Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Energy Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The "renewable energy" failed, too. What good is having MORE of something that doesn't work in a hard freeze or blizzard conditions?
    You really don't know the story here, do you?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottca...h=3a4b937a1f59

The answer, in short, is that turbines in colder places are typically equipped with de-icing and other tools, such as built-in heating. In Texas, where the weather is almost never this cold, they usually are not.

“Cold weather kits can keep [wind turbines] operating when temperatures plunge. This is the norm in colder states and in Europe,” said Samuel Brock, a spokesman for the American Clean Power Association. “Historically in Texas, given the warm climate, it hasn’t been necessary.”

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

You really don't know the story here, do you?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottca...h=3a4b937a1f59
      I DO know the story -- we don't have this kind of weather in Texas --- you started this as a hit piece on Ted Cruz, and now you're trying to change course.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One of the biggest problems is that the Texas Legislature has failed to MANDATE hardening of ERCOT --- they've made suggestions, but have failed to take into account how vulnerable the grid actually is.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I DO know the story -- we don't have this kind of weather in Texas --- you started this as a hit piece on Ted Cruz, and now you're trying to change course.
          1. I hit Cruz because it's what you'd do if the situation was inverse. I make no apologies for that. I did not change course but addressed a key part of the story.

2. "we don't have this kind of weather in Texas" is hooey. Texas has been cold before in our lifetimes, and definitely cold enough to justify proper configuration and maintenance of wind power equipment when the weatherman tells you it's gonna be really cold.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/san...1989-cold-wave

And of course none of this excuses the right's disparagement of renewable energy.

Comment

One of the biggest problems is that the Texas Legislature has failed to MANDATE hardening of ERCOT --- they've made suggestions, but have failed to take into account how vulnerable the grid actually is.
            Is that a reference to regulation?

Comment

Is that a reference to regulation?
              Yes. Yes, it is.

I'm not against all regulation - but certainly against overregulation.

Comment

1. I hit Cruz because it's what you'd do if the situation was inverse.
                Well, first of all, I'm extremely flattered you'd want to be me. Thank you very much.

Second - no, I wouldn't. Not the same circumstances. This is an incredibly unique situation that nobody saw coming.

California is... well... California.

Comment

The "renewable energy" failed, too. What good is having MORE of something that doesn't work in a hard freeze or blizzard conditions?
                  Actually, the wind farms worked better than expected under these conditions. Texas does not put heaters into its wind turbine blades, so they do NOT have good mitigations in place for this sort of weather. They were counting on Natural Gas to make up the expected difference, and that is what failed. So while they are guilty of not building tolerance for this sort of event into the power system across all forms of power genereration, the wind turbines actually exceeded expectations in spite of that fact. And so there really is no legitimate criticism to be made of the wind farms themselves. The problem was on the Natural Gas side of the house, and the fact this is such an extreme event they did not design for it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02...s-power-storm/

Source: above

Woodfin said Tuesday that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, are offline and that 30 gigawatts of thermal sources, which include gas, coal and nuclear energy, are offline.

It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” Woodfin said during a Tuesday call with reporters.

The systems that get gas from the earth aren’t properly built for cold weather. Operators in West Texas’ Permian Basin, one of the most productive oil fields in the world, are particularly struggling to bring natural gas to the surface, analysts said, as cold weather and snow close wells or cause power outages that prevent pumping the fossil fuels from the ground.

© Copyright Original Source

https://fortune.com/2021/02/16/texas...wind-turbines/

Source: above

Even so, wind generation has actually exceeded the grid operator’s daily forecast through the weekend. Solar power has been slightly below forecast Monday.

“The performance of wind and solar is way down the list among the smaller factors in the disaster that we’re facing,” Daniel Cohan, associate professor of environmental engineering at Rice University, said in an interview. Blaming renewables for the blackouts “is really a red herring.”

© Copyright Original Source

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yes. Yes, it is.

I'm not against all regulation - but certainly against overregulation.
                    Well surprise surprise. Both of us are against underregulation and overregulation.

Is requiring the proper maintenance of turbines in the eventuality of freeze overregulation? Texas has experienced bitter cold in our lifetimes and climatologists have warned that greenhouse gases can cause extreme weather events, so let's err on the side of regulation even it seems too expensive.

Comment

Well surprise surprise. Both of us are against underregulation and overregulation.
                      Never said otherwise. Though I'm sure we define the terms differently.

Is requiring the proper maintenance of turbines in the eventuality of freeze overregulation?
                      I don't pretend to be an expert in that area, but it would make sense that reasonable precautions should be made to prevent an ERCOT meltdown again, and that's within the purview of the Texas legislature.

Texas has experienced bitter cold in our lifetimes and climatologists have warned that greenhouse gases can cause extreme weather events, so let's err on the side of regulation even it seems too expensive.
                      Well, I'm a rugged individualist, so I paid for a whole house generator because I don't depend on the government. And I bet we have different senses of what's "too expensive".

Comment

Here's non-state official Ted Cruz on California blackouts:
                        You are clearly missing the point.

Is Ted Cruz a state official? You know, someone who might have some control over and/or responsibility for the situation

A swing and a miss!

Was Trump saying that the Obamessiah was personally responsible for what was taking place or pointing out that it was taking place while he was president? Looks like the latter. It's the difference between saying crime went up during the past four years and saying you're responsible for crime going up over the past four years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Never said otherwise. Though I'm sure we define the terms differently.

I don't pretend to be an expert in that area, but it would make sense that reasonable precautions should be made to prevent an ERCOT meltdown again, and that's within the purview of the Texas legislature.

Well, I'm a rugged individualist, so I paid for a whole house generator because I don't depend on the government. And I bet we have different senses of what's "too expensive".
                          Whole house generators are very nice things. I don't have one yet, but some neighbors do and everytime we have a longer power outage and I'm out starting up my generator and connecting it to the house I wish I had one
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Whole house generators are very nice things. I don't have one yet, but some neighbors do and everytime we have a longer power outage and I'm out starting up my generator and connecting it to the house I wish I had one
                            It's amazing - today it kicked on, and we were surprised because there's supposed to be about a 10 second delay to make sure it's not just a surge or gliche --- we heard it running, then remember it's Wednesday! It comes on every Wednesday afternoon for 10 minutes just to run test. It was only a test.

There are rolling blackouts all around us, but so far our neighborhood has only had a few "beep beep" events on my computer's battery backup indicating a transient event, but then nothing happens - power stays on.

(But at least we know it will fire up even in this cold cold weather, covered with snow!)

Comment

It's amazing - today it kicked on, and we were surprised because there's supposed to be about a 10 second delay to make sure it's not just a surge or gliche --- we heard it running, then remember it's Wednesday! It comes on every Wednesday afternoon for 10 minutes just to run test. It was only a test.

There are rolling blackouts all around us, but so far our neighborhood has only had a few "beep beep" events on my computer's battery backup indicating a transient event, but then nothing happens - power stays on.

(But at least we know it will fire up even in this cold cold weather, covered with snow!)
                              Do you have like a 300 gallon propane tank for it? One of my neighbors has it buried, the other its above ground.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Is Cruz now a state official?

This is as moronic as someone blaming the Obamessiah personally for all the shootings that keep taking place in Chicago while he occupied the White House
                                Good point.

Comment