Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund The Police? Minneapolis to spend $6.4M to recruit more police officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We need to be as faithful to our Lord as you are at following up my "shocked" comments.
    Dangblast it! It really has become a dadgum Pavlovian knee-jerk response

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Dangblast it! It really has become a dadgum Pavlovian knee-jerk response
      I'm shocked!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I'm shocked!
        It'll be interesting to see if that works for you.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if that works for you.
          The knee did twitch just a bit.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            The knee did twitch just a bit.
            Cow Poke is shocked!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Cow Poke is shocked!
              Somehow I stumbled onto this. It's a parody of the Beatles.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                  I just can't stop laughing.

Their 'defund the police' policy the council pushed this summer seems to have been abandoned and replaced with "give us more police" when the reduction in force size (people quitting over the council's behavior and policies and the riots this summer) appears to have backfired. Residents have complained quite vocally to the city of slower response times and increase in crime that... surprise surprise... came as less officers (and less monies to pay them) were available. Now who coulda predicted that one!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...icers-75875382
                  And would you look at that, after cutting their police budget by 150 million, Los Angeles County is now increasing funding by 36 million after crime spiked. WHo could have predicted such a result? I suspect in the next few months they'll end up increasing even further.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angel...id-crime-spike

Comment

And would you look at that, after cutting their police budget by 150 million, Los Angeles County is now increasing funding by 36 million after crime spiked. WHo could have predicted such a result? I suspect in the next few months they'll end up increasing even further.

I predict that not only will they increase it to the same level before they cut it, but the increase will even exceed the level it was before.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I am surprised given the popularity of Monty Python in the states that you missed the joys of the Ruttles [Dirk, Barry, Ron and Stig created by Eric Idle and the now sadly departed Neil Innes] who parodied the Fab Four in this:

"It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am surprised given the popularity of Monty Python in the states that you missed the joys of the Ruttles [Dirk, Barry, Ron and Stig created by Eric Idle and the now sadly departed Neil Innes] who parodied the Fab Four in this:

Many of us are quite familiar with The Ruttles thank you. That doesn't mean that we have every joke memorized.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMD View Post

Yeah, this is a pretty obvious consequence. What we need is more/better training and more accountability, not under-funded and under-staffed police departments that can't properly do their jobs. That's just a recipe for more crime and slower emergency response times, as well as more stress on the PD which is more, not less, likely to lead to mistakes and the like.
                            I've actually read a couple longer articles on why the crime rate is going up. Basically the authors are saying we just don't know. Certainly the number of police is probably a factor but not the only one. Increasing crime probably has many causes that no one has fully figured out. I'll guess that the political environment is a factor.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

"Defunding the Police" means what the person using the expression means it to say - nothing more and nothing less.
                              When they're talking to angry mobs, it means TOTALLY defund the police.
                              When they're talking to potential voters, it means only kinda sorta defunding the police.
                              These morons actually think it's wise to send 'social workers' into domestic disturbances where police officers won't go alone because of the documented violence that befalls those who try to intervene.
                              The realist in me is wondering what's going to happen when a social worker gets killed in a situation. Everybody knows that will happen someday. We've already had one situation here where afterwards people asked why wasn't the Person in Crisis team called and the answer came back "it was known a weapon was involved.'
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

The realist in me is wondering what's going to happen when a social worker gets killed in a situation. Everybody knows that will happen someday. We've already had one situation here where afterwards people asked why wasn't the Person in Crisis team called and the answer came back "it was known a weapon was involved.'
                                I like the approach our Police Department is taking -- we used to have one person per shift who was certified in dealing with mentally ill people (Emotionally Disturbed Persons), but the Chief decided that every single officer - including himself - would be certified in this area. So far, we haven't even had any "defund the police" nonsense in our area.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment