Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Energy Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post

So you admit renewable energy makes sense and should be regulated in a climate where extreme cold is, in fact, precedented as recently as 2011?
    What is this, an inquisition? I think "renewable" energy should be used where it makes sense, and is actually practical.

Did somebody pee on your foot and you're just looking to start fights? And, yes, I stopped beating my wife*.

*Sometimes, she actually beats me in Scrabble, but only because I let her or she won't play.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

What is this, an inquisition? I think "renewable" energy should be used where it makes sense, and is actually practical.
      Well since the sun emits photons everywhere and wind blows everywhere...

Did somebody pee on your foot and you're just looking to start fights? And, yes, I stopped beating my wife*.

*Sometimes, she actually beats me in Scrabble, but only because I let her or she won't play.[/SIZE]
      I confess I'm feeling more combative than normal this morning. =)

Comment

Well since the sun emits photons everywhere and wind blows everywhere...
        The earth does not always receive the sun's photons - either blocked by clouds or the earth itself.
        The wind doesn't always blow.

I confess I'm feeling more combative than normal this morning. =)
        It's OK - I'm snowbound, so willing to play this game.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The earth does not always receive the sun's photons - either blocked by clouds or the earth itself.
          Depends on where you are. Offshore is pretty much constant, especially in the 500 to 1000 foot altitude where the larger wind turbine blades turn.

Likewise the Nevada desert to name one. And, a cloudy sky is not a photonless sky. Output is down, but not out. large scale Storage systems are what help as well.

It really is a matter of designing the systems to be robust and tolerant of local weather changes over the course of the year.

Can we go 100% renewable? Not sure about that.

But I tend to think this discussion is actually more about the disagreements that exist wrt AGW and the relative danger it poses.

But there is another vector for positive debate - energy independence. Solar/Wind/Hydro(Nuclear?) - that is produced here, on our land, and is under our control. OPEC, Russia, China can't cut us off without war on our soil. And the resource that exists is always there, it won't run out in 10 years, or 100, or 1000 (not second by second but week by week, month by month, year by year).
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Depends on where you are. Offshore is pretty much constant, especially in the 500 to 1000 foot altitude where the larger wind turbine blades turn.

Likewise the Nevada desert to name one. And, a cloudy sky is not a photonless sky. Output is down, but not out. large scale Storage systems are what help as well.

It really is a matter of designing the systems to be robust and tolerant of local weather changes over the course of the year.

Can we go 100% renewable? Not sure about that.

But I tend to think this discussion is actually more about the disagreements that exist wrt AGW and the relative danger it poses.

But there is another vector for positive debate - energy independence. Solar/Wind/Hydro(Nuclear?) - that is produced here, on our land, and is under our control. OPEC, Russia, China can't cut us off without war on our soil. And the resource that exists is always there, it won't run out in 10 years, or 100, or 1000 (not second by second but week by week, month by month, year by year).
            Actually, the thread is about my friend whag attacking my other friend Ted Cruz....

Ted Cruz has acknowledged he has no defense for goofing on California’s energy blackouts during its raging wildfire season:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ted-...s-storm-2021-2
            Cruz should be commended for not giving a whimpy "politician" answer.

If I didn't believe in solar power, for example, it'd be rather hypocritical of me to use it for my outdoor gate openers and my entire shop.

Comment

The earth always receives the sun's photons. All stars emit photons continually and that light penetrates clouds. More light increases the energy conversion, of course, but solar still gathers energy even on cloudy days.

How do Photovoltaics Work?

Photovoltaics is the direct conversion of light into electricity at the atomic level. Some materials exhibit a property known as the photoelectric effect that causes them to absorb photons of light and release electrons. When these free electrons are captured, an electric current results that can be used as electricity.
              The UK, which is notoriously overcast, somehow manages to get energy from solar:
              UK solar PV installed capacity at the end of 2017 was 12.8 GW, representing a 3.4% share of total electricity generation.[16] Provisionally, as of the end of January 2019 there was a total of 13,123 MW installed UK solar capacity across 979,983 installations. This is an increase of 323 MW in slightly more than a year.[27] The all-time peak generation from photovoltaics was 9.55 GW on 14 May 2019.[28]
              Dumb objection. Fossil fuels are never easy to reach, hence the need for supplemental energy.

