Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What do democrats do if/when the second impeachment fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    My conspiracy theory daughter told me about that just yesterday -- and, yeah, I checked, and it's not a conspiracy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      It depends. GW was vilified to no end while in office (and rightly so, IMO) but as soon as he left he went into "low-profile" mode and was greatly ignored by the Left.

If Trump continues to make a big splash, which is his nature, the Left will continue to go after him. If he retires quietly, they will have to find another boogeyman to rally their troops.
      I mostly agree, though I would say that if he retired quietly, the Dems wouldn't go after him because he wouldn't be so great a threat to our democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I mostly agree, though I would say that if he retired quietly, the Dems wouldn't go after him because he wouldn't be so great a threat to our democracy.
        Yeah, the Dems risk making Trump a Martyr, and bringing the wrath of his supporters upon themselves. I don't think they care about that, though, because there's the revenge factor.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I mostly agree, though I would say that if he retired quietly, the Dems wouldn't go after him because he wouldn't be so great a threat to our democracy the Democrat party.
          Edited for accuracy.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Oh, I'm only talking about him doing more beauty pageants or reality TV shows. If he stays in the limelight - no matter what he's doing - they will have a target.

Note: This may be his one and only dabble into politics. It's not what he's been aspiring to.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, the Dems risk making Trump a Martyr, and bringing the wrath of his supporters upon themselves. I don't think they care about that, though, because there's the revenge factor.
              Trump supporters can't do much to the Dems. It's the Republicans who have to worry about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Oh, I'm only talking about him doing more beauty pageants or reality TV shows. If he stays in the limelight - no matter what he's doing - they will have a target.

Note: This may be his one and only dabble into politics. It's not what he's been aspiring to.
                He's had four years to learn how much he likes power, and particularly how lucrative it can be.

He can make a lot more money from speeches, books, and donations if he stays in politics, so it's a good bet that he'll stay in politics.

Comment

While the left loathed "Dubya" (and every Republican president since I've been alive with maybe the exception of Eisenhower), they didn't rant and rave about him incessantly.

If he were to die tomorrow Pelosi et al. would likely insist on trying his corpse much like they used to dig up the bodies of people during Medieval times and the Renaissance and try them.

And I'm only half joking. TDS does not allow for rational thought.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Trump supporters can't do much to the Dems. It's the Republicans who have to worry about them.
                    You're bonkers? There is a midterm election on the way, and the First Term of a new POTUS historically sees losses. Ask Obama, who called it a "drubbing" and a "shellacking".

Trump supporters can quite possibly take back both the House and the Senate, because the people don't generally like one Party having complete control of the White house and the Congress.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                      Let's face it. The odds of the democrats successfully impeaching former president trump are slim to none. The odds of them getting 17 republicans to vote to convict won't happen.

What's next?

The 14th amendment was floated before the impeachment, but do you think that a bill of attainder claiming Trump is guilty of insurrection and therefore barred from holding office will be justifiable when the senate just held a trial on the same issue and failed to convict?

The 25th amendment is completely out of the question now, as trump is out of office.

So, after the impeachment likely fails, what is the next step for getting Trump?
                      The AG of New York will indict him for everything from his parents former business connections to his hair.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You're bonkers? There is a midterm election on the way, and the First Term of a new POTUS historically sees losses. Ask Obama, who called it a "drubbing" and a "shellacking".

Trump supporters can quite possibly take back both the House and the Senate, because the people don't generally like one Party having complete control of the White house and the Congress.
                        We live in interesting times and considering that H.R.1 (the first piece of legislation up before the House) will literally make shady voting practices the law of the land forcing all states to follow them, the 2022 midterms might have little or no effect.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The Dems are probably going to lose the House, and stand a chance of losing the Senate, no matter what they do. It's not going to be something Trump supporters do, though I'm sure they will enjoy it. It's just something that happens to the president's party at midterms.

Comment

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/dc-police-capitol-riot-second-officer-suicide-army-tepid-response-national-guard

DC police names second officer suicide after Capitol riot, rails against Army's 'tepid' response

MPD Acting Chief Robert Contee said Army staff hesitated in sending National Guard, citing 'optics of boots on the ground at the Capitol'

A second police officer who responded to the U.S. Capitol riot has died by suicide, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department Acting Chief Robert J. Contee told Congress Tuesday.

Contee, delivering testimony to the House Appropriations Committee, also described a "tepid response" from the Army, which he claimed was concerned over optics of having boots on the ground and was reluctant to send in D.C. National Guard, even as a violent mob overran the protective measures at the Capitol.

During the height of the incident on Jan. 6, approximately 850 Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) members were at the Capitol to assist U.S. Capitol Police, and by the day’s end, an additional estimate of 250 MPD members had been in the area to directly support the response and aftermath, Contee said.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/dc-police-capitol-riot-second-officer-suicide-army-tepid-response-national-guard

DC police names second officer suicide after Capitol riot, rails against Army's 'tepid' response

MPD Acting Chief Robert Contee said Army staff hesitated in sending National Guard, citing 'optics of boots on the ground at the Capitol'

A second police officer who responded to the U.S. Capitol riot has died by suicide, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department Acting Chief Robert J. Contee told Congress Tuesday.

Contee, delivering testimony to the House Appropriations Committee, also described a "tepid response" from the Army, which he claimed was concerned over optics of having boots on the ground and was reluctant to send in D.C. National Guard, even as a violent mob overran the protective measures at the Capitol.

During the height of the incident on Jan. 6, approximately 850 Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) members were at the Capitol to assist U.S. Capitol Police, and by the day’s end, an additional estimate of 250 MPD members had been in the area to directly support the response and aftermath, Contee said.

© Copyright Original Source

You're sourcing Fox News? It's official then; They have joined the mainstream press corp.

Comment

The Dems are probably going to lose the House, and stand a chance of losing the Senate, no matter what they do. It's not going to be something Trump supporters do, though I'm sure they will enjoy it. It's just something that happens to the president's party at midterms.
                                I really don't think "the Republicans" can win back the house and/or the senate WITHOUT "the Trump Supporters". Not sure why you're making this distinction.

Comment