Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Entire School Board Resign After Accidentally Airing Conversation Disparaging Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entire School Board Resign After Accidentally Airing Conversation Disparaging Parents

Gotta love it. If this is what the school boards and school unions really think about you - what do you think they say and think about your kids behind the scenes? Luckily, these dopes managed to accidentally start broadcasting several minutes before an online public 'meeting' was supposed to happen, and at least one person who was there early online caught the entire thing on camera, showing them disparage parents in various ways.

The comments suddenly cut off when one of them realizes that they are broadcasting already, and several react in disbelief when she says so. At the end of the public meeting one of the members tries a faux apology, saying 'tearfully' (i.e. upset they got caught) that it was a private conversation about their frustrations over the letters and feedback they have been getting over their refusal to bring back in-person learning.

Parents quickly started calling for their resignation (including an online petition), and within days, the entire Oakley school board had resigned.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/02/...ublic-meeting/

It started with profanity, jokes about parents just wanting a babysitter or to smoke pot in their homes, and then came the horrible realization by the elected officials making these remarks that they were on a live video stream being broadcast to the public.

And now, the three-day saga that has garnered national attention and widespread condemnation has resulted in the resignation of the entire Oakley Union Elementary School District Board, according to a letter Friday from the district’s superintendent, Greg Hetrick. He wrote that county education board members will replace the board in an interim capacity.

“We deeply regret the earlier comments that were made in the meeting of the Board of Education earlier this week,” a joint statement by now ex-board members Kim Beede, Erica Ippolito and Richie Masadas says. “As trustees, we realize it is our responsibility to model the conduct that we expect of our students and staff, and it is our obligation to build confidence in district leadership; our comments failed you in both regards, and for this we offer our sincerest apology.”

Beede, Ippolito and Masadas join board president Lisa Brizendine, who announced her resignation late Thursday.

The shocking Friday evening announcement is the culmination of a controversy that began with a hot mic moment at the board’s Wednesday evening meeting. Trustees were awaiting the start of the meeting when they began discussing parents’ letters and social media posts about reopening schools.

“It’s easy to hide behind a screen but when you’re face to face with people it’s a whole different ball game,” Masadas said.

Beede then defended herself against a parent who chided her on social media for going to a party during the coronavirus pandemic after declaring it wasn’t safe to return to school.

“I wasn’t doing anything bad — I honestly don’t care about that part — but are we alone?” she asked the other trustees. “B—-, ..If you call me out, I’m going to f—you up.”

“Sorry, that’s just me,” Beede added.

After some laughter, Brizendine chimed in to commiserate with others about the growing criticism they’ve faced over closed schools, suggesting parents really want schools to reopen so they get their babysitters back.

“They forget that there’s real people behind those letters they are writing,” she said. “We are real community members, we have kids or have known kids who have gone to those schools, so we have a vested interest in this process and they don’t know what goes on behind the scene, and it’s unfortunate they want to pick on us because they want their babysitters back.”

Masadas suggested parents wanted their free time for other reasons.

“My brother had a delivery service for medical marijuana. The high clientele were the parents with their kids at school. When you have your kids at home, no more (inaudible),” Masadas said, clasping his hands on his forehead as others chuckled in the background.

The live video of the meeting also captured the moment when trustees realized that their remarks were being broadcast to the public.

The remarks were met with swift, widespread condemnation, calls for the board’s resignation — including from Oakley’s mayor — and coast-to-coast coverage. A petition calling for the board to resign quickly garnered thousands of signatures.

Hetrick said in the letter he will update parents in coming days about the “next steps” for the district’s future.

“As a district, we will continue to proceed with the work that we are engaged in to bring our students back to school,” he said. “There will be a lot of details in the coming days about what will be taking place and I will be providing you with a complete update.”

Contra Costa County Board of Education President Annette Lewis appointed herself and fellow county board member Mike Maxwell as interim OUESD trustees, according to a news release by the county education superintendent.

“I look forward to working with the OUESD community to determine the best course of action to fill these seats with people who will represent the best interests of students, families, teachers and school staff,” Lewis said in a written statement released Friday.
    And look, I get being frustrated, and talking together about frustrations with your colleagues but:
    1. make sure you're not airing it to the entire internet and,
    2. start doing your damn jobs and stop disparaging parents who want the best for their children and don't want their kids' educations to continue to suffer due to senseless policies of preventing in-person learning which fly in the face of science.

Whenever you are around technology, assume you are being recorded and broadcasted. I don't use Alexa et al. and never will.

I do agree though that teachers should have been a higher priority for the COVID vaccine if they had wanted it.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Hot mics will get you every time

This is really nothing new. Back when I was in school (in the days when the blackboard was a cave wall), teachers typically viewed parents as interfering.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Don't you love it, though, when liberals accidentally tell the TRUTH?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When my oldest daughter was a freshman in High School, she told me she was failing algebra because the teacher never kept control of the class.