This argument was settled long ago, since the there is a consensus that sole reliance on fossil fuels isn't sustainable, while wind and photons are inexhaustible forms of energy.

It's OK - I'm snowbound, so willing to play this game.
              Good! Note that you can see the snow. That means the photons are somehow making their way through the clouds.

Comment

Actually, the thread is about my friend whag attacking my other friend Ted Cruz....
                True. And it is also true that the statement I commented on is about the reliability of wind and solar power
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The earth always receives the sun's photons. All stars emit photons continually and that light penetrates clouds. More light increases the energy conversion, of course, but solar still gathers energy even on cloudy days.

How do Photovoltaics Work?

The UK, which is notoriously overcast, somehow manages to get energy from solar:

Dumb objection. Fossil fuels are never easy to reach, hence the need for supplemental energy.

This argument was settled long ago, since the there is a consensus that sole reliance on fossil fuels isn't sustainable, while wind and photons are inexhaustible forms of energy.

Good! Note that you can see the snow. That means the photons are somehow making their way through the clouds.
                  Come on, get it all out! Maybe two or three more rants?

Your thread was a childish attack piece on Ted Cruz, not the science of light.

Comment

Come on, get it all out! Maybe two or three more rants?

Your thread was a childish attack piece on Ted Cruz, not the science of light.
                    That's a handwave. This thread is about Cruz, Texas energy crisis, and GOP attitudes toward renewable energy, regulations.

Comment

That's a handwave.
                      Did you wave back?

This thread is about Cruz, Texas energy crisis, and GOP attitudes toward renewable energy, regulations.
                      As I said - it is bitterly cold in Texas for a sustained period of time - nobody saw this coming - California is California.

Comment

Ted Cruz has found a solution to the Texas power problem. He's decided to fly to Cancun for a holiday.

"There's an old Texas saying: When the going gets tough, the tough go to Cancun. (No, there actually is no such saying)." - Dan Rather
                        Last edited by Reepicheep; 02-18-2021, 12:29 PM.
                        "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                        "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

I am trying to figure out how to harness the energy of my doggie. He can run back and forth across the house for half an hour and not get tired. And he only eats 1 cup of dog food a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                            Ted Cruz has found a solution to the Texas power problem. He's decided to fly to Cancun for a holiday.

"There's an old Texas saying: When the going gets tough, the tough go to Cancun. (No, there actually is no such saying)." - Dan Rather
                            I get that the optics are poor, but realistically, what is he going to do about it? He is not a state level leader, and the Senate is not in session. I don't see the point of this outrage.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Did you wave back?

As I said - it is bitterly cold in Texas for a sustained period of time - nobody saw this coming - California is California.
                              Texas has been very cold before, as I showed you. The purpose of winterization is to build resilience into infrastructure and equipment for a range of tolerances beyond the normal stresses of a particular climate.

At this point, you've done so much handwaving, I don't even know what our argument is. Could you enlighten me on what we're disagreeing on and what your ideas for reforming this situation are?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                I get that the optics are poor, but realistically, what is he going to do about it? He is not a state level leader, and the Senate is not in session. I don't see the point of this outrage.
                                "Just because Cruz can't fix the immediate problem facing Texans doesn't mean he shouldn't be there -- helping out at warming shelters or handing out food and water to people in crisis. Because that would show that he cares about his constituents, that he is willing to do any and everything to make this situation even a little bit better.

At the root of serving in elected office is representing the needs of the people who voted you in. Serving their needs doesn't always mean casting the right vote for them or giving a speech on the Senate floor that you believe to be in their interests. It means lending a hand or an ear when they are struggling. And it very much does not mean flying to Cancun with your family for a vacation."

Chris Cillizza
                                "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                                "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment