Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Unconscious bias training...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    Given that most doctors are white, and relatively few are black, implicit bias among whites is probably more of a concern in the medical profession.

But to answer your question, Pew Research did a study including all ethnic groups:

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015...dults-the-iat/
    Of course whites come out the worse, with blacks coming in second. Did you read my first link on the Implicit Association Test? Not all it is cracked up to be. Here is another link:

For years, this popular test measured anyone’s racial bias. But it might not work after all.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...on-test-racism
    But let me ask you a question. I do not find women with dark skin attractive, never did. Whether black, Latino, or Italian (had a lot of dark skinned Italian women in my old neighborhood). I'm attracted to very light skin women with light brown or blonde hair. Is that bias racist?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Sorry, you don't get to assume my guilt based simply on my skin color.
      No one has said that you are biased.

Comment

No one has said that you are biased.
        You used the phrase "implicit bias among whites" suggesting that guilt is derived from skin color rather than from actions.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You used the phrase "implicit bias among whites" suggesting that guilt is derived from skin color rather than from actions.
          Learn to read.

All the phrase "implicit bias among whites" suggests is that some whites have implicit bias. It says nothing about how that implicit bias is derived, nor anything at all about "guilt".

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Of course whites come out the worse, with blacks coming in second. Did you read my first link on the Implicit Association Test? Not all it is cracked up to be. Here is another link:
            Your links suggest that unconscious bias may be more against one's out-group than against particular races, and that unconscious bias is difficult to measure in an individual.

I don't have a problem with either hypothesis, and look forward to hearing more along those lines.

But let me ask you a question. I do not find women with dark skin attractive, never did. Whether black, Latino, or Italian (had a lot of dark skinned Italian women in my old neighborhood). I'm attracted to very light skin women with light brown or blonde hair. Is that bias racist?
            No, I wouldn't consider that bias racist. Even if it is, it's not racist in a bad way (at least not for the darker skinned women ).

Comment

Learn to read.

All the phrase "implicit bias among whites" suggests is that some whites have implicit bias. It says nothing about how that implicit bias is derived, nor anything at all about "guilt".
              The fact that you seem to think that only whites have "implicit bias" makes your objections ring hollow.

Comment

The fact that you seem to think that only whites have "implicit bias" makes your objections ring hollow.
                If it seems to you that I think only whites have implicit bias, you should read more carefully.

Comment

If it seems to you that I think only whites have implicit bias...
                  Because you literally said "implicit bias among whites".

Comment

Because you literally said "implicit bias among whites".
                    I 'literally said' "Given that most doctors are white, and relatively few are black, implicit bias among whites is probably more of a concern in the medical profession." (Not that it should need to be said, but implied at the end of that sentence was "than implicit bias among blacks.")

I then added a link that proved that implicit bias does NOT only exist among whites.

Comment

Learn to read.

The problem today is too many people have the belief "ALL whites have implicit bias." I'm guilty simply because I am white.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I 'literally said' "Given that most doctors are white, and relatively few are black, implicit bias among whites is probably more of a concern in the medical profession." (Not that it should need to be said, but implied at the end of that sentence was "than implicit bias among blacks.")

I then added a link that proved that implicit bias does NOT only exist among whites.
                        I don't know about where you are but around here, I would say most doctors are Indian.

And I wanted to point out the implicit white bias in your avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I don't know about where you are but around here, I would say most doctors are Indian.
                          I was going by this data.

And I wanted to point out the implicit white bias in your avatar!
                          Care to elaborate?

Comment

I was going by this data.

Care to elaborate?
                            It's an all white statue!!!! You must have picked it unconsciously due to your unconscious white racism!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It's an all white statue!!!! You must have picked it unconsciously due to your unconscious white racism!
                              Is this better?

epiciteus inverted.jpg

Comment

Is this better?

epiciteus inverted.jpg
                                Nope, It's worse! Now you are just using "blackface" on your white statue.

Comment