Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Called it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faber View Post

I forgot to add sex change to that.
    The InternetzWeb allows us to be whoever (or whatever) we desire!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post
      To follow up. The hat was part of a gift exchange between the two diplomatic missions. The Americans gave the Russians some potatoes, and the Russians gave the hat to Psaki, so she put it on for the photo, but did not keep it.
      Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      Considering this was back before Russia invaded Crimea, what exactly do you think was wrong with being polite? It's not like she kept the hat.
      The bolded part is a non-starter. It is extremely rare for someone like her to keep any gifts given by foreign dignitaries. There are strict rules and guidelines regarding that, which is why presidential libraries are usually stuffed with such mementos. And that goes for aids and assistants as well since such gifts can be construed as backdoor offerings -- including fairly insignificant ones such as ceremonial pens and even pink hats with an old Soviet Union pin on the front of it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Normally you thank someone and hand off the gift.
        I'm sure that's what Trump would have done.

Comment

Did President Trump ever look at an executive order, say, "I don't know what this is," and then sign it anyway?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Because he would put on a pink cap with an old Soviet Union pin on the front of it and muss up his perfect hair?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Of course he knew the content of the set of each one of those EOs, but not necessarily the order in which he signed them.

Trump governed by EO, and yet the right wing gave him a pass on that.

Since they have nothing actual to complain about when it comes to Joe, they are going with the EOs for now.

I am sure this will soon be followed by complaints about the deficit/debt, although they had no problems with Trump's deficit/debt (now inherited by Biden).
              I've criticized the governance by EOs for decades now from both sides. Both because of the abuse of power and because it is relatively pointless because the minutenl your party loses power, their EOs are just going to get reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I've criticized the governance by EOs for decades now from both sides. Both because of the abuse of power and because it is relatively pointless because the minutenl your party loses power, their EOs are just going to get reversed.
                Not all are. Many are on trivial matters that few still care about or would even now matter if they were reversed. And some become popular and the incoming Administration is loathe to reverse them even if they don't support them.

Comment

The bolded part is a non-starter. It is extremely rare for someone like her to keep any gifts given by foreign dignitaries. There are strict rules and guidelines regarding that, which is why presidential libraries are usually stuffed with such mementos. And that goes for aids and assistants as well since such gifts can be construed as backdoor offerings -- including fairly insignificant ones such as ceremonial pens and even pink hats with an old Soviet Union pin on the front of it.
                  Isn’t there a price limit on official gifts? We have one in Australia so our officials are allowed to keep gifts under a certain price and must declare if over the price or uncertain of price.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

Isn’t there a price limit on official gifts? We have one in Australia so our officials are allowed to keep gifts under a certain price and must declare if over the price or uncertain of price.
                    That's part of it, but as I indicated even trivial gifts get handed over since there is the optics thing.

Comment

So you quote the libertarian, Rall, who disliked Obama for being too conservative, and who also dislikes Biden? OK, no surprise there.
                      Un, what in the world are you talking about? Rall is not even remotely libertarian.

indeed here he is attacking and blaming libertarians/libertarianism for Potholes in Cali:
                      https://reason.com/2015/06/02/lousy-...ertarian-negl/

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                        Un, what in the world are you talking about? Rall is not even remotely libertarian.

indeed here he is attacking and blaming libertarians/libertarianism for Potholes in Cali:
                        https://reason.com/2015/06/02/lousy-...ertarian-negl/
                        It was nothing more than an incredibly pathetic and lame attempt to dismiss the fact that even those on the left (and by any measure Rall is well to the left) have noted that Biden is in rapidly declining cognitive health.

She needs to believe it is all part of some imaginary vast rightwing conspiracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

You sure this is a replacement and not a name change?
                          you mean Jiml is self Identifying or had a sex change?

Comment

Because he would put on a pink cap with an old Soviet Union pin on the front of it and muss up his perfect hair?
                            Because politeness was never really his thing.

Comment

It doesn't matter how she obtained it. Anyone with even a smidgen of common sense would know better than to pose for pictures wearing a hat like that with an old Soviet Union pin on it -- unless they saw absolutely nothing wrong with doing so.
                              Well, in their defense, this was done at a time when democrats were smugly telling people who thought Russia was a foe that the 80's wanted their foreign policy back...

Comment

Because politeness was never really his thing.
                                But at least he would have had common sense, something that at the very least, Psaki shows she is sorely lacking in.

Comment