Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Capitol Officer Who Shot Ashli Babbit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I was responding to Sparko who considers that "We need to bookmark the liberals arguments for the use of force here for the next time we have a thread about the police killing an "unarmed" black man."

The defence of such police actions by conservatives must also be noted.
    At least we're consistent. Now run along -- scat -- shoo..... go spew your insolence somewhere else.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Well, no, but you're playing ditzy judger.
      I have pointed out that you have the luxury of time to assess and reassess all the potential options and outcomes of that incident. And of course you are also quite safe in your own home while you do so.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      One of us is actually trained law enforcement, and, while not now on active duty, still very closely associated with law enforcement.
      You should know by now that appeals to status cut no ice with me.

Nobody else has been required to agree with everything I have written, but nobody else is being a ditz.
      You do not seem to care for my offering an alternative viewpoint.

This type of arrogant pointless arguing for which you are rather infamous doesn't belong here.
      Why is what I have written either "arrogant" or "pointless"?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I have pointed out that you have the luxury of time to assess and reassess all the potential options and outcomes of that incident. And of course you are also quite safe in your own home while you do so.
        I'll address this, then remind you that you have been asked not to post in this thread anymore -- perhaps I didn't make that clear enough.

After a deadly officer-involved shooting, he is required to complete an after-action report.

It is then standard procedure that a shooting board be convened to evaluate the incident.

I have been the subject of two shooting boards (cleared both times) and I have served on 4 shooting boards.

In a shooting board (some departments will call it something else) the board members go over every aspect of the shooting.
        It's exhaustive - every detail, the state of mind of the officer, what was he thinking, what else he could have done, overall circumstances.

It's pretty much what I've been doing here - because this is an area of my expertise.

Whether or not it "cuts any ice with you" (what a dumb saying) doesn't matter to me one little bit.

You have a habit of drawing every thread into long drawn nit-picking back and forth - and that's something up with which I shall not put.

Now, you have been asked to leave the thread - so if it was not clear enough before - let me make it crystal clear now.

As thread owner, I'm asking you to leave the thread - I have no interest whatsoever in anything you have to say.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll address this, then remind you that you have been asked not to post in this thread anymore -- perhaps I didn't make that clear enough.

After a deadly officer-involved shooting, he is required to complete an after-action report.

It is then standard procedure that a shooting board be convened to evaluate the incident.

I have been the subject of two shooting boards (cleared both times) and I have served on 4 shooting boards.

In a shooting board (some departments will call it something else) the board members go over every aspect of the shooting.
          It's exhaustive - every detail, the state of mind of the officer, what was he thinking, what else he could have done, overall circumstances.

It's pretty much what I've been doing here - because this is an area of my expertise.

Whether or not it "cuts any ice with you" (what a dumb saying) doesn't matter to me one little bit.

You have a habit of drawing every thread into long drawn nit-picking back and forth - and that's something up with which I shall not put.

Now, you have been asked to leave the thread - so if it was not clear enough before - let me make it crystal clear now.

As thread owner, I'm asking you to leave the thread - I have no interest whatsoever in anything you have to say.
          Gute Nacht oder besser gesagt [hier] guten Morgen!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Somebody had mentioned that it didn't appear that the shooter's gun was aimed at anybody, because in that cropped picture, you couldn't see many other people in the room.

Here's a more complete picture - note that he's not necessarily "aiming" at anybody, but his finger is on the trigger, it's a Glock .40, and there is somebody in his field of fire. When your weapon is drawn, and your finger is on the trigger, you make DURN SURE nobody is in your field of fire.

You'll also see that there are at least 4 other armed officers/persons in that room - none of whom are handling weapons inappropriately.

wider shot.jpg
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-26-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

We should likewise "bookmark" the conservatives when they defend such incidents.
              If you can find similar cases of such stellar examples as postulating that someone could be armed (not suddenly reaching into a pocket, but just the possibility) as justification for shooting someone then please do. Such an argument is indeed moronic.

Same with equating an unarmed person climbing through a window as being as bad (if not worse!) than a wanted cold-blooded killing suspect pulling a pistol out when the cops arrive, or pointing a rifle at the police while in the middle of firebombing cars and trying to blow up a building.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                If you can find similar cases of such stellar examples as postulating that someone could be armed (not suddenly reaching into a pocket, but just the possibility) as justification for shooting someone then please do. Such an argument is indeed moronic.

Same with equating an unarmed person climbing through a window as being as bad (if not worse!) than a wanted cold-blooded killing suspect pulling a pistol out when the cops arrive, or pointing a rifle at the police while in the middle of firebombing cars and trying to blow up a building.
                She has been dispatched from this thread, so we need not be addressing her.

There was another officer that day in a similar situation, but he didn't rush to shoot the protesters, he quickly summoned reinforcements, and they drove the protesters back.
                Now THAT was heroic - and smart - action!

