Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Reflect On Your Whiteness...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    They are fueling the growth of private, parochial and charter schools.
    Segregated schools, right? And they are insisting on taxpayer funding, right?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Which is...
      People be honest with themselves about the racism that exists and working together to change the circumstances. That involves things like taking steps to lesson or remove income disparities, law enforcement disparities and educational disparities. There also needs to be a recognition that higher crime in minority neighborhoods can't be excused because these inequities exist and that even when all things are equal, individuals are still responsible for their own destinies.

There is no way to get away from the fact that the power to create real change still lies mostly in white hands. But pretending it is ALL in white hands ( or ALL in black hands) is not the solution, neither is demonizing one side or the other. That sort of thinking on either side (which is what this op boils down to) just makes things worse.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post
        Segregated schools, right?
        You're earning quite the reputation for being particularly ignorant.

And they are insisting on taxpayer funding, right?
        I am pushing for vouchers mainly for minorities, who happen to favor them by quite a majority.

Democratic Minority Voters Overwhelmingly Favor School Choice

Seriously, stop saying stupid stuff.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

People be honest with themselves about the racism that exists and working together to change the circumstances. That involves things like taking steps to lesson or remove income disparities, law enforcement disparities and educational disparities. There also needs to be a recognition that higher crime in minority neighborhoods can't be excused because these inequities exist and that even when all things are equal, individuals are still responsible for their own destinies.

There is no way to get away from the fact that the power to create real change still lies mostly in white hands. But pretending it is ALL in white hands ( or ALL in black hands) is not the solution, neither is demonizing one side or the other. That sort of thinking on either side (which is what this op boils down to) just makes things worse.
          All reasonable. We agree on something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

All reasonable. We agree on something.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post
              Segregated schools, right? And they are insisting on taxpayer funding, right?
              Wrt to charter schools, according to the U.S. government

When announcing your charter school or conducting outreach, you may not discriminate against students of a particular race, color, or national origin, or against students with disabilities. If your charter school is co-educational, then you may not discriminate in recruitment on the basis of sex

And that brings up the point that public schools, which are tax-payer supported, can segregate by sex: These top-flight all-girls public schools are proving the value of single-sex education.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I can certainly agree with this, however, we are living in a time where whites are largely told to sit down and shut up when it comes to discussions on race and then get lectured to and harangued often being told how evil they are for being white.

Recently I posted this

As Martin Luther King Jr's famous quote put it

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

This view has largely been repudiated by many on the left today as seen by star's posts in this thread (and those who amen them). Special consideration for one racial or ethnic group is a rejection of it. Demands for revenge is a betrayal of that dream.

As long as we have those who reject MLK's ideals and get applauded for doing so, progress won't just be difficult, but all but impossible.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I can certainly agree with this, however, we are living in a time where whites are largely told to sit down and shut up when it comes to discussions on race and then get lectured to and harangued often being told how evil they are for being white.

Recently I posted this

As long as we have those who reject MLK's ideals and get applauded for doing so, progress won't just be difficult, but all but impossible.
                  A couple of questions.

1) starting from a state where the consequences of overt racism are significant financial and educational differences, not just in the current population but in the facilities and institutions training the next, what mechanism do you propose to eliminate those disparities that does not involve some application of a temporary compensatory bias? ( keep in mind the asymptotic nature of incremental improvement )

2) given the entrenched nature of people still holding on to a closeted overt racism, what mechanism do you propose to prevent that ostensibly hidden bias from 'leaking out' and countermanding 1 above?

Comment

A couple of questions.

1) starting from a state where the consequences of overt racism are significant financial and educational differences, not just in the current population but in the facilities and institutions training the next, what mechanism do you propose to eliminate those disparities that does not involve some application of a temporary compensatory bias? ( keep in mind the asymptotic nature of incremental improvement )

2) given the entrenched nature of people still holding on to a closeted overt racism, what mechanism do you propose to prevent that ostensibly hidden bias from 'leaking out' and countermanding 1 above?
                    My counter question. Do you think we should be telling people that they should seek to dismantel "blackness" and keep it from reasserting itself?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

My counter question. Do you think we should be telling people that they should seek to dismantel "blackness" and keep it from reasserting itself?
                      I already posted my disagreement with that approach on either side:

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...91#post1239691

Comment

Dogs have been bred to the point that various breeds have entirely different behavioral patterns. Nothing even comes close to that with humans.
                        Dogs have been bred to the point that their very existence is threatened - their ability to breathe, to survive.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Dogs have been bred to the point that their very existence is threatened - their ability to breathe, to survive.
                          It has been noted many times that if humanity were to vanish and all dogs were to be set out into the wild that most would die quickly. There is a reason that all wild dogs the world over tend to look about the same -- and they don't look anything like Bulldogs, Great Danes or Greyhounds or most other recognizable breeds.

Comment

It has been noted many times that if humanity were to vanish and all dogs were to be set out into the wild that most would die quickly. There is a reason that all wild dogs the world over tend to look about the same -- and they don't look anything like Bulldogs, Great Danes or Greyhounds or most other recognizable breeds.
                            Which is one of the main reasons we chose to adopt a 'rescue dog' who was in good health and no pedigree.

And Jake seems to be eternally grateful!

Jake walk sunset.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I can show you a selection of pictures and you would be able to tell me what race each person most likely belongs to with a high degree of certainty. So to deny that is biological is nonsense. Biology/genetics is what creates the differences we use to make racial distinctions. Nobody is claiming it is a huge genetic diversity, but very small genetic differences can make a large real world difference. I have read that we have like 90% genetic similarity with a banana. So having 99.9999% similarity with other races doesn't mean that biological differences don't exist.
                              Would I? Would I really? My wife is born to the Ute tribe, and quite regularly gets mistaken as 'Asian'
                              (of various types). I'm of Indian descent, and regularly get mistaken as 'african american/black'.

Race simply isn't a biologically valid concept.

Comment

closeted overt racism

Comment