Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Called it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    The problem is, the setup of the United States government makes it so difficult to pass laws (it has to get a majority of the House and 60% of the Senate and the president's signature) that to actually get stuff done in a timely fashion, or to get stuff done at all, you end up having to go the Executive Orders route.
    No, you just have to start crafting actual give-and-take, compromise legislation, instead of the take-take-take my way or the highway legislation that seems common today. Or, you know, just stop bloody well passing so many useless laws.

Comment

The problem is, the setup of the United States government makes it so difficult to pass laws (it has to get a majority of the House and 60% of the Senate and the president's signature) that to actually get stuff done in a timely fashion, or to get stuff done at all, you end up having to go the Executive Orders route.
      60% in the Senate is only needed for controversial legislation and only a small percentage requires it. The process is purposefully designed to allow some time to think about what you're doing so legislation doesn't get rammed through in a heated frenzy. This crap of you must pass the legislation in order to find out what's in it ought to be repugnant to everyone. And we don't need presidents from either party "ruling" through fiat. We elected a president not a king.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Our system of government was intentionally designed to be a slow and deliberative process where laws can not be easily and hastily passed. It's not a bug, it's a feature, and trying to use presidential executive orders to bypass Congress is not only a bad idea but is unconstitutional. There is, in fact, a legal theory that says that executive orders only apply to members of the executive branch and can and should be ignored by citizens.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

One of the first things I thought of when I saw the video of Biden admitting that "I don't know what I'm signing" was those episodes of M*A*S*H where a distracted Colonel Blake would sign a bunch of documents that Radar handed him and then would ask him "What was all that I just signed?"
          sign here.jpg

As Cow Poke noted in another thread, old Joe's keepers now have him holding up the Executive Orders and explaining what it is he is signing in an attempt at damage control. Apparently, in spite of the MSM ignoring the fact he was caught on a hot mic confusedly wondering what it was he was even signing as he still signed "his" E.O.s, more and more people have been made aware of this frightening loss of cognitive abilities.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            As Cow Poke noted in another thread, old Joe's keepers now have him holding up the Executive Orders and explaining what it is he is signing in an attempt at damage control. Apparently, in spite of the MSM ignoring the fact he was caught on a hot mic confusedly wondering what it was he was even signing as he still signed "his" E.O.s, more and more people have been made aware of this frightening loss of cognitive abilities.
            It's even worse than I thought - I hadn't seen the lead-up to the signing -- he's literally reading from a stack of note cards on his desk - he kinda fumbles with them - and doesn't even try to hide it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C84D&FORM=VIRE,

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's even worse than I thought - I hadn't seen the lead-up to the signing -- he's literally reading from a stack of note cards on his desk - he kinda fumbles with them - and doesn't even try to hide it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C84D&FORM=VIRE,

Yeah it is clear he didn't write the EO's or even know what they were, just before he signed it, he seemed to read a summary on the page and then sign it. Who knows what was in them? He sure didn't.

Comment