Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chicago mayor demands, again, that teachers return to class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago mayor demands, again, that teachers return to class

It's pretty interesting when a Democrat Mayor is at odds with a Union, and expresses this much frustration publicly.

lightfoot.jpg

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot demanded Thursday that the city's teachers union reach agreement on COVID-19 safety protocols by the end of the day and bring students back to the classroom, but did not say what she would do if that doesn't happen.

Speaking during a news conference, Lightfoot was visibly angry at the Chicago Teachers Union, saying she thinks the union is giving her the runaround and is refusing to give her office and the school district officials a straight answer on its demands.

“We waited for hours and hours last night and still did not receive a proposal from the CTU leadership, and as of this morning we are still waiting," she said. “We need to get a deal done and get it done today. I expect to hear from them, no more delay.”

But while she seemed to threaten the union with some action with comments such as, “My patience with delays from the CTU leadership is over,” she declined to say what she would do if no deal was reached by day's end.

Part of the reason, is perhaps, that students do not have class Friday. That means the union and the city could continue to negotiate through the weekend. But Lightfoot made it clear she is not interested in any Sunday night negotiations, telling reporters that she has no plan to be standing in front of a podium talking about negotiations.

“If you're going to be here, you're going to be by yourself," she said.

Lightfoot said one thing the city is not going to do is sue the school district, as was done this week in San Francisco for the simple reason that while the mayor of San Francisco doesn't have any authority over the school district, in Chicago she does.

Lightfoot reiterated what she has been saying for days: It is safe for children and teachers to return to schools after Chicago Public Schools spent roughly $100 million on its safety plan, including purchasing air purifiers, deep cleaning schools and offering COVID-19 testing for teachers.

But the union, which last went on strike in 2019, says infections continue and the safest option is online learning. They also argue few students are interested in returning. Less than 20% of pre-K and special education students eligible to return to class last month, or about 3,200 of 17,000, attended.

What I have been saying pretty consistently - one of the biggest problems with public education is the Teachers Unions.
    (and, yes, I've been consistently saying the same problem exists in Police Departments)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Same story here in my city. The school board wants the kids to return and the union is resisting. Don't they know that Trump isn't president anymore?
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        Same story here in my city. The school board wants the kids to return and the union is resisting. Don't they know that Trump isn't president anymore?
        MAYBE it's finally time for liberals to wake up and realize unions may be a major problem after all.

In fact - it might actually be the unions that cause us to accept school choice!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

MAYBE it's finally time for liberals to wake up and realize unions may be a major problem after all.

In fact - it might actually be the unions that cause us to accept school choice!
          Old Joe (or his keepers) has already put tens of thousands of union members on unemployment lines and appears to be set to put tens of thousands more there, so let's see if he has the gonads to stand up to the teacher's unions and tell them to get back into the classrooms.

He claimed he'll follow what the experts/scientists advise and they (like the CDC) have been saying we need to reopen schools for awhile now, that the closures are doing immeasurable harm.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's pretty interesting when a Democrat Mayor is at odds with a Union, and expresses this much frustration publicly.

lightfoot.jpg

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot demanded Thursday that the city's teachers union reach agreement on COVID-19 safety protocols by the end of the day and bring students back to the classroom, but did not say what she would do if that doesn't happen.

Speaking during a news conference, Lightfoot was visibly angry at the Chicago Teachers Union, saying she thinks the union is giving her the runaround and is refusing to give her office and the school district officials a straight answer on its demands.

“We waited for hours and hours last night and still did not receive a proposal from the CTU leadership, and as of this morning we are still waiting," she said. “We need to get a deal done and get it done today. I expect to hear from them, no more delay.”

But while she seemed to threaten the union with some action with comments such as, “My patience with delays from the CTU leadership is over,” she declined to say what she would do if no deal was reached by day's end.

Part of the reason, is perhaps, that students do not have class Friday. That means the union and the city could continue to negotiate through the weekend. But Lightfoot made it clear she is not interested in any Sunday night negotiations, telling reporters that she has no plan to be standing in front of a podium talking about negotiations.

“If you're going to be here, you're going to be by yourself," she said.

Lightfoot said one thing the city is not going to do is sue the school district, as was done this week in San Francisco for the simple reason that while the mayor of San Francisco doesn't have any authority over the school district, in Chicago she does.

Lightfoot reiterated what she has been saying for days: It is safe for children and teachers to return to schools after Chicago Public Schools spent roughly $100 million on its safety plan, including purchasing air purifiers, deep cleaning schools and offering COVID-19 testing for teachers.

But the union, which last went on strike in 2019, says infections continue and the safest option is online learning. They also argue few students are interested in returning. Less than 20% of pre-K and special education students eligible to return to class last month, or about 3,200 of 17,000, attended.

What I have been saying pretty consistently - one of the biggest problems with public education is the Teachers Unions.
            (and, yes, I've been consistently saying the same problem exists in Police Departments)
            It's far past time that Chicago, Illinois, and the rest of the country start giving students and their parents the power to choose, with a education stipend given to them to allow them to send their kids where they want. If the teacher unions want to play games with the future of the kids, it's time for the kids and their parents to go elsewhere, and not have their taxpayer money wasted on people demaning they get to not do their jobs while vacationing in the Caribbean (yes, that's a think that happened: https://wgntv.com/news/ctu-silent-as...ng-is-unsafe/_

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

It's far past time that Chicago, Illinois, and the rest of the country start giving students and their parents the power to choose, with a education stipend given to them to allow them to send their kids where they want. If the teacher unions want to play games with the future of the kids, it's time for the kids and their parents to go elsewhere, and not have their taxpayer money wasted on people demaning they get to not do their jobs while vacationing in the Caribbean (yes, that's a think that happened: https://wgntv.com/news/ctu-silent-as...ng-is-unsafe/_
              https://web.archive.org/web/20210131...ing-is-unsafe/

This might help
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Did you see that video of that guy yelling at a school board and telling them to "raise the ____ bar!"?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Did you see that video of that guy yelling at a school board and telling them to "raise the ____ bar!"?
                  Oh, yeah - the natives are getting restless!

Comment

Apparently closed schools is one of the issues driving the recall effort for the Californication governor.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Apparently closed schools is one of the issues driving the recall effort for the Californication governor.
                      That, and his sheer hypocrisy in shutting down restaurants, but having his own parties - stuff like that.

California’s Gavin Newsom just proved himself a hypocrite and a liar

gavin-newsom-dinner-party-01-2.jpg

Comment

Old Joe (or his keepers) has already put tens of thousands of union members on unemployment lines and appears to be set to put tens of thousands more there, so let's see if he has the gonads to stand up to the teacher's unions and tell them to get back into the classrooms.

He claimed he'll follow what the experts/scientists advise and they (like the CDC) have been saying we need to reopen schools for awhile now, that the closures are doing immeasurable harm.

Comment

The problem with being a liberal is that it's so easy to trip yourself up and get caught in your own hypocrisy.

UNIONS ARE IMPORTANT! (except when it comes to science - shut down that pipeline!)
                          SCIENCE IS IMPORTANT! (except when it comes to unions - we can't mess with the teachers unions)

Comment

The problem with being a liberal is that it's so easy to trip yourself up and get caught in your own hypocrisy.

UNIONS ARE IMPORTANT! (except when it comes to science - shut down that pipeline!)
                            SCIENCE IS IMPORTANT! (except when it comes to unions - we can't mess with the teachers unions)
                            In the case of the former we're now going to rely on leaky tankers, rail cars and tanker trucks that everybody agrees is far less efficient and will pollute more. So what science was used to support shutting the pipeline down?

I mean aside from Warren Buffet making another ton of money because we'll have to use his rail cars, who benefits?

Comment

In the case of the former we're now going to rely on leaky tankers, rail cars and tanker trucks that everybody agrees is far less efficient and will pollute more. So what science was used to support shutting the pipeline down?
                              Not only that, but we'll shift back to dependence on foreign oil.

I mean aside from Warren Buffet making another ton of money because we'll have to use his rail cars, who benefits?
                              Biden is bowing to the New Green Deal crowd.

Comment