One of the problems was that Capitol Police officers could not get straight answers for rules of engagement regarding the use of deadly force for the expected event.

While it is certainly the duty of the Capitol Police to protect the Capitol and its occupants - a huge part of their job is public relations.

I've shared before that, when Mrs CP and I visited DC a while back, we walked up to the Capitol to take pictures, and it was two Capitol Police Officers who approached us and asked us if we'd like a tour of the building. They were quite friendly and professional, and pointed out that when the flag is displayed, a session is in progress. They ushered us to 'security', and guided us to the galley where we are able to watch Nancy marshalling her troops and and directing operations.

Comment

• Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman is the officer who was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal because of his courage in diverting a mob...

congressional gold medal.jpg

He wasn't hiding behind a barrier and shooting from the side - he stepped out and confronted the protesters, exercising what is known in police circles as "command presence".

Comment

She has been dispatched from this thread, so we need not be addressing her.
                    Mea culpa. I posted before seeing that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman is the officer who was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal because of his courage in diverting a mob...

congressional gold medal.jpg

He wasn't hiding behind a barrier and shooting from the side - he stepped out and confronted the protesters, exercising what is known in police circles as "command presence".
                      Ashli Babbitt's shooter was reportedly assigned to the Speaker's Lobby, so he may not have had as much discretion to move around the Capitol as Goodman. Each officer has his own assignment.

And yes, Goodman has been rightfully lauded for saving lives that day. Not necessarily the lives of lawmakers, but the lives of protesters. Because officers were waiting in the Senate Chamber with guns drawn, and if rioters had broken in while Senators were present, they might have suffered the same fate as Ashli Babbitt.

Source: https://www.wusa9.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/get-up-dc/eugene-goodman-capitol-police-reese-waters-final-thought/65-47d56320-126f-46ed-a348-4fe7a2b64bc4

Seeing that they were heading towards the open Senate chambers, Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman took control of the mob, giving its leader a shove to get his attention and then drawing them away in pursuit.

In short, he tricked them, willingly becoming the rabbit to their wolf pack, pulling them away from the chambers where armed officers were waiting, avoiding tragedy and saving lives. Lives which include their own.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                        Ashli Babbitt's shooter was reportedly assigned to the Speaker's Lobby, so he may not have had as much discretion to move around the Capitol as Goodman. Each officer has his own assignment.
                        Goodman just seems like a much more disciplined guy - a seasoned veteran.

And yes, Goodman has been rightfully lauded for saving lives that day. Not necessarily the lives of lawmakers, but the lives of protesters. Because officers were waiting in the Senate Chamber with guns drawn, and if rioters had broken in while Senators were present, they might have suffered the same fate as Ashli Babbitt.
                        Officers are sworn to protect the lives of anybody who is not an immediate deadly threat. Heck, I even protected the lives of KKK marchers and GLBT floats in a parade. (Not at the same time )

Source: https://www.wusa9.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/get-up-dc/eugene-goodman-capitol-police-reese-waters-final-thought/65-47d56320-126f-46ed-a348-4fe7a2b64bc4

Seeing that they were heading towards the open Senate chambers, Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman took control of the mob, giving its leader a shove to get his attention and then drawing them away in pursuit.

In short, he tricked them, willingly becoming the rabbit to their wolf pack, pulling them away from the chambers where armed officers were waiting, avoiding tragedy and saving lives. Lives which include their own.

© Copyright Original Source

Smart work - I'm glad we both believe he acted honorably!

Comment

• Originally posted by kccd View Post

You think she should be made a saint? Or memorialized as a martyr to the cause?
                          Yes, I know this sounds harsh, and I am not celebrating her death, but the fact is she was in the process of breaking and entering when she was shot.

How many gun owners would not hesitate to shoot someone breaking into their home through a window? Especially if that person was part of an unruly mob?
                          Indeed. I'll start with the caveat that I don't know the details of why she was shot (what she was doing, where she was standing, etc). So, barring, a totally unrighteous shoot, my first thought was: play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
                          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Those who did would likely be quickly arrested for manslaughter since at that point it would be hard to claim they were an immediate threat. After they had entered and kept advancing as you warned them to stop would be a different matter.
                            I dunno though, if there are thousands of their accomplices behind them, swarming the house? The number of combatants on the other side matters.
                            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                              Indeed. I'll start with the caveat that I don't know the details of why she was shot (what she was doing, where she was standing, etc). So, barring, a totally unrighteous shoot, my first thought was: play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
                              And I agree, but I don't believe anybody deserved the death penalty for rioting.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I think her death should be treated the same way that the deaths of people by police officers were treated all last year. I'm sure if this person was a black liberal you would be the first one to call her a martyr and a saint.

You are absolutely celebrating her death. You are a deplorable person.
                                As a conservative Christian cop, I feel no more emotion about her death than any other time I read of a criminal being killed by police in the act of committing a crime. Am I also deplorable? Just curious.

Comment