Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Capitol Officer Who Shot Ashli Babbit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capitol Officer Who Shot Ashli Babbit...

All told, seven people died in connection with the U.S. Capitol riot on Jan. 6. But only Ashli Babbitt’s death was directly caused by violence that day. She was a rioter killed by a Capitol Police officer, who fired the only shot by any person during the 4½-hour siege. Yet the story of who he is and why he opened fire remains shrouded in mystery.

More than six weeks after Babbitt succumbed to a single gunshot wound to the upper chest, authorities are keeping secret the identity of the officer who fired the fatal round. They won’t release his name, and the major news media aren’t clamoring for it, in stark contrast to other high-profile police shootings of unarmed civilians.

The secrecy has fueled Internet reports misidentifying the shooter as a Capitol Police special agent previously commended by President Trump for bravery. The false rumors have triggered threats against the officer.

Drawing on interviews with informed sources and available documents, RealClearInvestigations has put together a portrait of the actual shooter and the shooting, which some describe as completely justified and others call murder.

The officer who opened fire on Babbitt holds the rank of lieutenant and is a longtime veteran of the force who worked protective detail in the Speaker’s Lobby, a highly restricted area behind the House chamber, sources say. An African-American, he was put on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation led by the Metropolitan Police of the District of Columbia, which shares jurisdiction with the Capitol Police. The Justice Department is also involved in the inquiry.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that the officer has been interviewed and cleared of criminal wrongdoing by a preliminary investigation, suggesting that the police killing may soon be ruled justifiable homicide. But D.C. Police spokeswoman Alaina Gertz told RCI, “This case remains under active investigation.”

The well-placed sources told RCI the plainclothes officer has gone into hiding out of fear for his safety. They said he worries about reports that some of those arrested in the riots have declared “open (hunting) season” on whoever killed Babbitt, now a martyr in their cause. Twitter accounts have been created in her name, including "We Are Ashli Babbitt" and "Justice For Ashli Babbitt." “An unarmed American patriot was murdered in cold blood! We need to know who murdered #AshliBabbitt!” proclaimed one recent post.

Meanwhile, numerous lawmakers from both parties have hailed the lieutenant as a hero who saved lives that fateful day.

Most of the circumstances that led to his actions are still unclear. But video footage filmed by rioters shows the lieutenant, after taking up a defensive position in a doorway, carefully aiming and shooting Babbitt as she tries to climb through a smashed window beside a barricaded double door leading to the Speaker's Lobby, part of a pro-Trump mob of protesters. Babbitt, 35, had no weapon. She died later at a hospital. The decorated Air Force veteran, who had traveled from San Diego, was wearing a Trump flag as a cape when she was shot.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

popcorn.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I believe he has already been cleared by his department in a "righteous shooting", but that, of course, does not absolve him from a civil suit for wrongful death.

(unless, as a Capitol Police Officer, he has some kind of exemption from that)

Still, a spokesperson said yesterday it's still under 'active investigation'. So, more conflicting information.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I believe he has already been cleared by his department in a "righteous shooting", but that, of course, does not absolve him from a civil suit for wrongful death.

(unless, as a Capitol Police Officer, he has some kind of exemption from that)

Still, a spokesperson said yesterday it's still under 'active investigation'. So, more conflicting information.
        What is his name? If a cop shoots a black man the cop's name is always released.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

What is his name? If a cop shoots a black man the cop's name is always released.
          Yeah, no.

Supposedly, he's hiding in fear for his life - no name released as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

All told, seven people died in connection with the U.S. Capitol riot on Jan. 6. But only Ashli Babbitt’s death was directly caused by violence that day. She was a rioter killed by a Capitol Police officer, who fired the only shot by any person during the 4½-hour siege. Yet the story of who he is and why he opened fire remains shrouded in mystery.

More than six weeks after Babbitt succumbed to a single gunshot wound to the upper chest, authorities are keeping secret the identity of the officer who fired the fatal round. They won’t release his name, and the major news media aren’t clamoring for it, in stark contrast to other high-profile police shootings of unarmed civilians.

The secrecy has fueled Internet reports misidentifying the shooter as a Capitol Police special agent previously commended by President Trump for bravery. The false rumors have triggered threats against the officer.

