Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama says ALL black Americans should get reparations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama says ALL black Americans should get reparations

BARACK Obama says reparations for all black Americans are "justified" because the "wealth of this country was built on the backs of slaves".

The former president claimed, however, bringing in such a program during his term in office would have been a "nonstarter" because of "white resistance".

He made the comments during the second episode of his podcast series Renegades: Born in the USA with Bruce Springsteen, in which the pair spoke about race relations in the country.

When asked by the rock legend, 71, whether the US is prepared to consider reparations, Obama said: "If you ask me theoretically 'Are reparations justified?' the answer is yes.

"There’s not much question that the wealth of this country, the power of this country was built in significant part, not exclusively, maybe not even the majority of it, but a large portion of it was built on the backs of slaves."

Obama added that even after slavery formally ended, "the systematic oppression and discrimination of black Americans" carried on under Jim Crow laws - state and local laws that enforced racial segregation.

The 59-year-old said: "(It) resulted in families not able to build up wealth, not being able to compete, and that has generational effects.

"So if you’re thinking of what’s just, you would look back and you would say the descendants of those who suffered those kinds of terrible cruel often arbitrary injustices deserve some sort of regress, some sort of compensation. A recognition."

Obama went on to say that a proposal for reparations - payments made and programs created designed to help the descendants of slavery - during his presidency would have been met with "the politics of white resistance" and "white resentment".

"The talk of welfare queens and the talk of the undeserving poor and the backlash against affirmative action, all that made the prospect of actually proposing any kind of coherent meaningful reparations program struck me as politically, not only a nonstarter but potentially counterproductive."

Obama's comments came after it was revealed Joe Biden is considering giving black Americans "reparations for slavery" in a bid to tackle racial inequality in the US.

The White House announced last week that the president supports studying whether paying reparations to the descendants of enslaved people is an appropriate remedy.

Biden "continues to demonstrate his commitment to take comprehensive action to address the systemic racism that persists today," White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

It's unclear at this time, however, if he would back direct payments to the descendants of enslaved people, or would instead support programs aimed at fixing racial injustices that linger in the country today.

It comes after a Black Lives Matters leader demanded reparations from the government and compared America to "terrorists".

In a heated interview with Fox News last year, Hawk Newsome told anchor Martha MacCallum if she wants to talk about reparations, "nothing falls short of a solution other than people cutting a check."

When it came to who reparation checks would come from, he clarified that it wouldn't come out of "everyday American's pockets."

"We're talking about banks like Brown Brothers Harriman, who benefited from slavery," he said.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Obama should get back on his rainbow unicorn and shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      Obama should get back on his rainbow unicorn and shut up.
      I think I saw where he used to oppose this as a dumb idea, but then he got woke, I guess.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Fine. Since most of the slave owners were Democrats and the Democratic Party was the one fighting for slavery, let them fork over the reparations.

Comment

Somehow this looks like a big money pit to pour money into. I predict the actual descendants of slaves will get little benefit from any reparations programs.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Fine. Since most of the slave owners were Democrats and the Democratic Party was the one fighting for slavery, let them fork over the reparations.
            The will - but they'll use your money to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think I saw where he used to oppose this as a dumb idea, but then he got woke, I guess.
              It's so ridiculous and Obama knows that, but he's just virtue signalling, which makes him so repulsive of a person.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

It's so ridiculous and Obama knows that, but he's just virtue signalling, which makes him so repulsive of a person.
                He always seems to need to be "out front" leading the way, even if he has to drastically change his own positon.

“There goes my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.”

Comment

The will - but they'll use your money to do it.
                  Let them set up a Gofundme page.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Let them set up a Gofundme page.
                    Now THERE is an idea!

And all the flamin' liberals can toss in their money, instead of reaching into our pockets.

Comment

No he doesn't.

Your article states that "Obama said: "If you ask me theoretically 'Are reparations justified?' the answer is yes". [my emphasis]

There is also a later section where Obama makes a further point on why it could be a difficult proposition:

But during the podcast episode released this week, Obama also noted that it was "perfectly understandable" that not everyone may agree with reparations.

He added: "It's perfectly understandable why working class white folks, middle class white folks, folks who are having trouble paying the bills or dealing with student loans, or don’t have healthcare where they feel government has let them down wouldn't be too thrilled with a massive program that is meant to deal with the past but isn’t speaking to their future."

Which strikes me as a reasonable and balanced viewpoint.

However, Murdoch never lets reason balance get in the way of a chance to post a histrionic title screaming a statement that is not actually correct.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment