Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tesla CEO says electric cars will double global electricity demand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

what happened in 2011?
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ge-causes-2011

Comment

OK. wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It has to do with the problem after 2011 where they decided to spend a boatload of money to harden their system.
        It also has to do with the fact that they were able to draw power from nearby states.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
          It also has to do with the fact that they were able to draw power from nearby states.
          Yes, as I keep saying - they were not part of ERCOT.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, as I keep saying - they were not part of ERCOT.
            It looks like the isolation of Texas' power predates ERCOT.

I see ERCOT's biggest problem as a failure of the free market. ERCOT was managing a bunch of different power suppliers, but letting them decide for themselves how much to spend on weatherproofing their facilities. Any who decided to put a lot of money into it would be at a competitive disadvantage, and would have been run out of business.

This allowed ERCOT to provide power at a nice low rate, but with a great deal of risk. The obvious solution would be regulations requiring all providers to weatherproof their facilities, but regulations aren't very popular in Texas.

Comment

I see ERCOT's biggest problem as a failure of the free market. ERCOT was managing a bunch of different power suppliers, but letting them decide for themselves how much to spend on weatherproofing their facilities. Any who decided to put a lot of money into it would be at a competitive disadvantage, and would have been run out of business.

This allowed ERCOT to provide power at a nice low rate, but with a great deal of risk. The obvious solution would be regulations requiring all providers to weatherproof their facilities, but regulations aren't very popular in Texas.
              Nothing there with which I wish to argue.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nothing there with which I wish to argue.

Comment

I agree. I am not for overly big government that brings visions of "Big Brother" to mind, nor am I for unregulated free market capitalism - and this Texas power crises is a really good example of why. Our history is full of examples where the rich and powerful abused those that worked for them or those that used their products causing pain and injury. Government regulation - especially of things like the power grid and the environmental impact of various manufacturing processes is a very good thing. Because there is nothing else that will convince the owner of a business given over to a love of power and money to do the right thing.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment