Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden signs memorandum reversing Trump abortion access restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

People were convinced that Trump's philandering and lack of a filter were somehow worse than the Democrat party's thirst for blood.
    Hence, the sacrificed the ultimate on the altar of the immediate.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Aside from the fact it's a type of evil and disregard for life in general we unfortunately expect in a secular regime, considering blacks are getting aborted four times the rate of whites.... why am I not the least bit surprised?
      What kind of "secular regime" are you conceiving? The obvious ones would be the regular totalitarian regimes of PRC, Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and DRPK but these are not the standard of secular governments.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

What kind of "secular regime" are you conceiving? The obvious ones would be the regular totalitarian regimes of PRC, Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and DRPK but these are not the standard of secular governments.
        Secular regime as in one that would justify infanticide. But that just reflects a natural course of evil that exists in a fallen world. I'm more interested in the potential racial aspect of this (the political left's "accidental" tendency to support policies that are deleterious to minorities), but I suspect that would derail the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Biden signs memorandum reversing Trump abortion access restrictions

(CNN)President Joe Biden signed a presidential memorandum on Thursday to reverse restrictions on abortion access domestically and abroad imposed and expanded by the Trump administration.

The memorandum will "reverse my predecessor's attack on women's health access," Biden told reporters during a signing ceremony in the Oval Office.
          He added that the measure "relates to protecting women's health at home and abroad, and it reinstates the changes that were made to Title X and other things making it harder for women to have access to affordable health care as it relates to their reproductive rights."

Biden's move fulfilled a campaign promise to rescind the so-called Mexico City Policy, a ban on US government funding for foreign nonprofits that perform or promote abortions. The Trump administration reinstated the restriction in 2017 by presidential memorandum and then extended it to cover all applicable US global health funding. That made some $9.5 billion in aid for everything from HIV treatment to clean water projects and child immunizations contingent on groups agreeing not to discuss or perform abortions.

The memorandum also directs the Health and Human Services Department to immediately move to consider rescinding the Trump administration rule blocking health care providers in the federally funded Title X family planning program from referring patients for abortions, according to the Biden administration.

Taken together, the actions show an administration receptive to at least the initial requests of advocates eager to codify a new era of abortion protections after the prior administration took restrictions on the procedure to unprecedented levels.

If it is a legal procedure (it is), restrictions on its availability should be no more onerous than getting a colonoscopy or cataract surgery.

Organizations performing this legal procedure should not be penalized and should be able to operate in the USA and globally.

If you anti-abortionists want to block abortions, you need to pass the necessary legislation. Unfortunately for you, that would be extremely unpopular and would only result in driving the procedure underground. The most effective way to limit abortions is to ensure that all women have cost-free access to the most effective contraceptives and to teach young people medicine-based sex ed.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

If it is a legal procedure (it is), restrictions on its availability should be no more onerous than getting a colonoscopy or cataract surgery.

Organizations performing this legal procedure should not be penalized and should be able to operate in the USA and globally.

If you anti-abortionists want to block abortions, you need to pass the necessary legislation. Unfortunately for you, that would be extremely unpopular and would only result in driving the procedure underground. The most effective way to limit abortions is to ensure that all women have cost-free access to the most effective contraceptives and to teach young people medicine-based sex ed.
            Why should American taxpayers be forced to pay for abortions in other countries? Is there some quota that needs filling that isn't being met since the rate of abortions here are dropping (a fact which upsets Planned Parenthood)?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Why should American taxpayers be forced to pay for abortions in other countries? Is there some quota that needs filling that isn't being met since the rate of abortions here are dropping (a fact which upsets Planned Parenthood)?
              American taxpayers pay for lots of things in other countries. Why single out abortion?

Comment

American taxpayers pay for lots of things in other countries. Why single out abortion?
                In part because it is in violation of the Helms Amendment, which was passed and signed into law in 1973 and prohibits US foreign aid from being used to provide abortions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I had to double check and triple check your faith designation because I would not expect a Christian to so strongly defend abortion.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Because abortion is overwhelmingly an elective procedure and it's not the government's prerogative to subsidise elective procedures. Condoms assist in preventing STDs as well pregnancies so the government giving out free condoms is different.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I am asking this as one of the site owners. Please explain what you believe about Christ and why you call yourself a Christian.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah, it's EXACTLY like that, except of course that in one you WANT the procedure to result in a dead body, and in the others, you don't.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I had to double check and triple check your faith designation because I would not expect a Christian to so strongly defend abortion.
                          Conceivably, there's a 40-day window in which a Christian could defend abortion, but it's extremely tenuous and highly nuanced. It'd be like walking on a tight rope on stilts. It would come no where near supporting abortion carte blanche. Abortion for when the mother is in danger is probably easier for a Christian though that's not why most abortion are requested.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Conceivably, there's a 40-day window in which a Christian could defend abortion, but it's extremely tenuous and highly nuanced. It'd be like walking on a tight rope on stilts. It would come no where near supporting abortion carte blanche. Abortion for when the mother is in danger is probably easier for a Christian though that's not why most abortion are requested.
                            I see what you did there!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I see what you did there!
                              I'm being charitable as, within Thomism, I think there's room for abortion, but the metaphysical gymnastics required are extremely outside my ability, even to be a Devil's Advocate. Pregnancy detection would have to improve dramatically. Currently, Plan B is probably the only effective way to currently get within that window.
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I'm being charitable as, within Thomism, I think there's room for abortion, but the metaphysical gymnastics required are extremely outside my ability, even to be a Devil's Advocate. Pregnancy detection would have to improve dramatically. Currently, Plan B is probably the only effective way to currently get within that window.
                                I meant using the word "conceivably" -- since so often we will say that life begins at conception.

Except for the wise old Jewish Rabbi who cays that life begins when the kids move away and the dog dies.

Comment