Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Former Cuomo Aide Says She Resigned After He Forcibly Kissed Her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I think the rules are different nowadays. Everybody thought Trump was done after the Access Hollywood Tapes, and then after the Capitol riot, and any number of times... people have short memories. If he can come back after being largely disavowed by his own party twice, Cuomo can come back, especially given that he is getting handled a lot differently by the media. Right now, people are still talking more about Ted Cruz than Cuomo. CNN will be more than happy to cover for Cuomo once the time is ready.
    With Trump, the Democrats go so far overboard in trying to demonize him on things he hasn't done and exaggerate the things he has done, that it forces Republicans to defend him, where they would normally not.

The babylon bee actually was pretty prescient in this satire piece:

MARYSVILLE, OH—Local man Dennis Pavone is a middle-of-the-road conservative. He's not crazy about President Donald Trump yet finds himself constantly being forced to defend the man against ever more deranged attacks from both the left and the Never Trump right.

Pavone says he's always getting dragged into arguments where the accusations leveled against Trump are so outlandish that he's forced to take the president's side.

"OK, I'm really not a big Trump fan, so please stop making me defend him, you psychos," he wrote in a recent Twitter thread after a progressive accused Trump of forcing a couple to drink aquarium cleaner. "Seriously, how insane do you people have to be to make me side with Trump every time? I didn't even vote for him!"

https://babylonbee.com/news/man-just...-defend-trump/

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And I almost missed this racist comment....

"He told me I had only worked for a 'Black man from a small town in Mississippi' and, therefore, wasn't qualified to lead the public affairs office for him," she wrote.

"The Black man from a small town was Mike Espy, who became the first Black congressman from Mississippi since Reconstruction," she said, before adding, "But that was immaterial to Cuomo, who needed complete control."

Cuomo has come under intense scrutiny in recent weeks
      Looks like the dam has broken now. He has his own personal #metoo movement going against him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Looks like the dam has broken now. He has his own personal #metoo movement going against him.
        The fact that he didn't hold his expected press conference yesterday on Covid is interesting - he LOVES being before the press, but I think he knows that the questions they'll be asking won't be Covid related.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In New York, we will not waver and will not back down. To Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and all survivors of sexual assault, we believe you and we will fight for you.

Governor Cuomo following Kavanaugh's confirmation.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

With Trump, the Democrats go so far overboard in trying to demonize him on things he hasn't done and exaggerate the things he has done, that it forces Republicans to defend him, where they would normally not.
            At least two members on staff, brum[1] and CV, have made it clear that they are anything but supporters (especially CV[2]) but find themselves forced to defend him due to the excessively hyperbolic and over-the-top antics by his detractors.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            At this point I'm beginning to change my mind about Trump due to the insane reactions he's getting which are very often over nothing, or outright lies about him.
            2. does CV have an official smiley? Does he want one?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In New York, we will not waver and will not back down. To Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and all survivors of sexual assault, we believe you and we will fight for you.

Governor Cuomo following Kavanaugh's confirmation.
              Yeah and Biden proclaimed that we should "Believe all Women" wrt to Ford concerning Kavanaugh but that got summarily tossed onto the scrap heap when Tara Reade (along with seven other women) leveled complaints against him.

Ironically, even though as Wikipedia notes, the slogan arose out of the now abandoned #MeToo movement, the New York Times published an opinion piece now declaring that 'Believe All Women' Is a Right-Wing Trap

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Ordinary average guys typically don't have Wikipedia entries. But I have friends who have Wikipedia entries (authors, musicians, scientists...), but that hardly makes them serious presidential contenders.
                (That one was a joke, may have been a little too subtle)
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

At least two members on staff, brum[1] and CV, have made it clear that they are anything but supporters (especially CV[2]) but find themselves forced to defend him due to the excessively hyperbolic and over-the-top antics by his detractors.

2. does CV have an official smiley? Does he want one?

Brum does. Dont think CV does.

Comment

On a personal level, the notion of feeling compelled to defend somebody because of the reactions of others makes no logical sense to me. I don't see what's difficult about assessing somebody's actions in a vacuum, like an umpire calling balls and strikes. But I see where other people have the issue. The most obvious example that comes to mind is when Westboro Baptist Church went before the Supreme Court in a free speech case. This group does tremendous damage to Christianity and it goes without saying I wish they would stay quiet, but from a Constitutional perspective, that they were in the right was quite obvious. That so many were disappointed in the decision seems to betray a lack of an ability to look at it objectively.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      On a personal level, the notion of feeling compelled to defend somebody because of the reactions of others makes no logical sense to me. I don't see what's difficult about assessing somebody's actions in a vacuum, like an umpire calling balls and strikes. But I see where other people have the issue. The most obvious example that comes to mind is when Westboro Baptist Church went before the Supreme Court in a free speech case. This group does tremendous damage to Christianity and it goes without saying I wish they would stay quiet, but from a Constitutional perspective, that they were in the right was quite obvious. That so many were disappointed in the decision seems to betray a lack of an ability to look at it objectively.
                      I think it depends on degree and circumstances. If you see someone you just don't like being ganged up unfairly I think most decent folks might try to stop it. OTOH, if you see someone just caught committing a heinous act being ganged up on you might not lift a finger in their defense unless it goes too far.

Comment

I think it depends on degree and circumstances. If you see someone you just don't like being ganged up unfairly I think most decent folks might try to stop it. OTOH, if you see someone just caught committing a heinous act being ganged up on you might not lift a finger in their defense unless it goes too far.
                        Well I don't like Trump personally, but he was the President and I did feel he was trying most of the time. But when people constantly accuse him of lies he never told, or doing things he didn't do, I just don't like it. I will step in and correct them. But there are plenty of things I think Trump DID do that he shouldn't have. I do believe he unnecessarily riled up the crowd and he should have long ago just stopped his whole "stop the steal" nonsense. He lost in court. That's it for now. Try again in 4 years. Also his turning on McConnell and Pence when they didn't jump at his command. That was wrong. But in no way did he incite the riot and it was NOT an insurrection. Those were exaggerations and lies. So I will defend him on that.

I will also defend Biden or other Democrats when I think they are being unfairly treated. In the thread about Biden being racist about blacks on the internet, I said I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He meant that because they are poor or rural they might not have access to the internet. He just worded it wrong and made it sound racist. People took words Trump said in the worst possible way also, and I didn't like that, so I am willing to NOT do that to Biden.
                        Last edited by Sparko; 02-25-2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Well, there's now a second accuser, the NY AG is calling for an investigation (regretfully the NY ethics laws are a joke so I'm not expecting much from an investigation), and Cuomo has disappeared. Maybe this isn't be covered much on CNN but the local and NY media is covering it.

I've been reluctant to think his political career is over but I'm beginning to come to the view that it is.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

This is snowballing. I'm still thinking Cuomo is done.
                            I called it!

Comment

I'm just afraid that when Cuomo is ousted and the AG James is sworn in as governor (yes, I know we may have a couple years of a seat holder in the former of the current Lt. Gov.), I'll be looking back at the Cuomo administration as the good old days.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                                I'm just afraid that when Cuomo is ousted and the AG James is sworn in as governor (yes, I know we may have a couple years of a seat holder in the former of the current Lt. Gov.), I'll be looking back at the Cuomo administration as the good old days.
                                That happens all to often.

Comment