Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nikki Haley Disavows Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikki Haley Disavows Trump

Finally, a GOP member breaks from Trump unequivocally and for the right reasons:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...e-followed-him

Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley issued stunning remarks breaking with former President Trump, telling Politico in an interview published Friday that she believes he “let us down.”

“We need to acknowledge he let us down,” Haley, who served in her ambassador role under Trump, said. “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

Haley’s remarks are her strongest yet against the former president in the aftermath of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot and come as Trump's legal team is set to present its defense of Trump on Friday in his second Senate impeachment trial.

The House impeached the former president for a second time shortly after the insurrection, saying his unsubstantiated claims of widespread voter fraud following his election loss to President Biden and his comments earlier that day incited the mob that stormed the Capitol.

The former South Carolina governor told Politico that she has not spoken with Trump since the mob attack, further expressing her disappointment with remarks he gave at a rally ahead of the assault condemning his own vice president, Mike Pence.

“When I tell you I’m angry, it’s an understatement,” Haley said. “I am so disappointed in the fact that [despite] the loyalty and friendship he had with Mike Pence, that he would do that to him. Like, I’m disgusted by it.”

Haley said that the president "believes he is following" his oath of office by challenging the election results, adding, "There’s nothing that you’re ever going to do that’s going to make him feel like he legitimately lost the election."

"He’s got a big bully pulpit. He should be responsible with it," she said.
    Bold mine. More of the GOP should have expressed disgust at what Trump did to Pence. He even made people who don't like Pence feel sorry for him, but that's not gonna help Pence's career or how Trump supporters feel about him.

Ah, she's gonna run for POTUS and is shedding the baggage! Smart girl!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Is he baggage if he has 70 million followers still loyal to him? I’m not sure.

She’s the only big GOP name and former loyalist to say Trump is disgusting and big let down, AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        She's a whole different class act, and maybe thinks she could win them over.

She’s the only big GOP name and former loyalist to say Trump is disgusting and big let down, AFAIK.
        She's a politician - and even though I like her, she's still a politician, and they'll do what's in their political interest.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think somewhere I posted a poll showing that his support has dropped by 20 points among Republicans.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I think somewhere I posted a poll showing that his support has dropped by 20 points among Republicans.
            To your point:

Even with acquittal, GOP sees trial ending Trump's shot at future office

Democratic prosecutors also presented a report that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) got into a heated exchange with Trump on Jan. 6 during a phone call in which he pleaded with the president to denounce the rioters as they stormed the Capitol.

“This reminded and confirmed and probably added deeper emotion to the view that the president’s involvement in the party, while it brought new people, it’s very damaging to who we are, what we believe and what we stand for — what we believe we stand for,” the second GOP senator said.

The senator said many constituents think “Trump is a huge problem for Republicans,” while acknowledging there are many GOP voters who think the former president has been “railroaded” by the establishment.

“This is very damaging to any future political race for President Trump, but I’ve been amazed at the amount of and intensity of support despite all the other things that have happened,” the senator added.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) was the only Republican senator this week who publicly expressed the view shared by many of her GOP colleagues that Trump’s actions since losing the election have nullified his future viability as a presidential candidate.
            The impeachment is interesting, since it's roiling 100% of GOP with maybe 20% of the roiled still acknowledging--like Haley--that they'd been scammed.

Comment

To your point:

Even with acquittal, GOP sees trial ending Trump's shot at future office

The impeachment is interesting, since it's roiling 100% of GOP with maybe 20% of the roiled still acknowledging--like Haley--that they'd been scammed.
              Again, I think there are several issues coming to bear in the opposition to the impeachment, including
              • Opposition to dragging a private citizen before a kangaroo court where you have the same person who has declared that he wants a conviction acting as judge/jury/witness
              • His being charged with the exact same sort of behavior that his accusers have been engaging in for the over four years
              • The impeachment in the House violated a whole slew of rules that the House established for conducting an impeachment

Any one of these is enough for someone who loves their country to refuse to go along with this farce even if they hated Trump's guts

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Again, I think there are several issues coming to bear in the opposition to the impeachment, including
                • Opposition to dragging a private citizen before a kangaroo court where you have the same person who has declared that he wants a conviction acting as judge/jury/witness
                • His being charged with the exact same sort of behavior that his accusers have been engaging in for the over four years
                • The impeachment in the House violated a whole slew of rules that the House established for conducting an impeachment

Any one of these is enough for someone who loves their country to refuse to go along with this farce even if they hated Trump's guts
                Well I don’t know about the “loves their country” part. It fails to take into account that hypocrisy is normal DC routine and revenge politics and not reading documentation are the norm there. Cruz is a weasel. I’m not impressed by that schmaltzy far-right virtue signaling.

Comment

I'll be impressed if she can be enough against Trump to get the support of those who dislike him, while at the same time avoiding being so much against Trump that she loses the support of those who love him.

Comment

Well I don’t know about the “loves their country” part. It fails to take into account that hypocrisy is normal DC routine and revenge politics and not reading documentation are the norm there. Cruz is a weasel. I’m not impressed by that schmaltzy far-right virtue signaling.
                    If the Democrats had actually made some sort of attempt at a fair trial, where they followed their own rules in the House, attempted to present a case in the Senate (offered evidence rather than relying on constantly repeating the same increasingly hysterical emotion-driven diatribes, actually called witnesses like some of the Capitol Hill police present during the riot, etc.) things would be different. Since they didn't even pretend to be trying to do any of this they exposed the truth that this was never a serious attempt at seeking answers, much less justice, but was instead nothing more than a show trial of the sort that would have made Politburo members of the old Soviet Union green with envy.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I'll be impressed if she can be enough against Trump to get the support of those who dislike him, while at the same time avoiding being so much against Trump that she loses the support of those who love him.
                      I think she likely succeeded in getting the Never Trumpers among the Republicans.

Comment

Although I agree in regard to Pence, I'm not a fan of Haley. She's too much of a hawk.

Comment

She is done...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Prepare to be impressed.

Comment

Finally, a GOP member breaks from Trump unequivocally and for the right reasons:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...e-followed-him

Bold mine. More of the GOP should have expressed disgust at what Trump did to Pence. He even made people who don't like Pence feel sorry for him, but that's not gonna help Pence's career or how Trump supporters feel about him.
                              I do not like Haley. I think she is an opportunist and goes the way the wind blows.

I think in this case, she is right to think that in 4 years, Trump's star will have faded, although it will take longer for his rabid supporters to let go than it did for Sarah Palin's supporters. Haley is positioning herself in front of the other GOP hopefuls who will have a tough time shaking their current Trump sycophancy.

Comment