Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI at it once again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI at it once again

Oops. First we find out the leader of the Proud Boys is an FBI "informant," now we find out one of the main guys involved in the capitol incident worked for the FBI. Always the instigators. This is what they do, and no one does it as good as them.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A man who authorities say is a leader of the far-right Oath Keepers militia group and helped to organize a ring of other extremists and led them in the attack last month at the U.S. Capitol has held a top-secret security clearance for decades and previously worked for the FBI, his attorney said Monday.

Thomas Caldwell, who authorities believe holds a leadership role in the extremist group, worked as a section chief for the FBI from 2009 to 2010 after retiring from the Navy, his lawyer, Thomas Plofchan, wrote in a motion urging the judge to release him from jail while he awaits trial.

The defense said Caldwell, who has denied being part of the Oath Keepers, has held a top-secret security clearance since 1979, which required multiple special background investigations, according to Plofchan. Caldwell also ran a consulting firm that did classified work for the U.S. government, the lawyer said.

“He has been vetted and found numerous times as a person worthy of the trust and confidence of the United States government, as indicated by granting him Top Secret clearances,” Plofchan wrote.

Most section chiefs within the FBI rise through the ranks of the bureau and it is unclear whether Caldwell would’ve been directly hired for that position or whether he held any other positions with the bureau. The FBI did not immediately comment Monday evening and Caldwell’s lawyer didn’t immediately answer questions about his client’s work.

Caldwell is one of three people authorities have described as Oath Keepers who were charged last month with conspiracy and accused of plotting the attack on the Capitol in advance. He has been locked up since his arrest at his home in Berryville, Virginia, on Jan. 19.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Oops. First we find out the leader of the Proud Boys is an FBI "informant," now we find out one of the main guys involved in the capitol incident worked for the FBI. Always the instigators. This is what they do, and no one does it as good as them.

“Some of those that work forces...”

Comment

Caldwell worked for the FBI for one year, until 2010. That was 10 years ago, and does not make him FBI now, and does not support any claim that FBI agents are somehow responsible for what happened on Jan 6.

It is well known that the ranks of Trump supporters include many ex-military, and that includes the extremist groups like Proud Boys, Oath-Keepers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Caldwell worked for the FBI for one year, until 2010. That was 10 years ago, and does not make him FBI now, and does not support any claim that FBI agents are somehow responsible for what happened on Jan 6.

It is well known that the ranks of Trump supporters include many ex-military, and that includes the extremist groups like Proud Boys, Oath-Keepers, etc.
        I think Sean’s argument is that the nation’s law enforcement agencies are infiltrated with racists and white nationalists.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

I think Sean’s argument is that the nation’s law enforcement agencies are infiltrated with racists and white nationalists.
          I think they are far more political than when I worked with them in the late 70's and early 80's. Back then, you really couldn't get one of them to express political bias.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

If his past intelligence clearance with the FBI had no relevance in the present, why would his lawyer use it in a motion to have him released from jail? It sounds like it was pretty relevant to the situation at hand and thus he's using it as clout to get him released. In fact, since we know they have a history of this type of shady terrorist activity, it sounds to me like he was working as an FBI operative (or "informant" as they call them) unbeknownst to the local authorities and got unwittingly tangled up in the arrest sweeps.

Originally posted by whag View Post

Shut up.

Comment

Shut up.

I love it when it's concise.

Comment

The CIA offered me a job once. I already had a low-level security clearance because I was contracted to work at McDonnell Douglas, and MD was working on government contracts. But the job offer sucked. I would've maintained satellite equipment at an embassy somewhere - and this was right after the Teheran takeover. I asked if I could choose which embassy and the interviewer laughed. He said that was decided by seniority. SO - IOW - I would have been stationed in Libya or Syria or some other snake pit. Pay was good though, but probably difficult to spend when you're hanging by your feet from a flagpole. Imagine being identified as working for the CIA in some hostile country - even if all you're doing is grunt work.

Comment