Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden pick for AG for Civil Rights is a "Black Supremacist" and anti-Semite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
    I have no doubt about that. It's just special pleading. In the least, SCOTUS recognised quotas were racist against white people in Regents of Univ. of Cal v Bakke.
    The first law class I took in college (they weren't necessary for my major, I was just interested in them) I did a term paper on Bakke which had just been decided.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have no doubt about that. It's just special pleading. In the least, SCOTUS recognised quotas were racist against white people in Regents of Univ. of Cal v Bakke.
      Which is why I got a boatload of cash for being passed over for the Sergeant exam, losing out to people far down the list.

(My best friend got catapulted to division Captain with his own firehouse, and a bunch of back pay)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Racism is currently being redefined by sociologists in such a way that you can't ever be racist towards whatever group happens to be the majority. This redefinition has already made it into certain dictionaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Racism is currently being redefined by sociologists in such a way that you can't ever be racist towards whatever group happens to be the majority. This redefinition has already made it into certain dictionaries.
          I'm not surprised, it still would be special pleading. Dictionaries aren't normative in their meanings but rather descriptive based on common usage. It's like people who argue that atheism is a lack of a belief as that's how dictionary defines it fail to understand that.

Here's a good description of the issue. This builds up to "That is, when it comes to correctness, there's no one in charge. The lunatics are running the asylum". It's about 2 minutes from where the link is time-stamped. The person speaking is Steven Pinker.

https://youtu.be/OV5J6BfToSw?t=2525
          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

...Dictionaries aren't normative in their meanings but rather descriptive based on common usage. ...
            Excellent! Can I use that?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not surprised, it still would be special pleading. Dictionaries aren't normative in their meanings but rather descriptive based on common usage. It's like people who argue that atheism is a lack of a belief as that's how dictionary defines it fail to understand that.

Here's a good description of the issue. This builds up to "That is, when it comes to correctness, there's no one in charge. The lunatics are running the asylum". It's about 2 minutes from where the link is time-stamped. The person speaking is Steven Pinker.

https://youtu.be/OV5J6BfToSw?t=2525
              I agree it is special pleading. The problem is they are trying to conflate the new definition with the old. It certainly appears as if they are intentionally stoking the fires of conflict when they do so. This redefinition will inevitably cause major problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I agree it is special pleading. The problem is they are trying to conflate the new definition with the old. It certainly appears as if they are intentionally stoking the fires of conflict when they do so. This redefinition will inevitably cause major problems.
                It really seems that the publishers of the various dictionaries are in competition to be the wokest.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Excellent! Can I use that?
                  It's fact, so go ahead. Appealing to multiple people using a word with a specific meaning doesn't entail a word ought to used with that specific meaning. It's an ad populum. For example, there's nothing about light reflecting with a wavelength of 450–495 nm that entails "blueness". "Blue" is just a common reference to that wavelength. There's nothing incorrect about calling that wavelength range "green", you're just going to have problems communicating to others when there are linguistic conflicts.
                  Last edited by Diogenes; 02-01-2021, 09:32 AM.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment