Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Unconscious bias training...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unconscious bias training...

Coming to a theater near you...

Unconscious biases are social stereotypes about certain groups of people that individuals form outside their own conscious awareness. Everyone holds unconscious beliefs about various social and identity groups, and these biases stem from one’s tendency to organize social worlds by categorizing.

Unconscious bias is far more prevalent than conscious prejudice and often incompatible with one’s conscious values. Certain scenarios can activate unconscious attitudes and beliefs. For example, biases may be more prevalent when multi-tasking or working under time pressure.

https://diversity.ucsf.edu/resources/unconscious-bias
    This is a new fav of the left. When they speak of hidden racism for instance they are largely pointing the finger at whites. But a man can not know what his unconscious bias is because, well, it is unconscious. This seem to be a exercise in futility, or more correctly, used to accuse one of racism or bias for which there is no defense. You can't deny that you are prejudice because your bias is hidden from your conscious self. So we will just assume that you are....

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Classic Kafkatrapping, where protestations of innocence are seen as proof of guilt.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Classic Kafkatrapping, where protestations of innocence are seen as proof of guilt.
      That is exactly right.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Works both ways! This proves that all liberals are racists, since they unconsciously see racism everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Works both ways! This proves that all liberals are racists, since they unconsciously see racism everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            You seem to have forgotten that only conservatives can be racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You seem to have forgotten that only conservatives can be racist.
              That is just the liberal's unconscious bias making them say that.

Comment

Interestingly enough, none of Twebs liberals are jumping in to defend the training...
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  Interestingly enough, none of Twebs liberals are jumping in to defend the training...
                  Perhaps they have an unconscious bias towards rationality? Am I giving then too much credit?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    This is a new fav of the left. When they speak of hidden racism for instance they are largely pointing the finger at whites. But a man can not know what his unconscious bias is because, well, it is unconscious. This seem to be a exercise in futility, or more correctly, used to accuse one of racism or bias for which there is no defense. You can't deny that you are prejudice because your bias is hidden from your conscious self. So we will just assume that you are...
                    After browsing the site you liked, I'd say it isn't intended so much for accusing people of racism, as to address the unintended harm caused by unconscious biases. This is especially important for doctors. The same might be said for police officers.

Source: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/resources/strategies-assess-unconscious-bias

The IAT (Implicit Association Test) is powerful instrument, which has been used to explore the impact of unconscious bias on behavior. Here are some examples highlighting the use of the IAT in healthcare.

• A greater pro-White bias (measured using the IAT) among physicians resulted in an increased likelihood of prescribing thrombolytics for White patients compared to Blacks presenting with acute coronary syndrome (Green, 2007).
                    • A greater pro-White bias (measured using the IAT) was associated with a greater inclination to prescribe pain medications for White versus Black children (Sabin, 2012).
                    • Greater pro-White bias (measured using the IAT) was associated with poorer ratings of interpersonal care among Black patients (Cooper, 2012).

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                      After browsing the site you liked, I'd say it isn't intended so much for accusing people of racism, as to address the unintended harm caused by unconscious biases. This is especially important for doctors. The same might be said for police officers.

Source: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/resources/strategies-assess-unconscious-bias

The IAT (Implicit Association Test) is powerful instrument, which has been used to explore the impact of unconscious bias on behavior. Here are some examples highlighting the use of the IAT in healthcare.

• A greater pro-White bias (measured using the IAT) among physicians resulted in an increased likelihood of prescribing thrombolytics for White patients compared to Blacks presenting with acute coronary syndrome (Green, 2007).
                      • A greater pro-White bias (measured using the IAT) was associated with a greater inclination to prescribe pain medications for White versus Black children (Sabin, 2012).
                      • Greater pro-White bias (measured using the IAT) was associated with poorer ratings of interpersonal care among Black patients (Cooper, 2012).

© Copyright Original Source

How come there are only 'pro white' biases?

Comment

How come there are only 'pro white' biases?
                        I don't think it's true that there are only 'pro white' biases.

Comment

I don't think it's true that there are only 'pro white' biases.

Really, I looked at your link - where are the racial biases of other ethnic groups? The studies? Or is this all just another attack on "whiteness?"

Does the Implicit Association Test (IAT) Really Measure Racial Prejudice? Probably Not

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...cial-prejudice

Comment

Really, I looked at your link - where are the racial biases of other ethnic groups? The studies? Or is this all just another attack on "whiteness?"
                            Given that most doctors are white, and relatively few are black, implicit bias among whites is probably more of a concern in the medical profession.

But to answer your question, Pew Research did a study including all ethnic groups:

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015...dults-the-iat/

Comment

...implicit bias among whites...
                              Sorry, you don't get to assume my guilt based simply on my skin color.

Comment