

You're comparing apples and horseshoes.
      Jesus' standard for marriage excludes no-fault divorce just as much as a same-sex couple.

If someone comes in and says, "I'd like you to bake me a cake TO CELEBRATE MY COMING-OUT DAY," there can be a problem.
      The sin is homosexual practice, not the modern distinction of the orientation

someone comes in and says, "I'd like you to bake me a cake TO CELEBRATE MY GAY WEDDING," there can be a problem.
      God allowed divorce for Moses despite it leading to adultery in God's view so there's a civil/religious distinction in Matthew 19. From a Christian perspective, I don't see justification to oppose civil benefits and protections to domestic partnership agreements for individuals of the same-sex. Churches though, shouldn't be forced to officiate or hold gay weddings.

"Don't ask, don't tell" would probably be a good policy.
      Cake decorations tend to be thematic so that would be hard avoid.

The bigger legal problem for the plaintiff would be establishing standing. If the denial of the making the cake caused an undue burden of the couple like in the instance of an allergy or local monopoly, I'd be more accepting of overruling the religious objection in a legal sense. The famous plaintiffs in the Colorado case weren't injured by the refusal of one company. I would have rejected it for lack of standing.. Living in a pluralistic society means sometimes not getting your way, the problem with the culture war is that each side wants society to go their way.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        By seeking to enact laws that would make it possible for homosexuals to deny their critics the rights that are otherwise protected by the First Amendment. You know, such as the so-called Equality Act that is the very topic of this thread. Or did you not bother to read the first post?
        If Gay Pride parades were like the old ones that it was just gays holding hands and in normal clothes, Watermelon may have a point. Modern pride parades now come with nudity and sadomasochists in gear while including children.
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

If Gay Pride parades were like the old ones that it was just gays holding hands and in normal clothes, Watermelon may have a point. Modern pride parades now come with nudity and sadomasochists in gear while including children.
          Homosexuals have the right to publicly demonstrate, as do those opposed to their moral choices. The so-called Equality Act is an attempt to deprive the latter of their protected rights.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Homosexuals have the right to publicly demonstrate, as do those opposed to their moral choices. The so-called Equality Act is an attempt to deprive the latter of their protected rights.
            I mean more that Pride parades are increasingly more about pushing the limits of public libertine displays than equality or mere expression of pride of an identity.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

By seeking to enact laws that would make it possible for homosexuals to deny their critics the rights that are otherwise protected by the First Amendment. You know, such as the so-called Equality Act that is the very topic of this thread. Or did you not bother to read the first post?
              Of course... this so called "Equality Act" is just an attempt to take away your right to discriminate against homosexuals...

Comment

Well, thank you for the compliment. I am not kvetching.
                I changed my registration for reasons I outlined on that thread, and yes, it was upsetting to have to hide my religious affiliation.
                I misunderstood you to have done it willingly -- oh well.

I don't intend to bring this up again.
                I'm not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, and will gladly discuss it with anybody anywhere anytime.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

All Constitutional freedoms have limitations.
                  Your right to swing your arm stops where my nose begins.
                  Unless you're using your liberty to break into my home, where your nose will be in grave danger.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Matthew 6:6 But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
                    Oh, FUN!!!! Bible Cafeteria!!!! I can play!!!!

Scripture Verse: [B

1 Peter 3:15] But in your hearts revere Christ as LORD. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have....

© Copyright Original Source

Ensuring the safety of others during a pandemic should take precedence over public prayer services in the opinion of my pastor.
                    Why does it not surprise me that you would be in a Church that goes into full retreat when things get tough --- you improvise! And continue being the Church!

The insult was not necessary.
                    Insult? It was friendly advice! Need a tissue?

Comment

Selling a cake to a gay person or to a divorcee does not "involve" you in any immoral act.
                      Ah, but it's not merely "selling a cake" --- anybody can go into a bakery (even a Christian-run one) and buy any cake that's on sale!

Discrimination is, however, an immoral act.
                      Your example involves no discrimination.

Comment

No the Equality Act is an attempt to make the Supreme Court ruling (that sexual orientation and/or identity is already protected from discrimination under the Civil Rights Act 1964) into statutory law.

Comment

Yeah, it goes to show you that the "we just want to love each other and be left alone" line was a bunch of crap - we were at the Southern Baptist Annual Meeting in Ohio during Gay Pride Week, and the X-rated stuff walking up and down the street was absolutely disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Is it "immoral" for churches to refuse to offer Communion to infidels?

Is it "immoral" for churches to refuse to hire infidels for preaching, teaching, or counseling positions?
                            Churches can offer Communion to anyone or no one. But, out of curiosity, how do they identify any infidels who approach the altar for Communion?

Churches should most definitely be allowed to hire only Church members in good standing for preaching, teaching, or counseling positions. Seems to me that this would be a necessary qualification for those jobs.

Comment

I mean more that Pride parades are increasingly more about pushing the limits of public libertine displays than equality or mere expression of pride of an identity.
                              Kind of like the New Orleans Mardi Gras celebrations that mark the beginning of Lent?

Comment

There's nothing about baking a cake that forces an individual to "be involved" in homosexual sexual acts. The Bible interestingly separates religious and civil aspects of divorce and, by extension. marriage. Oddly enough, it was Reagan who first introduced no-fault divorce which would be as unbiblical as same-sex civil marriage.

Should we, as a society, get rid of no-fault divorce?
                                Should a Jewish baker be forced by law to bake a cake for a neo-nazi group celebrating Hitler's birthday? Nothing immoral there - right?
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment