Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Capitol Police apologizes, admits advanced intel ... BEFORE insurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capitol Police apologizes, admits advanced intel ... BEFORE insurrection

I want to thank Shuny for bringing this to my attention...

Capitol Police apologizes, admits advanced intel showed Congress was target before insurrection

'We knew there was a strong potential for violence,' acting chief of police said

U.S. Capitol Police apologized to Congress Tuesday for failing to meet its own standards to immediately secure the Capitol building "in the face of a terrorist attack by tens of thousands of insurrectionists determined to stop the certification of Electoral College votes."

"I am here to offer my sincerest apologies on behalf of the Department," acting Chief of Police Yogananda D. Pittman said in a lengthy opening statement during a House Appropriations Committee hearing. "But I am also here to tell you what we are doing to secure the U.S. Capitol from future threats — whether domestic or foreign."

Pittman cited problems with manpower, delayed approval to send in National Guardsmen, and radio communications issues on the day of the attack that would need to be addressed going forward. She also admitted the department "should have been more prepared for this attack" given intelligence it received by Jan. 4 indicating that the Jan. 6 event "would not be like any of the previous protests held in 2020."

Capitol Police did fulfill "its mission of protecting Members and democracy ultimately prevailed," but she said, "insurrectionists’ actions and the Department’s inability to immediately secure the U.S. Capitol emboldened the insurrectionists and horrified millions of Americans."

She explained that the department was already aware that militia groups and White supremacists organizations would be attending an event in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 6 and that some participants were intending to bring firearms and other weapons to the event.

"We knew there was a strong potential for violence and that Congress was the target," Pittman said.

So much for the "spontaneous riot" caused by Trump's speech 1 mile away.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

And note the "tens of thousands of insurrectionists" --- even though the VAST MAJORITY of them were peaceful protesters (no fires raging in the background)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And note the "tens of thousands of insurrectionists" --- even though the VAST MAJORITY of them were peaceful protesters (no fires raging in the background)
      Yeah that's a definite exaggeration. I heard that there were maybe a thousand who broke into the capitol at most. The people outside were not violent and most have said they didn't even know what was going on inside the Capitol at the time until the police started shooing them away.

But yeah, how can they blame Trump for inciting the violence when the people had planned it long before the speech and brought weapons and bombs with them that they made much earlier?

Comment

I want to thank Shuny for bringing this to my attention...

Capitol Police apologizes, admits advanced intel showed Congress was target before insurrection

'We knew there was a strong potential for violence,' acting chief of police said

U.S. Capitol Police apologized to Congress Tuesday for failing to meet its own standards to immediately secure the Capitol building "in the face of a terrorist attack by tens of thousands of insurrectionists determined to stop the certification of Electoral College votes."

"I am here to offer my sincerest apologies on behalf of the Department," acting Chief of Police Yogananda D. Pittman said in a lengthy opening statement during a House Appropriations Committee hearing. "But I am also here to tell you what we are doing to secure the U.S. Capitol from future threats — whether domestic or foreign."

Pittman cited problems with manpower, delayed approval to send in National Guardsmen, and radio communications issues on the day of the attack that would need to be addressed going forward. She also admitted the department "should have been more prepared for this attack" given intelligence it received by Jan. 4 indicating that the Jan. 6 event "would not be like any of the previous protests held in 2020."

Capitol Police did fulfill "its mission of protecting Members and democracy ultimately prevailed," but she said, "insurrectionists’ actions and the Department’s inability to immediately secure the U.S. Capitol emboldened the insurrectionists and horrified millions of Americans."

She explained that the department was already aware that militia groups and White supremacists organizations would be attending an event in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 6 and that some participants were intending to bring firearms and other weapons to the event.

"We knew there was a strong potential for violence and that Congress was the target," Pittman said.

So much for the "spontaneous riot" caused by Trump's speech 1 mile away.
        It is not just the speech, but Trump's inflammatory rhetoric since the election and before. Though his speech did further inflame them giving them further motivation and approval.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          It is not just the speech, but Trump's inflammatory rhetoric since the election and before. Though his speech did further inflame them giving them further motivation and approval.
          But it's perfectly fine for the liberals to "call for action" --- the hypocrisy is incredible.

Comment

But it's perfectly fine for the liberals to "call for action" --- the hypocrisy is incredible.
            That is not all Trump said.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

That is not all Trump said.
              Yes, he literally was standing there handing out sledge hammers and crow bars and foaming at the mouth screaming for them to go smash into the Capitol and take no prisoners.

Comment

Yes, he literally was standing there handing out sledge hammers and crow bars and foaming at the mouth screaming for them to go smash into the Capitol and take no prisoners.
                from Trump's speech concerning the protest at the Capitol:

Anyone you want, but I think right here, we’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them.

Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong. We have come to demand that Congress do the right thing and only count the electors who have been lawfully slated, lawfully slated.

I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.

[emphasis mine]
                https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...ot/ar-BB1cJy5D

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Anyone you want, but I think right here, we’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them.

Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong. We have come to demand that Congress do the right thing and only count the electors who have been lawfully slated, lawfully slated.

I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.

[emphasis mine]
                  Yes, sir, like I said, it was ALL Trump's fault! (come on, man, get with the program - you know - the thing!)

Comment

Yes, sir, like I said, it was ALL Trump's fault! (come on, man, get with the program - you know - the thing!)
                    duh. "peacefully and patriotically" is a White Supremacist dog whistle for "take over the US government with a coup led by some guy in a a buffalo hat"

Comment

[emphasis mine]
                      Trump had been talking about this protest for months, and it was timed so that the speeches would be over just as the votes were about to be counted.
                      Trump had encouraged people to come, promising that it would be "wild", and many of the other speeches at that rally used language referring to fighting.

And when Pence and others were under siege and called the WH, he did not take their calls and waited for hours to ask the rioters to go home (while also telling them he loved them).

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Trump had been talking about this protest for months, and it was timed so that the speeches would be over just as the votes were about to be counted.
                        Trump had encouraged people to come, promising that it would be "wild", and many of the other speeches at that rally used language referring to fighting.

And when Pence and others were under siege and called the WH, he did not take their calls and waited for hours to ask the rioters to go home (while also telling them he loved them).
                        I know there is nothing that can be said to convince people like you kccd. But in a court of law, there needs to be actual evidence, not just rumors and conjecture. There is no evidence that Trump incited any violence in his speech which is what the impeachment trial is asserting. You are free to imagine whatever evil plots you want to.

Comment

I know there is nothing that can be said to convince people like you kccd. But in a court of law, there needs to be actual evidence, not just rumors and conjecture. There is no evidence that Trump incited any violence in his speech which is what the impeachment trial is asserting. You are free to imagine whatever evil plots you want to.
                          The "evidence" is entirely circumstantial, which is always contested in court.

Comment