Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nikki Haley Disavows Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I think she likely succeeded in getting the Never Trumpers among the Republicans.
    If she can get them to forget how long she supported Trump...

And then there's the question of whether Trump's supporters will forgive her.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

I do not like Haley. I think she is an opportunist and goes the way the wind blows.

I think in this case, she is right to think that in 4 years, Trump's star will have faded, although it will take longer for his rabid supporters to let go than it did for Sarah Palin's supporters. Haley is positioning herself in front of the other GOP hopefuls who will have a tough time shaking their current Trump sycophancy.
      Or so you hope.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
        People change.

Some won't - many will.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I think she'll try to position herself as someone bridging the gap.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think she'll try to position herself as someone bridging the gap.
            EGGzackly

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Prepare to be impressed.
              I get the impression you like this gal.

Comment

If the Democrats had actually made some sort of attempt at a fair trial, where they followed their own rules in the House, attempted to present a case in the Senate (offered evidence rather than relying on constantly repeating the same increasingly hysterical emotion-driven diatribes, actually called witnesses like some of the Capitol Hill police present during the riot, etc.) things would be different. Since they didn't even pretend to be trying to do any of this they exposed the truth that this was never a serious attempt at seeking answers, much less justice, but was instead nothing more than a show trial of the sort that would have made Politburo members of the old Soviet Union green with envy.
                Give me a break. The Clinton trial was fraught with revenge overtones. Kenneth Starr couldn’t nail Billary and that resulted in impeachment for you know what. There is precedent for this childish behavior. It’s just worse because the worst elements in each party now run things.

Frankly, the more I hear about Trump’s call with McCarthy, the more I could care less about rushed response and indignation over process.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Give me a break. The Clinton trial was fraught with revenge overtones. Kenneth Starr couldn’t nail Billary and that resulted in impeachment for you know what. There is precedent for this childish behavior. It’s just worse because the worst elements in each party now run things.

Frankly, the more I hear about Trump’s call with McCarthy, the more I could care less about rushed response and indignation over process.
                  The myth still disseminated by the left was that Slick Willy was prosecuted for having an affair. What a crock. He was prosecuted for lying under oath (perjury) considering a lawsuit brought against him and attempting to suborn perjury by getting Monica Lewinski to lie for him as well. While the typical defense of this is that people lie about these things the fact is they also pee and poop, but if you do that in a court of law or while giving testimony, you're going to find yourself in serious trouble. I believe at the time there were a bunch of examples being circulated of people serving lengthy prison sentences for committing perjury about having affairs

Now, if you want to cite an example of a Special Prosecutor who had actually run amok, then Patrick Fitzgerald would be the poster boy.

In spite of knowing full well that there was no White House "leak" that outed Valerie Plame as a CIA operative he ended up trying to set up perjury traps for those who broke no laws in order to justify his lengthy investigation that found no wrong doing. That's what he did to Scooter Libby. Fitzgerald set up a perjury trap for him because he needed a scalp to salvage his reputation and ended up trashing it instead. Investor's Business Daily nailed it when they wrote "From top to bottom, this has been one of the most disgraceful abuses of prosecutorial power in this country's history... The Plame case proves [Fitzgerald] can bend the truth with the proficiency of the slickest of pols."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The myth still disseminated by the left was that Slick Willy was prosecuted for having an affair. What a crock. He was prosecuted for lying under oath (perjury) considering a lawsuit brought against him and attempting to suborn perjury by getting Monica Lewinski to lie for him as well. While the typical defense of this is that people lie about these things the fact is they also pee and poop, but if you do that in a court of law or while giving testimony, you're going to find yourself in serious trouble. I believe at the time there were a bunch of examples being circulated of people serving lengthy prison sentences for committing perjury about having affairs
                    It is well known that Clinton was impeached for lying and not an affair. Speaking of “perjury traps,” Kenneth Starr, frustrated by an inability to charge Billary with anything substantive, excused himself from that pursuit to accept a position at Pepperdine which he was roundly criticized for on the right. When he was pressured to complete the investigation, still having nothing, Bill came along with a nice juicy affair. Brett Kavanaugh and future NeverTrumper George Conway—inflamed with CDS like every other Republican at the time—assisted in the Lewinsky investigation and the rest is history: the revenge impeachment.

Now, if you want to cite an example of a Special Prosecutor who had actually run amok, then Patrick Fitzgerald would be the poster boy.

In spite of knowing full well that there was no White House "leak" that outed Valerie Plame as a CIA operative he ended up trying to set up perjury traps for those who broke no laws in order to justify his lengthy investigation that found no wrong doing.
                    Oh boy....

“A perjury trap is a form of prosecutorial strategy, which is sometimes claimed to be prosecutorial misconduct in which a prosecutor calls a witness to testify, typically before a grand jury, with the intent of coercing the witness into perjury (intentional deceit under oath).”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perjury_trap

Gee, somehow that sounds familiar.....

That's what he did to Scooter Libby. Fitzgerald set up a perjury trap for him because he needed a scalp to salvage his reputation and ended up trashing it instead. Investor's Business Daily nailed it when they wrote "From top to bottom, this has been one of the most disgraceful abuses of prosecutorial power in this country's history... The Plame case proves [Fitzgerald] can bend the truth with the proficiency of the slickest of pols."
                    Mr Whataboutism strikes again, accusing others of hypocrisy while doing the same thing himself.

Comment

Mr Whataboutism strikes again, accusing others of hypocrisy while doing the same thing himself.
                      You guys really need to know what the terms mean that you ignorantly throw around.

Comment

You guys really need to know what the terms mean that you ignorantly throw around.
                        Hand waved reply, typical of one who recognizes he just engaged in whataboutism on the heels of calling others hypocrites for engaging in whataboutism.

Comment

Hand waved reply, typical of one who recognizes he just engaged in whataboutism on the heels of calling others hypocrites for engaging in whataboutism.
                          Whataboutism is ignoring something and then excusing it by saying everyone does it. I clearly did not do that. As I said you really need to know what the terms mean that you ignorantly throw around.

Comment

Whataboutism is ignoring something and then excusing it by saying everyone does it. I clearly did not do that. As I said you really need to know what the terms mean that you ignorantly throw around.
                            By that definition, neither am I excusing actions of opposite extremists. Thank you for admitting that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Or so you hope.
                              Trump's polls are declining, and as he is banned permanently from Twitter and has lost the WH bully pulpit, he is no longer on the front page, except for his second impeachment.
                              He will retain some followers, but will lose more and more as it becomes clear to them that he has no power, and as he is indicted over various serious charges that he can no longer escape.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post
                                Trump's polls are declining,
                                Cool

and as he is banned permanently from Twitter
                                For MONTHS I've been saying I wish somebody would take his Twitter account away from him.

and has lost the WH bully pulpit,
                                And Biden is using it to spread his own propaganda.

he is no longer on the front page, except for his second impeachment.
                                Is there a point here? Something we don't know?

He will retain some followers, but will lose more and more as it becomes clear to them that he has no power, and as he is indicted over various serious charges that he can no longer escape.
                                Cool.

Comment