Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden signs memorandum reversing Trump abortion access restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden signs memorandum reversing Trump abortion access restrictions

Biden signs memorandum reversing Trump abortion access restrictions

(CNN)President Joe Biden signed a presidential memorandum on Thursday to reverse restrictions on abortion access domestically and abroad imposed and expanded by the Trump administration.

The memorandum will "reverse my predecessor's attack on women's health access," Biden told reporters during a signing ceremony in the Oval Office.
    He added that the measure "relates to protecting women's health at home and abroad, and it reinstates the changes that were made to Title X and other things making it harder for women to have access to affordable health care as it relates to their reproductive rights."

Biden's move fulfilled a campaign promise to rescind the so-called Mexico City Policy, a ban on US government funding for foreign nonprofits that perform or promote abortions. The Trump administration reinstated the restriction in 2017 by presidential memorandum and then extended it to cover all applicable US global health funding. That made some $9.5 billion in aid for everything from HIV treatment to clean water projects and child immunizations contingent on groups agreeing not to discuss or perform abortions.

The memorandum also directs the Health and Human Services Department to immediately move to consider rescinding the Trump administration rule blocking health care providers in the federally funded Title X family planning program from referring patients for abortions, according to the Biden administration.

Taken together, the actions show an administration receptive to at least the initial requests of advocates eager to codify a new era of abortion protections after the prior administration took restrictions on the procedure to unprecedented levels.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'm sure millions of women are rejoicing.

Dear Lord, please come soon.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I'm sure millions of women are rejoicing.

Dear Lord, please come soon.
      I wonder if any Christians who voted for Biden are having buyer's remorse.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I wonder if any Christians who voted for Biden are having buyer's remorse.
        I'd like to think so, but I think many of those are "Christian" in name only and really don't care.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Oh joy. Now American taxpayers can start paying for abortions in other countries. I guess Moloch must be fed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Despite my being pro-choice, calling abortion "health care" is a bit of a misnomer.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
              Despite my being pro-choice, calling abortion "health care" is a bit of a misnomer.
              A bit?

Abortion is healthcare to the same extent that shooting someone in the head is healthcare.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

A bit?

Abortion is healthcare to the same extent that shooting someone in the head is healthcare.
                Or a firing squad is legal assistance

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                  Exactly. If abortion is such a good thing, why do they have to couch it in "newspeak" - why not just come right out and say they are reversing Trumps restrictions on abortion so that women can more easily kill their fetuses?

Comment

And they said TRUMP was the dictator wannabe....
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This shows why we need actual legislation passed to effect lasting change. Executive orders come and go with whoever is in office. Without legislation, many things will continue to flip flop every 4 years. But congress doesn't seem to be interested in legislating any more. All they do is call names and fight amongst themselves. And bloviate at news conferences and social media.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        And they said TRUMP was the dictator wannabe....
                        Poor JimL

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          This shows why we need actual legislation passed to effect lasting change. Executive orders come and go with whoever is in office. Without legislation, many things will continue to flip flop every 4 years. But congress doesn't seem to be interested in legislating any more. All they do is call names and fight amongst themselves. And bloviate at news conferences and social media.
                          What we need is for both sides to agree that governing by EO was NOT what the Founders has in mind and curtail that nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Exactly. If abortion is such a good thing, why do they have to couch it in "newspeak" - why not just come right out and say they are reversing Trumps restrictions on abortion so that women can more easily kill their fetuses?
                            I don't believe that abortion is a "good thing" per se, I view it more as a consequence of modernity. The use of contraceptives (I would include Plan B here) and condoms is better than an abortion. Abstinence is even better. My "pro-choice" position is based on 1) I don't believe the ZEF is a person during the 1st Trimester so I view it as an issue regarding bodily rights and 2) if the mother's life becomes endangered due to the pregnancy, she has the right to self-preservation. I would have an issue of government funding non-profits that perform abortions. I don't have an issue with the government funding non-profits that, for example, distribute contraceptives and condoms while performing health screenings that also informs an individual that abortion is a legal option in their country.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

What we need is for both sides to agree that governing by EO was NOT what the Founders has in mind and curtail that nonsense.
                              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

But how else will POTII circumvent being accountable to the electorate?

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment