Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do you support the BRICKS Act of 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you support the BRICKS Act of 2020?

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr8757/text

Short version, raises the maximum penalty for rioting/insurrection to 10years, 25 for riots that result in serious bodily injury (or use/threatened use of dangerous weapons fire, explosives), and life for deaths, rape, kidnappings.

Originally posted by rogue06
    Given that the 116th Congress is over and it didn't pass and the new Congress is controlled by those who use rioting as a political tool, the question appears to be moot. Moreover, if prosecutors refuse to charge much less prosecute what difference would it make?
    The bill, has either, or is in the process of, being reintroduced after the capitol riots.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Short version, raises the maximum penalty for rioting/insurrection to 10years, 25 for riots that result in serious bodily injury (or use/threatened use of dangerous weapons fire, explosives), and life for deaths, rape, kidnappings.
      Given that the 116th Congress is over and it didn't pass and the new Congress is controlled by those who use rioting as a political tool, the question appears to be moot. Moreover, if prosecutors refuse to charge much less prosecute what difference would it make? It might even lead to more stand-down orders to insure that the possibility of enforcing any similar legislation in the future doesn't happen

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sorry I deleted rather than edited, then fully deleted and reposted my reply throwing the sequence out of whack.

The bill, has either, or is in the process of, being reintroduced after the capitol riots.
        Again, considering that the party in control utilizes rioting as a political tool it is inconceivable that it'll come up for a vote much less makes it out of subcommittee.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Sorry I deleted rather than edited, then fully deleted and reposted my reply throwing the sequence out of whack.

Again, considering that the party in control utilizes rioting as a political tool it is inconceivable that it'll come up for a vote much less makes it out of subcommittee.
          Well, they've found a new concern on riots. That might help passing. As for prosecution....that's a different question.

Comment

Why are current laws insufficient for dealing with crimes like vandalism, breaking and entering, arson, assault, murder, and so on? What hole in the system is this bill proposing to address?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Well, they've found a new concern on riots. That might help passing. As for prosecution....that's a different question.
              I'm pretty sure they realize that D.C. was an aberrational anomaly and wouldn't be keen in putting something in place that would be far more likely to adversely affect them

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Why are current laws insufficient for dealing with crimes like vandalism, breaking and entering, arson, assault, murder, and so on? What hole in the system is this bill proposing to address?
                Deterrence by severity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Its primary purpose seems to satisfy those who want Congress to "do something" but as long as there is hesitancy to enforce the laws it'll be largely symbolic

Comment

Deterrence by severity.
                    Okay, but why are current laws considered not a sufficient deterrent, especially for things like kidnapping, rape, and murder?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Its primary purpose seems to satisfy those who want Congress to "do something" but as long as there is hesitancy to enforce the laws it'll be largely symbolic
                      Yes, it seems like a political play. My concern is that people with certain "undesirable" political affiliations will be subjected to harsher punishments than others.

Comment

I suspect the current party will focus on expanding "domestic terrorism" laws and on labeling as much of the Right and Libertarian parts of the nation as terrorists as they can. Probably expand surveillance capabilities on us as well.

Comment

Deterrence by severity.
                          Perhaps the flipside of that is that prosecutors may become reluctant to bring such charges except in the most egregious and clear cases, because it might become harder to convict, given the severity of the punishment.
                          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment