Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Equality Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

You mean like using the law to force a Christian baker to make a cake for a gay marriage?
    You run a business, you have to follow the rules governing that business. Or find something else to do for a living. Why should you be excused from following rules your competitors have to follow?

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

If you want to see gatekeeping in action, check the thread on Biden's memorandum on abortion. I had to change my affiliation from Christian.
      I thought you did so with grace, and now you're kvetching about it?

When you signed up with Tweb, you agreed with the rules and conditions. If you don't like them, you can start your own board!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

This is true in NY. I was speaking more broadly. There were pastors that were actually put in prison for not following pandemic mandates, though the church did acquiescence for the most part to the wishes of the state, most likely because of the widespread fear and hysteria. I'm sure much of the church will acquiescence to wishes of the state in regards to this policy, but others won't, and I suspect the treatment will be much harsher and consequential than not following pandemic mandates.
        Fear and hysteria?
        How about sensible restrictions to control a pandemic that has killed a half million Americans and counting?

I don't get the need for in person services. My church does virtual, except for very small in person funerals and baptisms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...vid-rob-mccoy/

This megachurch with packed non-masked congregants is now experiencing infections and deaths and the pastor says he has no responsibility and plans to continue doing these services. You think he should be allowed to endanger people like this?

Comment

Fear and hysteria?
          How about sensible restrictions to control a pandemic that has killed a half million Americans and counting?

I don't get the need for in person services. My church does virtual, except for very small in person funerals and baptisms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...vid-rob-mccoy/

This megachurch with packed non-masked congregants is now experiencing infections and deaths and the pastor says he has no responsibility and plans to continue doing these services. You think he should be allowed to endanger people like this?
          They weren't "sensible restrictions," as lockdowns have been proven to be faulty actions, not the least of which causes devastating consequences that are worse than the pandemic, and even mainstream contrarians and scientists have pointed this out. You'd know this if you were actually looking at an array of informational sources objectively instead of living in a political tribal box, and this I believe is detrimental to your Christian faith, particularly in the long term.

Comment

...I don't get the need for in person services. My church does virtual, except for very small in person funerals and baptisms....
            Somebody who was a serious student of the Bible would realize it's a command that we not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, and are instructed "as long as it is today" to encourage one another - that's kinda hard to do when you're not face to face. There's a reason Jesus established "the Church". And Paul goes into quite a lot of detail about 'the body' and how we are all parts that make up the whole, and speaks consistently about "the assembly", not individuals out there somewhere.

And might explain why you're such a... um.... 'different' christian (small c).

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You run a business, you have to follow the rules governing that business. Or find something else to do for a living. Why should you be excused from following rules your competitors have to follow?
              Er no, religious freedom is a Constitutional right - there is no Constitutional right to my labor. That is forced labor.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You want to allow people to discriminate, using religion as an excuse. When did Jesus do anything like that?
                Sure, why should we be forced to be involved with an immoral/sinful act?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There's nothing about baking a cake that forces an individual to "be involved" in homosexual sexual acts. The Bible interestingly separates religious and civil aspects of divorce and, by extension. marriage. Oddly enough, it was Reagan who first introduced no-fault divorce which would be as unbiblical as same-sex civil marriage.

Should we, as a society, get rid of no-fault divorce?
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I thought you did so with grace, and now you're kvetching about it?

When you signed up with Tweb, you agreed with the rules and conditions. If you don't like them, you can start your own board!
                    Well, thank you for the compliment. I am not kvetching.
                    I changed my registration for reasons I outlined on that thread, and yes, it was upsetting to have to hide my religious affiliation.
                    I don't intend to bring this up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Somebody who was a serious student of the Bible would realize it's a command that we not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, and are instructed "as long as it is today" to encourage one another - that's kinda hard to do when you're not face to face. There's a reason Jesus established "the Church". And Paul goes into quite a lot of detail about 'the body' and how we are all parts that make up the whole, and speaks consistently about "the assembly", not individuals out there somewhere.

And might explain why you're such a... um.... 'different' christian (small c).
                      Matthew 6:6
                      But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Ensuring the safety of others during a pandemic should take precedence over public prayer services in the opinion of my pastor.

The insult was not necessary.

Comment

Er no, religious freedom is a Constitutional right - there is no Constitutional right to my labor. That is forced labor.
                        All Constitutional freedoms have limitations.
                        Your right to swing your arm stops where my nose begins.

Comment

Selling a cake to a gay person or to a divorcee does not "involve" you in any immoral act.
                          Discrimination is, however, an immoral act.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                            How do [homosexuals] force you to embrace how they live?
                            By seeking to enact laws that would make it possible for homosexuals to deny their critics the rights that are otherwise protected by the First Amendment. You know, such as the so-called Equality Act that is the very topic of this thread. Or did you not bother to read the first post?
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Matthew 6:6
                              But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Ensuring the safety of others during a pandemic should take precedence over public prayer services in the opinion of my pastor.

The insult was not necessary.
                              Context is always important. The first verse of Matthew 6 says, "Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven." Clearly Matthew 6:6 is not denouncing the practice of gathering together for the purposes of fellowship and instruction.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

There's nothing about baking a cake that forces an individual to "be involved" in homosexual sexual acts. The Bible interestingly separates religious and civil aspects of divorce and, by extension. marriage. Oddly enough, it was Reagan who first introduced no-fault divorce which would be as unbiblical as same-sex civil marriage.

Should we, as a society, get rid of no-fault divorce?
                                You're comparing apples and horseshoes.

If someone comes in and says, "Please bake me a cake," there's no problem.

If someone flounces in and says, "Hey, sailor, bake me a cake," there's still no problem.

If someone comes in and says, "I'd like you to bake me a cake TO CELEBRATE MY COMING-OUT DAY," there can be a problem.

If someone comes in and says, "I'd like you to bake me a cake TO CELEBRATE MY GAY WEDDING," there can be a problem.

"Don't ask, don't tell" would probably be a good policy.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment