Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's impeachment lawyers quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's impeachment lawyers quit

The impeachment trial starts in 9 days, with the first legal briefs due in two days. Yesterday, five of Trump's lawyers resigned from the case. To the best of my knowledge, they were his entire legal team.

Butch Bowers, the lead lawyer, wanted to argue that the trial was illegal since Trump is no longer president. Trump rejected that defense, and wanted to argue that there was massive election fraud, and that Trump won the election. So, with the trial days away, Trump has no strategy and no legal team.

As a general rule, a lawyer will resign from a case if the client asks the lawyer to present a legal argument which is a lie, is unethical, or is dangerous to the client. I won't bother providing a link, since every news website is giving major coverage to this story.
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
    The impeachment trial starts in 9 days, with the first legal briefs due in two days. Yesterday, five of Trump's lawyers resigned from the case. To the best of my knowledge, they were his entire legal team.

Butch Bowers, the lead lawyer, wanted to argue that the trial was illegal since Trump is no longer president. Trump rejected that defense, and wanted to argue that there was massive election fraud, and that Trump won the election. So, with the trial days away, Trump has no strategy and no legal team.

As a general rule, a lawyer will resign from a case if the client asks the lawyer to present a legal argument which is a lie, is unethical, or is dangerous to the client. I won't bother providing a link, since every news website is giving major coverage to this story.
    Trump has always been his own worst enemy.

Comment

Giuliani can't defend him because his involvement in the Jan 6 rally makes him a likely witness.

Lawyers for the first impeachment declined to participate.

Dershowitz who helped the first time said he would provide advice, but not work as a defense lawyer.

Trump will have to scramble to find someone, but any high power lawyer will have a reputation to preserve and a desire not to offend current and future clients.

That leaves who?
      Sidney Powell, who was asked to leave after spouting conspiracy theories that were too bizarre even for the WH.
      Lin Wood, who has described himself as the Second Coming.

Maybe they could look into law profs at RW law schools, like Regent (founded by Pat Robertson). There was also a law prof fired from a different law school who backed Trump's claims of a rigged election.

Comment

Trump being banned from public office would be a godsend for Republicans.
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
          Indeed. They hated him for upsetting the status quo and exposing just how deeply they were embedded in the Swamp. They much prefer voters believing the fiction that politicians are public servants with our best interests in mind while they laugh behind closed doors at how stupid we are as they enrich themselves.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So, with the trial days away, Trump has no strategy and no legal team.
            The lead attorney's quit. His entire legal team didn't quit. It would be silly to think that President Trump is now entirely without legal representation.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Indeed. They hated him for upsetting the status quo and exposing just how deeply they were embedded in the Swamp.
              Trump rescinded EO 13770 on his last day in office, pumping water back into the Swamp. Trump is nothing more than an opportunist.

They much prefer voters believing the fiction that politicians are public servants with our best interests in mind

Please produce these voters.

while they laugh behind closed doors at how stupid we are as they enrich themselves.
              Politicians doing that since the first resource allocation committee deciding how to distribute what was hunted or gathered.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Definitely shooting himself in the foot. Time for him to deflate his ego and listen to the actual lawyers.

like, yes, there was fraud, we already know that, but it has nothing to do with what is being brought forth here. The trial isnt constitutional, and the focus needs to be on that (as well as the fact that his statements dont remotely come close to incitement - especially now that we know the violence was planned well before the rally, and that those pipe bombs were place the day before by someone -you cant be guilty of "inciting" something that someone had already planned to do before you even opened your mouth)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  The lead attorney's quit. His entire legal team didn't quit. It would be silly to think that President Trump is now entirely without legal representation.
                  My understanding is the lead lawyers quit, and then shortly after the legal team they had assembled also followed their lead and quit. I'm not aware of any actual legal team/representstion still in place

Comment

It would very likely be to their benefit in the long run, but it would keep them from winning the House or the Senate in 2022, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                      It would very likely be to their benefit in the long run, but it would keep them from winning the House or the Senate in 2022, at least.
                      In order for the Republicans to win the House, they'd have to move more to the center and a good portion of the Dems would have to move way further left. The Republicans could capture more moderate democrats and win the Senate if they move more to the center, but they'd have to be able to overcome the increasing likelihood of DC and Puerto Rico becoming states.

Trump probably killed the GOP.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

It seems to me that the defense Trump wanted to use - that there was massive fraud that 'stole' the election - would have been of no use anyway. Whether the election was fraudulent or not, the law had had its say, due process had been followed (and was continuing) - whether there was fraud or not, what his followers did was still illegal and if (IF) he incited them, he's guilty.

The more interesting angle is whether or not it's constitutional to try him now that he's no longer in office. From what I've read, legal scholars are pretty evenly split.

I'm also distressed at Roberts' refusal to preside. That will taint the entire thing (if it wasn't already).
                        America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

In order for the Republicans to win the House, they'd have to move more to the center and a good portion of the Dems would have to move way further left.
                          Since they are not in power, they don't have to move at all. They just have to wait until some independents become disenchanted with Democrat rule (and maybe help that along with a little obstructionism). The House is so closely divided that just a little swing away from the president's party (which almost always happens at midterms) will throw it to the Republicans. For that matter, just a little more gerrymandering based on Republican wins in 2020 might be enough.

The Republicans could capture more moderate democrats and win the Senate if they move more to the center, but they'd have to be able to overcome the increasing likelihood of DC and Puerto Rico becoming states.
                          I don't expect the Republicans to take the Senate in 2022, because the electoral map is against them.

And while I would like to see DC and Puerto Rico become states, I don't know how likely that is.

Trump probably killed the GOP.
                          I hope that's true, but I don't really see it, especially if Trump remains in control of it.

Comment

I'm not sure Trump needs any lawyers. The threat to start a new party and take his base with him is almost certainly enough to get him an acquittal.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post

I'm also distressed at Roberts' refusal to preside. That will taint the entire thing (if it wasn't already).
                              No. He refused to preside because it is not his constitutional duty to preside. The constitution requires him to preside in impeachment trials of the President.Period. Trump is not president. The Senate president pro tempore has historically presided in impeachment trials of non-president officials in the senate. And this is a senate impeachment trial of not even that but of a private citizen

Comment