Drawing on interviews with informed sources and available documents, RealClearInvestigations has put together a portrait of the actual shooter and the shooting, which some describe as completely justified and others call murder.

The officer who opened fire on Babbitt holds the rank of lieutenant and is a longtime veteran of the force who worked protective detail in the Speaker’s Lobby, a highly restricted area behind the House chamber, sources say. An African-American, he was put on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation led by the Metropolitan Police of the District of Columbia, which shares jurisdiction with the Capitol Police. The Justice Department is also involved in the inquiry.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that the officer has been interviewed and cleared of criminal wrongdoing by a preliminary investigation, suggesting that the police killing may soon be ruled justifiable homicide. But D.C. Police spokeswoman Alaina Gertz told RCI, “This case remains under active investigation.”

The well-placed sources told RCI the plainclothes officer has gone into hiding out of fear for his safety. They said he worries about reports that some of those arrested in the riots have declared “open (hunting) season” on whoever killed Babbitt, now a martyr in their cause. Twitter accounts have been created in her name, including "We Are Ashli Babbitt" and "Justice For Ashli Babbitt." “An unarmed American patriot was murdered in cold blood! We need to know who murdered #AshliBabbitt!” proclaimed one recent post.

Meanwhile, numerous lawmakers from both parties have hailed the lieutenant as a hero who saved lives that fateful day.

Most of the circumstances that led to his actions are still unclear. But video footage filmed by rioters shows the lieutenant, after taking up a defensive position in a doorway, carefully aiming and shooting Babbitt as she tries to climb through a smashed window beside a barricaded double door leading to the Speaker's Lobby, part of a pro-Trump mob of protesters. Babbitt, 35, had no weapon. She died later at a hospital. The decorated Air Force veteran, who had traveled from San Diego, was wearing a Trump flag as a cape when she was shot.

She was part of a violent mob smashing their way into and through the Capitol in an effort to subvert the final and official electoral vote count. I don't see why she deserves sympathy.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

She was part of a violent mob smashing their way into and through the Capitol in an effort to subvert the final and official electoral vote count. I don't see why she deserves sympathy.
              Wow.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

An African-American, he was put on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation...

Really? From the video I saw of the shooter, he looked like a middle-aged white guy with a noticeable receding hairline.

Comment

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Wow.
                    You think she should be made a saint? Or memorialized as a martyr to the cause?
                    Yes, I know this sounds harsh, and I am not celebrating her death, but the fact is she was in the process of breaking and entering when she was shot.

How many gun owners would not hesitate to shoot someone breaking into their home through a window? Especially if that person was part of an unruly mob?

Comment

Yes, I know this sounds harsh, and I am not celebrating her death, but the fact is she was in the process of breaking and entering when she was shot.

How many gun owners would not hesitate to shoot someone breaking into their home through a window? Especially if that person was part of an unruly mob?
                      Those who did would likely be quickly arrested for manslaughter since at that point it would be hard to claim they were an immediate threat. After they had entered and kept advancing as you warned them to stop would be a different matter.

Comment

I think her death should be treated the same way that the deaths of people by police officers were treated all last year. I'm sure if this person was a black liberal you would be the first one to call her a martyr and a saint.

You are absolutely celebrating her death. You are a deplorable person.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So..... you're FOR police abuse of power now? Had she been black and the officer white, would you still make that ignorant statement?
                          Should we shoot ALL protestors? How bout those in the actual riots this summer --- mow 'em all down with machine guns, maybe?

The only thing consistent about liberals is how incredibly inconsistent they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I think her death should be treated the same way that the deaths of people by police officers were treated all last year. I'm sure if this person was a black liberal you would be the first one to call her a martyr and a saint.

You are absolutely celebrating her death. You are a deplorable person.
                            I agree with kccd on this. A person at the front of a mob - breaking into a federal building in our nation's capitol - is shot (once) by an officer and dies. I have no sympathy for the victim. And if more rioters were shot and killed during the Leftist violence last year, I would feel pretty much the same.

We all reap what we sow, and people who join a violent mob know what they are getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              An African-American, he was put on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation...

Really? From the video I saw of the shooter, he looked like a middle-aged white guy with a noticeable receding hairline.
                              We know he's a "he" (so far, still identifying as such, as far as I know) and we know he's African-American, a Lieutenant, and been active duty police for quite a while.

Comment