I went up to the school at the designated hour to find that classroom and prove that my daughter was 'telling a big' un".

As I stood in the hall outside the classroom, it sounded like a small riot inside, and I peeked in the door to see the teacher STANDING ON HER DESK yelling at the students to stop throwing things about the room. I was stunned.

I went to the principal's office to complain, and was told by the assistant principal, and I quote "WE are professional educators, you are just a parent, so we...."

I didn't let her finish the sentence - I said "I'm leaving now before you smash your face all over my fist". I haven't been that angry in AGES.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did you notice in the video, the NBC babblers identify with the schoolboard members and not the parents?

Peter Alexander: "I feel like in this era of Zoom calls ... now more than ever, that's like the worst nightmare of so many people - like before someone joins or even after the call and you didn't hang up, or didn't mute."

The two women agreed with him.

So where parents and children are mocked and belittled, they feel the pain of the board members. Figures. These MSM dingbats are so insulated that they'll expose themselves like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              Did you notice in the video, the NBC babblers identify with the schoolboard members and not the parents?

Peter Alexander: "I feel like in this era of Zoom calls ... now more than ever, that's like the worst nightmare of so many people - like before someone joins or even after the call and you didn't hang up, or didn't mute."

The two women agreed with him.

So where parents and children are mocked and belittled, they feel the pain of the board members. Figures. These MSM dingbats are so insulated that they'll expose themselves like this.
              Yep. The board members and the press are more upset that these folks got caught, than about what they were saying about parents concerned about their kids' educations.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Whenever you are around technology, assume you are being recorded and broadcasted. I don't use Alexa et al. and never will.

I do agree though that teachers should have been a higher priority for the COVID vaccine if they had wanted it.
                Yep... it's the old broadcasting rule: assume that anything you say in front of a microphone can and will be broadcast to the world.

And then there was that tearful non-apology at the end. "We just want what's best for the children!" And that's why you spent several minutes insulting them and their parents when you thought they wouldn't hear you, is it?
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-22-2021, 01:53 PM.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yep... it's the old broadcasting rule: assume that anything you say in front of a microphone can and will be broadcast to the world.

And then there was that tearful non-apology at the end. "We just want what's best for the children!" And that's why you spent several minutes insulting their parents when you thought they wouldn't hear you, is it?
                  If they really wanted what's best for the children, they'd go after the !#$Q!@$&##%^%@# Teachers Unions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

If they really wanted what's best for the children, they'd go after the !#$Q!@$&##%^%@# Teachers Unions.
                    Teachers unions want what is best for teachers unions. That's why they talk about the dangers of attending school while posting pictures of themselves on Caribbean vacations. They have it made. In what other profession can you receive full pay and benefits while refusing to do your job?

Comment

Teachers unions want what is best for teachers unions. That's why they talk about the dangers of attending school while posting pictures of themselves on Caribbean vacations. They have it made. In what other profession can you receive full pay and benefits while refusing to do your job?
                      AND get cover from the POTUS.

Comment

babylon-bee-democrats-follow-science-union-donates-most.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As China Joe so eloquently put it, "We choose truth over facts."

Comment

And another school board is caught pulling the "Stupid Hot Mic" stunt...

It happened again. Granted, this example has a dash more of woke salt in it, but it’s still another school board that’s about to deal with a mic fiasco. It’s also a boomer moment as these clowns didn’t know that their video call was being broadcast publicly. Chardá Bell-Fontenot, the vice president of the La Mesa-Spring Valley School Board outside of San Diego, said that reopening schools was akin to slavery and an exercise in white supremacy. The Daily Caller’s Jorge Ventura has the clips and notes that Ms. Bell-Fontenot seems unaware that everything she is saying could be viewed by the general public.

Screenshot_20210225_165520.jpg

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...emacy-n2585340

That last comment about "we would know if our meetings were recorded" is incredibly ignorant. While the Zoom host can control whether or not the meeting is recorded in Zoom, that does nothing to stop someone from using external software or hardware to record it themselves.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-25-2021, 04:00 PM.

Comment

And another school board is caught pulling the "Stupid Hot Mic" stunt...

It happened again. Granted, this example has a dash more of woke salt in it, but it’s still another school board that’s about to deal with a mic fiasco. It’s also a boomer moment as these clowns didn’t know that their video call was being broadcast publicly. Chardá Bell-Fontenot, the vice president of the La Mesa-Spring Valley School Board outside of San Diego, said that reopening schools was akin to slavery and an exercise in white supremacy. The Daily Caller’s Jorge Ventura has the clips and notes that Ms. Bell-Fontenot seems unaware that everything she is saying could be viewed by the general public.

Screenshot_20210225_165520.jpg

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...emacy-n2585340

That last comment about "we would know if our meetings were recorded" is incredibly ignorant. While the Zoom host can control whether or not the meeting is recorded in Zoom, that does nothing to stop someone from using external software or hardware to record it themselves.
                              She apparently never heard of a phone with a camera before.

Comment