Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden signs memorandum reversing Trump abortion access restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I pretty much assumed that she was a Catholic of some type but never asked. But FWIU they usually wouldn't refer to themselves as a "youth pastor" or "youth minister" and I'm almost certain she wasn't ordained.
    I see youth workers all the time referring to themselves as "youth pastor" or "youth minister" absent any official endorsement by a religious organization.

My pet peeve is with people who call themselves "worship pastor" when all they do is sing and lead a "praise band".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I see youth workers all the time referring to themselves as "youth pastor" or "youth minister" absent any official endorsement by a religious organization.

My pet peeve is with people who call themselves "worship pastor" when all they do is sing and lead a "praise band".
      Because we know that worship doesn't start OR end with the singing!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I suppose a teacher of children might call themselves a minister or pastor in the RCC, but I'm not sure.

Given her choice and the fact that she indulged in certain funny cigarettes (back during the time when I did so quite frequently myself [1]) she probably wasn't the best candidate for the job

1. early-mid 80s

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Given her choice and the fact that she indulged in certain funny cigarettes (back during the time when I did so quite frequently myself [1]) she probably wasn't the best candidate for the job

1. early-mid 80s
          Yuh.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Did she come out of a Catholic background, where birth control is a no-no? I have never heard a Protestant pastor proclaim that birth control is sinful. But my experience is limited to just a couple of denominations, so I could be naive.

Having said that, I do believe that IUD's are abortion-causing because of the way they work. So I would call using those constantly is sinful.

Our current pastor was asked about birth control once, especially tubal ligation or vasectomy, and he said that God gives a woman choice every month, because we are not always in oestrus, and hence are able, because of our cycles, to determine, at least generally, when we are able to conceive, and can avoid becoming pregnant during that time, so there is no problem with taking care of that issue on a permanent basis if you don't want children or any more children. He included condoms and hormone-changing birth control pills, as well as abstinence, in his answer.
            In all my years in conservative Protestant churches, I've never heard a sermon on birth control.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

In all my years in conservative Protestant churches, I've never heard a sermon on birth control.
              Nor I. This was a particular question asked during an informal Q & A session that the pastor does every few months.

Comment

Birth control and condoms have been encouraged since I was in high school, and that was a very long time ago. But things have only gotten worse with the legalization of abortion. So I don't think it's a valuable solution to push it more. Nobody is paying attention.
                And let's be honest, nobody really likes doing the deed with a condom, it's just a way of avoiding the consequences. It's essentially saying that it's okay to do whatever you want as long as there are no negative consequences to yourself. By proposing abortion as another valid avenue for avoiding consequences, it just makes people less willing to dull their sexual pleasure with a condom.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  And let's be honest, nobody really likes doing the deed with a condom, it's just a way of avoiding the consequences. It's essentially saying that it's okay to do whatever you want as long as there are no negative consequences to yourself. By proposing abortion as another valid avenue for avoiding consequences, it just makes people less willing to dull their sexual pleasure with a condom.
                  What everyone forgets is that condoms are never advertised as a way to prevent unwanted pregnancies (way to unreliable) but rather as a way to prevent STDs.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What everyone forgets is that condoms are never advertised as a way to prevent unwanted pregnancies (way to unreliable) but rather as a way to prevent STDs.
                    And they don't always do that.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

IMHBAO, those who self-aggrandize what they do like that bear keeping an eye on.

Comment

Biden signs memorandum reversing Trump abortion access restrictions

(CNN)President Joe Biden signed a presidential memorandum on Thursday to reverse restrictions on abortion access domestically and abroad imposed and expanded by the Trump administration.

The memorandum will "reverse my predecessor's attack on women's health access," Biden told reporters during a signing ceremony in the Oval Office.
                        He added that the measure "relates to protecting women's health at home and abroad, and it reinstates the changes that were made to Title X and other things making it harder for women to have access to affordable health care as it relates to their reproductive rights."

Biden's move fulfilled a campaign promise to rescind the so-called Mexico City Policy, a ban on US government funding for foreign nonprofits that perform or promote abortions. The Trump administration reinstated the restriction in 2017 by presidential memorandum and then extended it to cover all applicable US global health funding. That made some $9.5 billion in aid for everything from HIV treatment to clean water projects and child immunizations contingent on groups agreeing not to discuss or perform abortions.

The memorandum also directs the Health and Human Services Department to immediately move to consider rescinding the Trump administration rule blocking health care providers in the federally funded Title X family planning program from referring patients for abortions, according to the Biden administration.

Taken together, the actions show an administration receptive to at least the initial requests of advocates eager to codify a new era of abortion protections after the prior administration took restrictions on the procedure to unprecedented levels.

Aside from the fact it's a type of evil and disregard for life in general we unfortunately expect in a secular regime, considering blacks are getting aborted four times the rate of whites.... why am I not the least bit surprised?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          Aside from the fact it's a type of evil and disregard for life in general we unfortunately expect in a secular regime, considering blacks are getting aborted four times the rate of whites.... why am I not the least bit surprised?
                          What disturbs me about this is we had no reason NOT to expect this, but yet Christians voted for Biden because OMB - even though anybody with half a brain would have known this is where the left is going.

Comment

Now I'm picturing all of those Babylon Bee headlines about wannabe rock stars playing in the worship band.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Now I'm picturing all of those Babylon Bee headlines about wannabe rock stars playing in the worship band.
                              Yeah, and that's been my experience -- that a lot of these "worship pastors" are people who couldn't make it professionally, but needed some place to "perform".

I'd far rather have a guy who's living for Jesus and does a halfway decent job of leading the singing.

Comment

What disturbs me about this is we had no reason NOT to expect this, but yet Christians voted for Biden because OMB - even though anybody with half a brain would have known this is where the left is going.
                                People were convinced that Trump's philandering and lack of a filter were somehow worse than the Democrat party's thirst for blood.

Comment