Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why has Trump not been criminally charged for his actions on the 6th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has Trump not been criminally charged for his actions on the 6th?

If this was a planned insurrection, and trump is responsible for it, why has he not been criminally charged?

He's not a sitting president, an insurrection isn't part of his assigned duties, insurrection/conspiracy/sedition is a crime.

So, why is it the only thing happening to him for the 6th is an impeachment that doesn't really do anything? Many are saying the impeachment is justice, but do you really think a non-criminal trial where the only punishment is the barring a 74 year old rich man from holding public office is justice when you claim he's responsible for the deaths of multiple people?

Probably because he was a sitting president on January 6th so his "immunity" still applies on that date. Now if he started an insurrection today, there would no impediment to charging him.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Well, let's be clear --- the impeachment's goal is to remove from office. He's already out. The next step after successfully voting to remove him from office is to ban him from future public office. Both (or either) of those have a snowball's chance in the hot place.

It's simply a revenge action driven by OMB.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        Probably because he was a sitting president on January 6th so his "immunity" still applies on that date. Now if he started an insurrection today, there would no impediment to charging him.
        You mean - an actual insurrection - not just a bunch of rhetoric that could be interpreted as inciting a riot by the OMB crowd? If he were to call for an armed assault on the capital, he should be arrested and held in a psycho ward awaiting an actual trial.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You mean - an actual insurrection - not just a bunch of rhetoric that could be interpreted as inciting a riot by the OMB crowd? If he were to call for an armed assault on the capital, he should be arrested and held in a psycho ward awaiting an actual trial.
          Yes. For me, this impeachment has about as much weight as a single phone call to Ukraine for the previous impeachment. I'm not saying Trump isn't self-serving and a corner cutter. It just seems what they try to use to get him is so flimsy.
          Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 02-02-2021, 09:32 AM. Reason: Added more comments.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Yes. For me, this impeachment has about as much weight as a single phone call to Ukraine for the previous impeachment. I'm not saying Trump isn't self-serving and a corner cutter. It just seems what they try to use to get him is so flimsy.
            It makes it so obvious that it's more about "GET TRUMP" than it is "get justice".

Comment

I will say those who have been the most vocal about his guilt and the outrageousness about his actions are silent about this question.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                If this was a planned insurrection, and trump is responsible for it, why has he not been criminally charged?

He's not a sitting president, an insurrection isn't part of his assigned duties, insurrection/conspiracy/sedition is a crime.

So, why is it the only thing happening to him for the 6th is an impeachment that doesn't really do anything? Many are saying the impeachment is justice, but do you really think a non-criminal trial where the only punishment is the barring a 74 year old rich man from holding public office is justice when you claim he's responsible for the deaths of multiple people?
                I can think of a couple of reasons. They are probably trying to gather more evidence, and they don't want to interfere with the impeachment trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I can think of a couple of reasons. They are probably trying to gather more evidence, and they don't want to interfere with the impeachment trial.
                  I think of the two, a criminal trial is probably more important than the impeachment where the only outcome is barring from future office (something that if convicted of insurrection, would then be easily done via the 14th amendment without a bill of attainder).

Comment

Another reason could be that cooler heads are prevailing and they're realizing they really haven't got a solid case - given that even the MSM has backed off some of their nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Another reason could be that cooler heads are prevailing and they're realizing they really haven't got a solid case - given that even the MSM has backed off some of their nonsense.
                      I certainly wouldn't rule that out.

Impeachment doesn't require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Criminal cases do.

Comment

True. However to get enough Republican votes to convict, the evidence will probably have to reach the reasonable doubt level.

Comment

Correct, because it's not a jury of 6 or 12, but a whole group of 100 Senators -- all of whom will be making political calculations for their own futures.

Comment

I expect the impeachment was a knee jerk reaction, due to feeling violated by the riot. Now that they have impeached, the political cost of doing so to Biden's first 100 days is sinking in, but the political optical reality means they can't back out, leaving the democrats with no real choice but to try and charge forward.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I expect the impeachment was a knee jerk reaction, due to feeling violated by the riot. Now that they have impeached, the political cost of doing so to Biden's first 100 days is sinking in, but the political optical reality means they can't back out, leaving the democrats with no real choice but to try and charge forward.
                              Yes, you also aren't seeing the wall-to-wall coverage in the MSM either this time. I think everybody has realized this time it was an over reaction.

Comment