Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Slavery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slavery

We here discussed this the other day in the light of Colin Kaepernick’s refusal to stand for the national anthem. Some Trump supporter made a stupid remark about Great Britain introducing slavery while the US ended it.

The abolitionist movement gathered strength following the Zong massacre in 1781 when 133 ‘cargo’ were thrown overboard to preserve potable water supplies onboard. When insurers refused to compensate the ship's owners the legal proceedings had to consider whether slaves were cargo or human beings.

‘No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,’ - The Star Spangled Banner –

refers to black slaves hired to fight on the side of the British during the War of 1812. They were promised their freedom in return for military service.

After the U.S. and the British signed a peace treaty at the end of 1814, the U.S. government demanded the return of American “property,” which by that point numbered about 6,000 people. The British refused. Most of the 6,000 eventually settled in Canada.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Okay...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

You must have a point, ff.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I think his point was that there was a dumb Trump supporter who didn't know his history.

I didn't know the stuff he mentioned here. It sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I think his point was that there was a dumb Trump supporter who didn't know his history.

I didn't know the stuff he mentioned here. It sounds interesting.
            And? I mean, so what? There must be a few hundred thousand of those for each candidate.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Since you ask I don’t mind making a point although it is probably well enough known that lots of people such as news reporters (who sensationalise most things), politicians and preachers are usually trying to sell you something and they tend not to let the facts get in the way of a good story, so we, the punters, have to keep our wits about us and do our own fact checking whenever we can, for the sake of our own sanity if nothing else. As an example we might think about the origins of Generation Snowflake currently being talked about – it’s all our fault, of course.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment